The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Trevor Linden set to speak with Sportsnet 650 Tomorrow Morning @ 6AM

Rush17

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why do you think you deserve answers?  You're a fan, not an insider.  Enjoy the hockey, the rest is none of your business

Except that for the bulk of fans, part of their fandom is being engaged in the stories around the team and players.  If it is just hockey, then turn on any random game and not care about the jersey on their backs.

This franchise has, of recent years, done a poor job of engaging fans by failing to make them feel part of the team and the journey.  It is harder without the playoffs to engage folks... but some teams do it better than others.

The attendance and apathy has been showing in ratings and ticket sales.

...and the hockey has been terrible.

19 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't get why so many want some mud slinging and controversy.  Do you really think that is a good thing for our team? 

Trevor helped out the team when it was at one of it's lowest times.  The plan wasn't for him to spend the rest of his life on the job.  Why not just leave it at that and move on; just like the people that actually have a real part in all of this.

Actually that was the plan. In one of his first interviews he said he was going to be here for a long long time.

22 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I don't get why so many want some mud slinging and controversy.  Do you really think that is a good thing for our team? 

Trevor helped out the team when it was at one of it's lowest times.  The plan wasn't for him to spend the rest of his life on the job.  Why not just leave it at that and move on; just like the people that actually have a real part in all of this.

because after years of poking fun at the Oilers 10 year rebuild we have discovered that we are infact in our own 10 year rebuild.

where's the fun in that?

might as well turn ourselves into Ottawa

its much more fun out there, woot

6 minutes ago, Westcoasting said:

Actually that was the plan. In one of his first interviews he said he was going to be here for a long long time.

Never heard him say that.  Sounds like an odd thing to say, knowing how short lived management jobs in the hockey world are.

12 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Never heard him say that.  Sounds like an odd thing to say, knowing how short lived management jobs in the hockey world are.

I remember something along those lines.

He also said he was not getting hired by the Canucks, the day before he was hired.

The funny thing is when Jim +  Trev were hired it was Jim that was known as a poor speaker and it was expected that Trevor would handle PR and announcments.

Trevor shot himself in the foot before his hiring and never really recovered.

If you tink about it he actually said a few things that did not make sense.

Trevor was the media guy that needed a media guy

What part of “He had his first kid” don’t some of you door knobs not understand?!? 

Stop looking for something that isn’t there. It’s the most logical and obvious explanation.  

Have you ever had a stressful job where you’re on call 24/7 and have to answer for all the little decisions that you make? 

Didn’t think so.

1 minute ago, VancouverHabitant said:

What part of “He had his first kid” don’t some of you door knobs not understand?!? 

Stop looking for something that isn’t there. It’s the most logical and obvious explanation.  

Have you ever had a stressful job where you’re on call 24/7 and have to answer for all the little decisions that you make? 

Didn’t think so.

Fundamental difference separated Trevor Linden from Canucks' ownership

Almost six weeks after the fact, Trevor Linden still isn’t ready to talk publicly and that’s not likely to change any time soon.

Linden, of course, has dropped off the grid since he was removed as the Canucks’ president in late July but, over a series of texts, he sounded philosophical about his fate.

Loosely stated, Linden wrote his relationship with the Aquilinis had become irreparably damaged. He favoured a patient, strategic approach to the team’s rebuild. Ownership had a different view.

He also wrote that, given that work environment, it was better that he moved on. There remain about 312 unanswered questions about this whole mess but neither Linden, nor the Aquilinis, are going to answer them.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/willes-musings-questions-continue-to-hound-canucks-over-lindens-departure

There are questions because Linden hasn't provided answers. 

22 minutes ago, Toews said:

He is under no obligation to provide answers. He would be foolish to provide answers if he hopes for another job in hockey (Seattle?)....,. He has chosen not to burn bridges. Kudos to him for taking the high road. 

34 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Didn’t think so.

Well if that was the only reason then he would of step down 2 years ago when it was born...

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Why do you think you deserve answers?  You're a fan, not an insider.  Enjoy the hockey, the rest is none of your business

I feel as a family member of this team we deserve some even just the smallest bit of insight. We put a lot of our time, money, and emotions into this club.

It would just be nice for closures sake if we got even the smallest tidbit. I personally find it frustrating and I feel we are owed something and it upsets me they refuse to share any details. 

All they have to say is: we had differing opinions. Or Linden's role was no longer needed. Just something. 

I do find it my business because I have invested so much time and energy into this franchise. I don't know. Maybe we're not owed it but I feel like we deserve it. Just the smallest bit of information would make me feel a even a whole lot better about it. 

I'm fine with Linden gone. Infact it feels like the organization is staying true to their statements now. So I'm not mad about him going. Just pissed they don't respect us enough to give us the slightest bit of insight. 

Perhaps to need to revisit aquas tweets and come to my own conclusion based on what has or hasn't been said today.

15 hours ago, Down by the River said:

Why would what Linden says vary across station?

I could certainly see how SN650  would loft more softball questions/not press him on non-answers compared to 1040, but I don't see any reason why Linden would be different across the two stations.

I really don't think it is Linden's style to throw shade at a former employer, especially when several months have gone by and he'll be less emotional. 

Screenshot_20181015-105305_Twitter.jpg

Man, I can't believe how naive some of you are.

I've seen a few people repeatedly say "oh, he just wanted to spend more time with his family, that's probably why he left and nothing more".

Come on... I know the media is often looking to make a mountain out of a molehill, but there was clearly a huge issue between Linden and ownership, why else would everybody involved constantly deflect when asked about the departure.  If Linden really left for "family reasons", they could easily said so, instead of refusing to answer questions about it.

If you don't think there was acrimony in the departure, then you are willfully blind or quite ignorant.

1 minute ago, Tom Sestito said:

Screenshot_20181015-105305_Twitter.jpg

Yeah TSN 1040 didn't want to censor questions. Imo it made sense for Linden if he wanted softball questions. I'm kind of upset his first interview was just to promote a business venture. 

I'm glad he came out and all is good on the Canucks relationship front or so it appears but... It feels dirty coming out to promote your next thing when there isn't closure on your departure. 

Feels like he's bringing a new girl friend to the old in law's house on his first visit back from a divorce. It feels dirty to me lol. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Except that for the bulk of fans, part of their fandom is being engaged in the stories around the team and players.  If it is just hockey, then turn on any random game and not care about the jersey on their backs.

This franchise has, of recent years, done a poor job of engaging fans by failing to make them feel part of the team and the journey.  It is harder without the playoffs to engage folks... but some teams do it better than others.

The attendance and apathy has been showing in ratings and ticket sales.

...and the hockey has been terrible.

It is true that fans want to know, but the reality is they cannot know every detail and they  don't "deserve" all the greasy bits.

They can't know who Jim covets before a trade happens and no business is going to bare it soul to its clients.

I find it interesting how many fans want player X in the draft as if they have actually scouted the whole crop. I leave that to Jim because I don't scout.

I am pretty sure one fan said no to Jake Virtanen and another said no to Matt Barzal.

Also funny is listening to fans say "player Y is worth $3.12 mil or I'll drive him to the airport"

Fans are funny because they think running a sports franchise is like "Real Housewives" or a "Kicked off the Island" reality show.

That said, Gillis put together a good team but many fans could see the poor drafting and bad contracts. Other fans lauded the contracts as the "only way" to build a winner.

"Home Town Discount" was a Gillisism that fans loved.

By the time Trevor and Jim took over the team was realing and their answers sounded implausible to many, and they were.

The "Retool on the Fly", "Winning Culture", "Veteran Leadership".and "Sedins Deserve Another Cup Run" were all Trevorisms of Failure.

I posted above how Trevor >Bertuzzi+McCabe, McCabe>Sedin, Bert>Lou, Lou>Marky and Sedins >nothing, that is also part of Trevor's legacy, but it also belongs to Jim, Gillis Gilman and Aquafamily.  Since even before the 2011 Cup run this team has mismanaged assets until we hit bottom.

Attendance and appathy were neccesary because at the time we had Willie Wonka and had just signed Loui for another Cup run.

Trevor was selling Pie-in-the Sky while Aqua was counting his money on the backs of 3000 continuous sell outs.

If not for the attendance drop we might never have heard Trevor breath the dreaded "R" word and might still be selling assets for one more Loui Ericksson to maybe make the playoffs, where "you never know what might happen if you get in".

Attendance and appathy caused the rebuild to start in earnest.

4 of the last 5 years, the hockey has been terrible.

56 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

I feel as a family member of this team we deserve some even just the smallest bit of insight. We put a lot of our time, money, and emotions into this club.

It would just be nice for closures sake if we got even the smallest tidbit. I personally find it frustrating and I feel we are owed something and it upsets me they refuse to share any details. 

All they have to say is: we had differing opinions. Or Linden's role was no longer needed. Just something

I do find it my business because I have invested so much time and energy into this franchise. I don't know. Maybe we're not owed it but I feel like we deserve it. Just the smallest bit of information would make me feel a even a whole lot better about it. 

I'm fine with Linden gone. Infact it feels like the organization is staying true to their statements now. So I'm not mad about him going. Just pissed they don't respect us enough to give us the slightest bit of insight. 

Perhaps to need to revisit aquas tweets and come to my own conclusion based on what has or hasn't been said today.

isn't that exactly what they said when Trevor left 3 months ago?

53 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Yeah TSN 1040 didn't want to censor questions. Imo it made sense for Linden if he wanted softball questions. I'm kind of upset his first interview was just to promote a business venture. 

I'm glad he came out and all is good on the Canucks relationship front or so it appears but... It feels dirty coming out to promote your next thing when there isn't closure on your departure. 

Feels like he's bringing a new girl friend to the old in law's house on his first visit back from a divorce. It feels dirty to me lol. 

Totally agree that 650 should have refused to give in to Trevor's guidelines.

5 hours ago, stawns said:

fans don't deserve anything he doesn't want to give them.  You're here to watch hockey, that's it.

I disagree, Linden was paid handsomely the least he could do is share some insight on what transpired. At the end of the day without fans these guys are not getting paid..

18 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

I don't think that Linden would throw anybody under the bus regardless.  He's all class.  He's had some time to decompress and relax.

FA had a good interview on 650 last week and came out with some good lines.  He said that he lets the managers manage and goes along with their plans.  He also said that he has never blocked a trade and that some people say different things to try to explain how things happened.  But that the assertion that he blocked trades is crap.  This directly contradicts what Gillis said in his 1040 interview.  

Is 650 more Canucks friendly?  Probably.  They also get better access and are less biased against the team.  Negativity clearly gets a stronger reaction from the fans.

Very interested in this interview.

Veto'ing a trade is different than, say, MG walking into his office and throwing idea's on the table?

And being given a cold Italian stare...

GM's still know who pays their salary. Probably the hardest part of their job is managing owners expectations. Emotions come into play more than nor mal businesses.

19 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Do MG & TL have a decent relationship? Could see the league going with these two, in a PNW market; to enhance the natural rivalry, & draw some fans/loyalists from the Lower Rainland.

Burke seems to have his fingers in pies too. Guys like McPhee(Vegas) worked with him. Him & TL are pretty tight. Linden is a corporate type, I'm afraid. Didn't he back Goodenow(to the chagrin of an NHLPA sub-group) as NHLPA  leader? League likes working with such guys.

When Torts got his most recent gig in CBJ, just a wk or two prior he did some lame mea culpa(for his Canuck antics), while doing colour for the Jackets! They use the media to clean up messes, then appointment/announcements seem to soon follow...

LOL; Mike Gillis as GM & Trevor Linden President of the Seattle Thunderbirds (be great if the NHL version could adopt / buy that trade name, I like it!) NHL franchise. 

Archived