The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Emergence of Nilsson

danjr

The preseason was not very good for either of our tenders.

Though who could blame them, the rotating door for the lineups was pretty tough to form any chemistry.

With the full team, and practices, some normality  has set it.

So now the goalies can concentrate on perfecting their games.

What makes this year different?  Age, confidence finally putting it all together?

It really looks like Nilsson has done that this season.  He put the work in playing with his National team.  Putting up solid numbers with a solid team.

This really didn't appear to be the case coming into the pre-season.  Like I said they did not look good.  Could this really be attributed to the team in front of them?  The roster of D-men for Nilsson's games were pretty good.  But he took a beating on his GAA and SV%. I am thinking the line-ups were just not that good, facing almost full roster opposition teams.

Fast forward to Nilsson's first regular season game.  He looked so sharp.  Great positioning, not over playing and getting good looks.

Did not appear to scramble or panic much at all.  Good recovery on almost all plays.

Second game was much the same as the first.  Solid on all aspects.

I really think this is the emergence as Nilsson as our true number 1.  Especially with Markstrom's really shaky starts in games.  (wish I had stats on how many early game or first shots he lets in)  Demko wasn't ready this training camp.  Though who knows he could come up later in the season.  Love him, but it's such a leap to NHL level.

Hope Coach Green rides him and lets us see what he has.  Would love to see him win a ton and keep us close....then again I'd love to see another early draft pick.

Do you think he's our go to guy now?  (sample size I know I know).

Way to early to say something like this after a mere two games. He had a couple of good games last year too, but overall he played like garbage. 

Neither of our goalies are legitimate starting goaltenders in the NHL. They're both career backups that have been given a shot on a bottom feeding team going through a rebuild. Next year Demko will be on the team, and a year or two after that, so will DiPietro. Until then, Markstrom and Nilsson are just stopgaps. 

We have 2 average backup goalies, and they each remind us of that from time to time while also occasionally playing terrific hockey. I'd like 1 of them to display some consistency, but it is what is is. Goaltending doesn't bother me much as there are a few prospects arriving over the next few seasons, one of which'll [eventually] be the new big deal. 

No pressure though.

3 minutes ago, Green Building said:

We have 2 average backup goalies, and they each remind us of that from time to time while also occasionally playing terrific hockey. I'd like 1 of them to display some consistency, but it is what is is. Goaltending doesn't bother me much as there are a few prospects arriving over the next few seasons, one of which'll [eventually] be the new big deal. 

No pressure though.

Mike keenan knew how to get the most out of average goalies.   Green needs to yank markstrom the next time he lets a soft goal in on the first shot so he figures it out

14 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Way to early to say something like this after a mere two games. He had a couple of good games last year too, but overall he played like garbage. 

Neither of our goalies are legitimate starting goaltenders in the NHL. They're both career backups that have been given a shot on a bottom feeding team going through a rebuild. Next year Demko will be on the team, and a year or two after that, so will DiPietro. Until then, Markstrom and Nilsson are just stopgaps. 

He did have a 9 game undefeated streak, with 3 shutouts at the end of last season (the Worlds), so he does have the ability to be consistent given the right conditions (a decent defense)

39 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

Mike keenan knew how to get the most out of average goalies.   Green needs to yank markstrom the next time he lets a soft goal in on the first shot so he figures it out

Yeah, the problem with that is what do you do if Nilsson lets the same goal in during the same game. Put Markstrom back in? I can't say for sure that Green is or isn't doing the right thing vis-a-vis goaltending, but crease yo-yo isn't the answer.

46 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

When Marky lets those soft first goals in.......I actually SCREAM at my TV to "pull him, right F^&*@#$ now!

Glad neighbours can't hear me.

1 hour ago, Canucks-12 said:

Remember his back to back shutouts last year? 

Its all about consistency. But I say keep him rolling until he has a bad game. 

This. He had a .942 save percentage in his first five games last year. This is nothing new for him. I'll be excited if he can do it for 10 games.

Archived