The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We cant complain about injuries

drsofthands

Every year on these boards I always hear, oh we would have been better if we werent injured... we had injuries to our key guys... we were just unlucky..

guess what? its not unlucky. There is a reason every year we have so many injuries. Because opposing players know they can mess with our stars with no retalliation. Dont whine about the refs, whats a 2 min powerplay for a young superstar. 

We need to start playing dirty, or our young guys are going to go into their primes riddled with injury history.

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

We always knew this would be a risk with Elias.  

Matheson does that to any other of our young guys and they probably don't get injured and thrown over so easy.  

Most aren't expecting or bracing for a body slam.  This isn't a Pettersson issue...this was a dirty play that shouldn't happen. 

I understand the varying opinions on whether or not there should have been an immediate response based on the potential outcome of the game.Maybe you don't want to take an instigator penalty or misconduct but I cannot accept that no one on the ice at the time got in Matheson's face, threatened him with severe retribution, got involved with a little face washing and generally engaged in a bit of a melee. All of that, at a minimum, could have been accomplished without jeopardizing the outcome of the game....who knows, they may have got Matheson to start the fight.

Personally, I believe they should have been more cognizant of the long term impact of not responding to a player taking liberties with our young budding superstar as opposed to the short term impact of potentially not getting their 2 points. A statement needed to be made that we will not tolerate this type of dirty play against our young stars, or any other players for that matter, without severe retribution. Tonight we failed to do that and the entire organization needs to look in the mirror and make decisions on what they intend to do to address this.

Otherwise, what exactly does Benning mean when he talks about acquiring players that "will provide a safe working environment"?

idgaf what the score is or what point of the game it is. your superstar goes down and the opposing player don't even get a love tap. that's leading by example right there.. don't worry guys we don't care if you get hurt i just want to win the game.. ever since the boston series teams been taking liberty at our star player and 9 out of 10 times we have 0 response.. i don't even care if you dont' fight him.. lay someone out with a big clean hit on their star player.. do something.. this team is frustrating to watch at times and i never blamed injury.. a lot of times we invited the injury

Regarding Beagle's injury; being someone who remembers the old long gloves, I'm sick and tired of wrist injuries that could be prevented by properly designed gloves and equipment.  Also, all the players on the PK and defenseman should be required to wear extra protective equipment so these shot blocking injuries can be prevented.  Now I hear we'll lose Beagle (one of our best PKers) for at least 6 weeks (broken bone).  As for Pettersson, yes we do need to stand up for our stars and Matheson's hit was dirty (he should receive a suspension).  On the positive side, I'm glad the team dug down and won the game for the two players we lost to injury.

6 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

LOL You think Benning is trolling the CDC forums and decides his hockey moves based on fan reaction? 

You totally missed the point. Much of the fan base and media complain that we need a tougher team only when a hit like this happens. The rest of the time they complain about role players taking a “young guys” spot. It’s annoying, pick a side.

Teams  always chasing the play will always sustain more injuries.

When you dictate the play your the one initiating ready for contact and not in vulnerable positions as often. 

The oilers spent years watching there kids get injured chasing the play. 

Tanev getting leveled and blocking 20+ shots isn’t sustainable especially with the minutes he logs it inevitable. 

The tougher team is so when someone takes a cheap shot some one steps up.

So signing guys to step up and none do kinda makes them useless. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived