The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Biega & Dano

86Viking

1 minute ago, FedorFedorov said:

Way to treat loyal players well Benning. Biega is a hard worker and deserves a spot on this team. Bad move. 

Biega is our #8 dman. He has always been our #8 dman and will continue to be. Benning gave him a 1 way contract worth $825,000 so he will continue to be paid well in utica. Now the man can actually play hockey instead of being a full time press box warmer.

21 minutes ago, FedorFedorov said:

Way to treat loyal players well Benning. Biega is a hard worker and deserves a spot on this team. Bad move. 

Biega knows his role as a fringe NHL player. He is happy to get his chances and collect his paycheck. I tip my hat to the guy for being a great team man and knowing his role. All good. 

54 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

Now that Pettersson will miss a few games, I'm surprised that only one call up has happened. Often, this is where a 'good soldier' like Archibald might get a brief NHL pay cheque.

I think he is on a one way deal, which would mean he gets paid an NHL salary anyways.

1 minute ago, Bure_Pavel said:

I think he is on a one way deal, which would mean he gets paid an NHL salary anyways.

There's still a day to go, so perhaps a move is still going to happen. Perhaps Biega sticks around.

But.....no, Archibald is on a 2-way 650k/ 250k.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

up to 50% was literally 1 win in 2 faceoffs.

I always look at win/loss stats before claiming a players faceoff prowess haha. Leipsic is the same, he has a great FO % but has only taken something like 10 draws in his NHL career. Same with Schaller, not a large sample size at center.

2 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I always look at win/loss stats before claiming a players faceoff prowess haha. Leipsic is the same, he has a great FO % but has only taken something like 10 draws in his NHL career. Same with Schaller, not a large sample size at center.

At least with Schaller you're looking at a couple hundred faceoffs in Boston - not bad at 46.6% considering a high percentage of dzone draws.

A placeholding option until Beagle returns.

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

At least with Schaller you're looking at a couple hundred faceoffs in Boston - not bad at 46.6% considering a high percentage of dzone draws.

A placeholding option until Beagle returns.

True, he has a larger sample size. I think him and Granlund are decent place holder centers, both are around 46-48 % career average. Granlund plays well in the defensive center role, but just isn't the best at winning draws. Looks like we'll see Granny today at 4C, but if he craps the bed I wonder if Schaller will get a go at it?

Bednar was an assistant coach in the AHL when they both were still in the Columbus system.

Dano was waived to make room for Petan.  The Jets wanted to give him an opportunity to play - says he's too young (he's 23) to go through what he did last year.

On 15/10/2018 at 2:01 AM, oldnews said:

I'm not arguing for or against Dano - just that folks here and elsewhere that want to play him at center - he's won about a handful of faceoffs in the last few years.

He might be a reasonable winger addition under the circumstances - but this is the first time in quite some time that the team has youth depth from within to lean on, so I'm not sure they'll seriously consider Dano - although one argument in favour may be the camp that some young guys had.  Another factor is that he's had a difficult lineup to crack in Winnipeg.

Schaller and Granlund can both play center.

Leipsic and Motte back in the lIneup.

Recall Gaunce or Archie - or try Dano as  a 13th?

He is in my minor league team in the CDCGML.

I believe the Canucks should claim him and put him on the a line with Boeser and Horvat.

Archived