The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Trade for a player with grit/heart

Yes this is because of the EP40 hit, but should we look at acquiring a player that actually does stand up for his teammates? Not saying we need a goon, he doesn't have to play every game, we are sitting 2 forwards as it is. So if a guy is being say I would like it to be someone with a backbone and some heart who wont watch his teammates let alone our rookie superstar get hurt and do nothing about it.

Or do we sign K. Bieksa to a 1yr swan song contract, even at his age he would stand up for his teammates. 

I will mention the obvious name as a trade candidate Matt Martin-can he and Gudbranson get along on the same team, I think they can.

Any other physical players out their who have a reputation for standing up for their teammates that we could acquire to play a bottom pair or 4th line type of role. Doesn't have to be a full time player but a guy who plays with and edge and HAS Heart!!!

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

How much in cap space to we really want filling up the bottom six up front?

What you want is guys that can fill the top six of the roster (or be top 4 guys).  Those guys, teams don't deal unless you really overpay (for obvious reasons).

Trade Schaller for someone with grit, heart and is willing to drop the gloves when his best skilled teammate gets hit like that. never understood that signing for the life of me. We have so many smaller skilled type players and not enough  guys that play with heart. Virtanen, I was hoping he would play a more physical role be like Tom Wilson but smarter with his hitting style but that doesnt seem to be the case

I think you have the wrong idea here Canuckster…..

We need to have players that play full time that have that edge. We need to supplement our small skilled guys with larger skilled guys, who have the skill to play with the Petterssons of the world...aka Brady Tkachuk, type. Hard to find in middle rounds, so as we finish topping off our skill, we should also be starting to focus on other attributes, as well.....not a good, but skilled guys with size, and edge. 

Flash, is not the only thing needed...…..aka Tom Wilson's edge...… ………...everyone knows who he is, and when he plays in the grey area, he can be very effective.

Trade Eriksson for Milan Lucic? Lucic's contract is worse than Eriksson (it is 1 year longer) but if the management wants to overcompensate for yesterday's event to satisfy the fans, this trade would be such move.

I'm not in favor of this idea but if we really wanted to get one player to step it up when retribution is needed, it would be Lucic.

Put Lucic on EP's wing and I bet Lucic's career will be resurrected a bit as well.

9 minutes ago, khay said:

Trade Eriksson for Milan Lucic? Lucic's contract is worse than Eriksson (it is 1 year longer) but if the management wants to overcompensate for yesterday's event to satisfy the fans, this trade would be such move.

I'm not in favor of this idea but if we really wanted to get one player to step it up when retribution is needed, it would be Lucic.

Put Lucic on EP's wing and I bet Lucic's career will be resurrected a bit as well.

Lucic had no success playing on McDavid's line so I would have serious doubts about his ability to play with EP40 as well.

I think we need to know if the coaching staff held the players in check before we crucify all of our players. I find it very hard to believe that not one of our "character" players challenged Matheson without being directed to focus on the outcome of the game by the coaching staff. If it is a coaching decision, it will do us no good to bring in other players.

3 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

what about ross johnston from the isles?  or mark borowiecki from ottawa ?

to sad dorsett is done with hockey ...he would have jumped in for EP 

Would they trade the younger version of Matt Martin? He has good size, can he skate?

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Lucic had no success playing on McDavid's line so I would have serious doubts about his ability to play with EP40 as well.

I think we need to know if the coaching staff held the players in check before we crucify all of our players. I find it very hard to believe that not one of our "character" players challenged Matheson without being directed to focus on the outcome of the game by the coaching staff. If it is a coaching decision, it will do us no good to bring in other players.

I understand your concern and agree with it to some extent. Lucic couldn't keep up with McDavid's speed. Frankly, not many players in the NHL can. Maybe Dylan Larkin, Ehlers?

But Lucic may be able to play well with EP since EP doesn't rely too much on speed.

3 minutes ago, Dombrova22 said:

You guys aren't realizing that Green specifically told HIS players NOT TO RESPOND!!!! Roussel/Guddy/Schaller and Virt to a certain bit would stand up for teammates! 

So all the blame goes on the coach for not allowing his team to stand up for their star? Green is from the rough era of NHL hockey. If he cares more about 2 pts than the safety of his star then that isnt good. he is only looking out for his job safety not the players...

If I was a player I would have done it anyway, is the coach really going to bench you the next game for doing the right thing and standing up for your young phenom....I doubt it!

We started the season with a great attitude towards how to play the game and "initiate" the aggressive play. By not initiating this type of play, the oppositions smaller skilled players have more confidence in skating with the puck and their "tough guys" feel they can take more liberties because the opposition is not playing them tough. 

Guys like Virtanen and Guddy "NEED" to finish those big checks right off the bat to show the opposition we mean business. Much the same that Beagle does in front of the net. 

There also needs to be an immediate response by the line mates on the ice at the time our player gets roughed up. This did not happen, this needs to change.

5 minutes ago, khay said:

I understand your concern and agree with it to some extent. Lucic couldn't keep up with McDavid's speed. Frankly, not many players in the NHL can. Maybe Dylan Larkin, Ehlers?

But Lucic may be able to play well with EP since EP doesn't rely too much on speed.

Nothing is impossible but I think it is a lot more than the speed factor when it came to Lucic's failure to fit with McDavid. Patrick Maroon had been the best fit for McDavid's wing and I don't think he is any faster than Lucic.

Personally. I wouldn't trade to get either Lucic or Maroon but, hey, that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Bombastik der Teutone said:

johnston ?? not sure .  he has not played any game yet even the isles signed him 4 years in the summer. 

he had 3 goals ,6 points and 62 pims in 24 games last season 

wow 4yrs @1m nice and cheap, be a steal if we could get him. Schaller for him!?

I didn't want to see anybody take a cheap shot at Matheson, but he needed to be challenged to a fight. 
Guddy could have bloodied up the guy's forehead a bit and be done with it.

I don't personally think EP40 will miss much/any time. It was a sickening sight to see him dumped like that, but it happens. He'll be fine.

We're all just in a panic because it's Elias. We're protective of our superstar.

Archived