The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Jacob Markstrom for Roberto Luongo?

Rush17

Would you trade Jacob Markstrom for a year or two of Roberto Luongo?   

52 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is purely hypothetical. Roberto Luongo said in an interview with Sportsnet 650 today heading into tonight's game. He just wants to get back to the playoffs. 

IF:

- Florida is out of the playoff picture come the deadline.

- Vancouver is in or near a playoff spot come the deadline.

- Markstrom is just average like last season.

- Demko is showing he's going to be NHL ready soon!

Would you do a 1 for 1 swap of Jacob Markstrom back to Florida for Roberto Luongo? to give us a chance! at winning a stanley cup of the backs of Elias Pettersson, Brock Boeser, Bo Horvat, Quinn Hughes and Roberto Luongo? lol

There are a lot of IF's here. But its a hypothetical :D It would be really fun to see Lou back in a nux uniform.  He might even be willing to come back under the new management. 

Only reason I do this swap is so the Canucks can put him on LTIR and not get cap penalized? or however that is too work....

Markstrom can fetch us a pick (3rd round maybe). Luongo despite still playing stellar at time will go down more, and he won't love the media when he has a negative game. 

10 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

He wouldn't want to come back in a million years, honestly. I don't think I'd want it either. Luongo is a legend as far as I'm concerned, but the exit was sour on both ends.

How was it sour on his end? He handled it like a gentleman. We never should have shoved him out the door. With that said though, I imagine he's content being close to his family. Especially with all that is going on in Florida seemingly every month.

26 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

How was it sour on his end? He handled it like a gentleman. We never should have shoved him out the door. With that said though, I imagine he's content being close to his family. Especially with all that is going on in Florida seemingly every month.

I mean he left, understandably, with a sour taste in his mouth toward the city due to the media and the management. While the city was left with a sour taste in their mouth toward how the entire goalie saga ended/was handled.

Not that Luongo handled it in a sour way. It's just that nobody was happy with anything that happened.

5 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

I mean he left, understandably, with a sour taste in his mouth toward the city due to the media and the management. While the city was left with a sour taste in their mouth toward how the entire goalie saga ended/was handled.

Not that Luongo handled it in a sour way. It's just that nobody was happy with anything that happened.

I would think the media would embrace him if he was backstopping the kids. I personally would be supportive of it but yeah his wife may veto it. Maybe she wants to move to Canada though to get away from all the gun violence?

I think it would be a really cool story but obviously all that criteria would need to match for even the remotest chance of it happening.

44 minutes ago, BananaMash said:

He wouldn't want to come back in a million years, honestly. I don't think I'd want it either. Luongo is a legend as far as I'm concerned, but the exit was sour on both ends.

I would argue the team and management is all new. The city is embracing the kids and if markstrom is just average maybe it works for us and gives FLA an average starter for the duration. Just an idea that came to me.

sure let's bring back luongo

and promise him we are bringing back torts as well

:P

match made in heaven :wub:

what is with this love of ex canucks

i mean i still love those ex canucks

but just don't love any of them to return to our present team

the memories are just fine

the present love does not need to be altered by that sort of reunion

4 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

sure let's bring back luongo

and promise him we are bringing back torts as well

:P

match made in heaven :wub:

what is with this love of ex canucks

i mean i still love those ex canucks

but just don't love any of them to return to our present team

the memories are just fine

the present love does not need to be altered by that sort of reunion

I think he would be an upgrade over markstrom lol. Him being an old Canuck legend only makes it cooler. It would be sweet to see him retire in Vancouver. I hope he gets a place in our ring of honour.

1 minute ago, Rush17 said:

I think he would be an upgrade over markstrom lol. Him being an old Canuck legend only makes it cooler. It would be sweet to see him retire in Vancouver. I hope he gets a place in our ring of honour.

nostalgia is great

we have plenty of room for him

he can sit beside tanev and guddy on the injury list

since he is also spending a lot of time on there these past seasons

he is clearly breaking down and nearing the end

so not sure how useful an upgrade he can realistically be

this team really needs players with a recent track record of

being healthy

the opposite is very unhelpful

1 hour ago, PunjabiCanucks said:

Only reason I do this swap is so the Canucks can put him on LTIR and not get cap penalized? or however that is too work....

Markstrom can fetch us a pick (3rd round maybe). Luongo despite still playing stellar at time will go down more, and he won't love the media when he has a negative game. 

He has to pass a league doctor too for that kind of situation, can't just fake it to get around his crappy contract.

Archived