The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary sportsnet host pokes fun at EP concussion

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

On 2018-10-15 at 1:37 PM, oldnews said:

I realize this won't be the popular viewpoint around here - but the fact that Calgary's response to the Gudbranson hit on Dube - which was nowhere near as severe and without intent to injure - ie a hockey play that turned into a mis-timed / bad hit - resulted in (what may be a relatively severe) head injury to Hamonic - might give pause to the dominant assumption that the appropriate response to these incidents is to chase that player down and exact some revenge.

We all would have liked to see a 'response' - but the reality is that sometimes those 'responses' spill over - don't end in the intended result - and lead to conflating the problem.

In this case - the team legitimately appears to have been relatively unaware of what happened at the time - as it was not really in the heart of the play, but occured after Pettersson centered the puck to Eriksson.   Ideally someone saw what happened, and sent a 'message' to Matheson.  However, the reality is that the message doesn't always result in the intended effect - as was clearly the case when Hamonic's response resulted in a broken face for him.  

Would we all feel better today if Goldobin had seen what happened, picked a fight with Matheson and also wound up with a concussion?

Part of the problem with hockey fights is how much risk in involved to both parties - bare fist, on ice where players have been more severely injured by the ice at the end of a fight as by the fight itself, helmets to break hands on, and the fact there are no weight classes.   None of those conditions exist in mixed martial arts and yet, nevertheless countless concussions occur regardless - and those guys are 'prize fighters' not hockey players, who less and less are pugilists.

We can debate about what the response should have been - and very few of us would want to see a lack of response....

But one thing that's clear to me at this point - as it has turned out - the test/onus is now clearly in the hands of the DoPeS - this has landed squarely in their 'court' - and as far as I'm concerned, their leniency is a large part of why these incidents still occur with the frequency they do.  If anyone repeatedly fails to send a "message" it's them imo.  Count me among those with low expectations of them - that hopes to be proved wrong.

Agree with lots of this but the bare knuckle comment. That’s way safer than a gloved “as hard as I can possibly throw it” punch because you aren’t scared of breaking your hand. 

I think Matheson will have to answer a few bells actually. So be it. Play stupid games and you win stupid prizes. 

On ‎10‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 12:12 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

If people wanted more of a reason to really hate Calgary well here's your chance, I couldn't believe what I was reading this is just ridiculous.

Eric Francis, a senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca and a host on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 radio, launched a contest Monday morning asking listeners to “name the finishing move Matheson used on Patterson (sic).”

While Vancouver Canucks rookie Elias Pettersson recovers from a concussion, some Calgary broadcasters are having a little fun at his expense.

Eric Francis, a senior columnist for Sportsnet.ca and a host on Calgary’s Sportsnet 960 radio, launched a contest Monday morning asking listeners to “name the finishing move Matheson used on Patterson (sic).”

We are assuming Francis meant Pettersson, who, according to a report from TSN’s Bob McKenzie, will be out seven to 10 days, if not longer, as he recovers from a concussion suffered when the 19-year-old centreman’s head bounced off the ice in Florida.

If you can’t joke about head injuries, what can you joke about?

The winning suggestion receives tickets to the Eric Francis Pizza Pigout, a “celebrity” pizza party held Oct. 18 at the Cowboys Dance Hall in Calgary.

A number of Canucks fans were not amused with the contest and let Francis know about it on Twitter.

https://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/nhl/vancouver-canucks/calgary-radio-guy-has-fun-with-elias-petterssons-concussion

Just incase anyone is interested.

Contest and Open Phone Lines for 960

Local calls: 403-240-4444
Cell phone: *960 on Rogers Wireless
Text us: 960960

General Inquiries regarding SN 960 The FAN Radio in Calgary

You can email Program Director Kelly Kirch at kelly.kirch@rci.rogers.com
Switchboard: 403-246-9696

I understand the worry. Elias could really be a Calgary killer in the future. Like Pavel was to the Kings!

10 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

1. Unaffordability.

2. Constant rain from Nov to April.

3. Ugly skyline due to genetic overpriced condos used for laundered money.

4. Loss of character and soul.

5. Loss of small long-time businesses due to outrageous rents and property taxes.

6. Too transient and touristy and less and less community and family-oriented.

7. Homelessness.

8. Large increase of drug use.

9. Worst traffic congestion in North America. Bike lanes have made it worse.

10. Arrogant, conceited and self-righteous snobbery.

There you go.

Or Calgary 12 months of either Winter or Mosquitoes! What people forget is Calgary  mated the Mosquito with the humming bird! Ouch! Actually the only thing going for Alberta is 2 NHL teams.

20 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

1. Unaffordability.

Yes, thats unfortunate, but that's the result of a lot of people trying to live here, which says something about the quality of life.

That's a feature, not a flaw. I like the rain. A lot of people here like the rain. Complaining about the rain here is like going to Arizona and complaining about the heat. That's the point. 

I don't know how condo's can be "genetic", but the skyline is far from ugly. Its backdropped by some of the most gorgeous natural scenery in the world, and has its distinct style of architecture. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Architecture_of_Vancouver#West_Coast_Style

Yeah there are some ugly condos, but those are found everywhere.

These are buzzwords to pad your list, not an actual point.

5. Loss of small long-time businesses due to outrageous rents and property taxes.

Agreed that isn't great.

Mmhm, more opinion. Its really no better or worse for "transience" for a city of its size. Its up to you to participate in your community. If you're dying for that small town charm, go to a small town. 

Homelessness

Agreed, I wish other provinces would stop sending us their homeless. 

Which is consistent with the rest of the country, not Vancouver specific. Yeah Vancouver has a lot of potheads and opioid users. Meanwhile Randy is cooking meth out in Grande Prairie and the Maritimes are dealing with fentanyl just like us. 

Just plain wrong. Its bad, but this is hyperbole at its finest.

And this is the entire reason I made this drawn out, obnoxious, derisive response to your post. The "snobbery" thing. I get so sick of hearing how people on the West Coast are arrogant and conceited. The amount of people I know from Saskatchewan who wear Saskatchewan pride related apparel is astounding. But nobody calls them conceited. They're just full of "hometown pride". People from Nova Scotia talk about how scenic life is out there, but they aren't arrogant, just love where they live. But Vancouverites who talk about biking along the seawall are snobs. The people who live here are just arrogant, holier-than-thou pukes. The only ones who aren't allowed to have pride in their home without it being seen as hubris.

People from different cities take potshots at each other all the time, especially in regards to sports.  A Flames fan will call Vancouver a snobby, potstinking, overpriced hipster town, and its all well and good. A Canucks fan will call Calgary a bucktoothed, squaredancing, whitetrash backwater, and its all well and good. But in that exchange, its ONLY the Canucks fan whose arrogant for some reason. Makes you think.

Seriously where are these giant bugs people keeps talking about. I’m actually really curious as I’ve never seen any. I’ve never even heard of them till this board started mentioning it. 

In alberta there typically only 2 months that have mostqitoes which is right after spring before it gets to hot in summer. And the only time you really notice them is when you are camping in the mountains or staying next to a lake.  Heck the most I experience mosquitoes is when I’m in invermere. 

1 hour ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Seriously where are these giant bugs people keeps talking about. I’m actually really curious as I’ve never seen any. I’ve never even heard of them till this board started mentioning it. 

In alberta there typically only 2 months that have mostqitoes which is right after spring before it gets to hot in summer. And the only time you really notice them is when you are camping in the mountains or staying next to a lake.  Heck the most I experience mosquitoes is when I’m in invermere. 

There are usually 2-3 weeks where the mosquitos can be pretty bad where I live, but we're beside a lake, so that is to be expected. But yeah, outside of that, they're either non-existent, or no big deal.

My parents joined my family out near Calgary just last year. They had been in BC for ages. In fact my mother had lived in the Fraser Valley her entire life! My dad used to mock the idea of moving to Alberta every time we had a snowfall. So far, they absolutely love it. They said the same thing I did when I first came here - they love all the sunshine, and didn't realize what they were missing before.

17 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

1. Unaffordability.

7. Homelessness.

There you go.

I’m from B.C., and I agree with this. Anyone who says different is full of lower mainland ignorance/arrogance. 

Anyways back to subject, the host is an idiot. He shouldn’t be making fun of Pettersson but moreso of the Canucks lack of response. Like if he made a contest to describe them based on their response to the hit in one word... that would be understandable. The guys at work are calling them the cowardly Canucks. I’m honestly disgusted at how this team reacted. Hugely disappointed in my team right now. 

7 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I usually stay out of these "my city is better than your city" debates....but @Tiger-Hearted had a point when he said "Worst Traffic Congestion in North America", well sort of.

It may not be the worst but its probably the worst in Canada and among the worst in North America

Forbes had Vancouver Ranked #2 

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/ehmk45jhdg/1-los-angeles/#5949528f8111

This statistical site has Vancouver at #4 for congestion

https://www.statista.com/statistics/235786/most-traffic-jam-prone-cities-in-north-america/

5 year old article from the Vancouver Sun

http://www.vancouversun.com/Vancouver+edges+Angeles+worst+traffic+congestion+North+America+index/9132912/story.html

Yes I know, maybe the surveys used a wrong methodology (Forbes used Tom-Tom data...is that valid I dont know), maybe there are other surveys that show differently...but Vancouver is arguably the worst in Canada (flip flopping with Toronto depending on the study) It seemingly always lands at the top or near the top of these lists.

And dont get me wrong, I would pick Vancouver over calgary 10 times out of 10, but thats because Im from here and I am a little biased. The aesthetic quality of Vancouver is hard to beat. But I will give Calgary a few advantages...cost of housing, cost of living in general and the friendliness of people there.  

This is purely anecdotal...Ive been sent to Calgary more times than I can count for work, also many of my in laws are from there (Just my luck because I generally did not like going there for work).  I honestly think people there are friendlier and more open to helping you out.  I remember driving around town a few times, lost, cutting through traffic and thinking "If I did this in Vancouver I would be honked at, fingered, and maybe on the other end of road rage".

20 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I’m from B.C., and I agree with this. Anyone who says different is full of lower mainland ignorance/arrogance. 

I'll take a wild stab and say your not from Vancouver specifically :lol:

7 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

Yes, thats unfortunate, but that's the result of a lot of people trying to live here, which says something about the quality of life.

That's a feature, not a flaw. I like the rain. A lot of people here like the rain. Complaining about the rain here is like going to Arizona and complaining about the heat. That's the point. 

I don't know how condo's can be "genetic", but the skyline is fair from ugly. Its backdropped by some of the most gorgeous natural scenery in the world, and has its distinct style of architecture. 

Agreed that isn't great.

Mmhm, more opinion. Its really no better or worse for "transience" for a city of its size. Its up to you to participate in your community. If you're dying for that small town charm, go to a small town. 

Which is consistent with the rest of the country, not Vancouver specific. Yeah Vancouver has a lot of potheads and opioid users. Meanwhile Randy is cooking meth out in Grande Prairie and the Maritimes are dealing with fentanyl just like us. 

And this is the entire reason I made this drawn out, obnoxious, derisive response to your post. The "snobbery" thing. I get so sick of hearing how people on the West Coast are arrogant and conceited. The amount of people I know from Saskatchewan who wear Saskatchewan pride related apparel is astounding. But nobody calls them conceited. They're just full of "hometown pride". People from Nova Scotia talk about how scenic life is out there, but they aren't arrogant, just love where they live. But Vancouverites who talk about biking along the seawall are snobs. The people who live here are just arrogant, holier-than-thou pukes. The only ones who aren't allowed to have pride in their home without it being seen as hubris.

People from different cities take potshots at each other all the time, especially in regards to sports.  A Flames fan will call Vancouver a snobby, potstinking, overpriced hipster town, and its all well in good. A Canucks fan will call Calgary a bucktoothed, squaredancing, whitetrash backwater, and its all well and good. But in that exchange, its ONLY the Canucks fan whose arrogant for some reason. Makes you think.

I think this is pretty accurate. 

I've lived and/or work extensively in 5 provinces, been everywhere in Canada expect Nunavut (its next on the list). Vancouver is a special place, if someone can't see or experience that it makes me sad for them. 

Yes there have been some small business losses, but if you've taken the time to explore east van, hopefully on foot some of the time, there are so many great things artistically, foodie and micro-brew and distillery going on that there's a whole new thing here now that there wasn't even 10 years ago. And thats just one area, there are great things going on all over the lower mainland. But sure if you're stuck on wanting things to be pre-Expo like you can always find something to complain about. 

8 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

I don't know how condo's can be "genetic", but the skyline is fair from ugly. Its backdropped by some of the most gorgeous natural scenery in the world, and has its distinct style of architecture. 

Agreed that isn't great.

People from different cities take potshots at each other all the time, especially in regards to sports.  A Flames fan will call Vancouver a snobby, potstinking, overpriced hipster town, and its all well in good. A Canucks fan will call Calgary a bucktoothed, squaredancing, whitetrash backwater, and its all well and good. But in that exchange, its ONLY the Canucks fan whose arrogant for some reason. Makes you think.

condos can be genetic in the exact same way that skylines can be fair from ugly. 

Ha. I actually received an email back from SportsNet.                               Thank you very much for your e-mail and your feedback.

We at Sportsnet take concussions extremely seriously. It is not a joking matter. We do hold our on-air personalities accountable and responsible for their comments and expect them to represent themselves and the network in a respectful manner. In this case, Eric Francis recognized and acknowledged that his tweet was in poor taste and issued a public apology on Twitter. We appreciate his ability to admit that he made a mistake and hope our audiences are able to do the same.

Thank you again for your e-mail. We truly value your feedback.

Sincerely

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Ha. I actually received an email back from SportsNet.                               Thank you very much for your e-mail and your feedback.

We at Sportsnet take concussions extremely seriously. It is not a joking matter. We do hold our on-air personalities accountable and responsible for their comments and expect them to represent themselves and the network in a respectful manner. In this case, Eric Francis recognized and acknowledged that his tweet was in poor taste and issued a public apology on Twitter. We appreciate his ability to admit that he made a mistake and hope our audiences are able to do the same.

Sincerely

They should give him an official warning letter of some sort if he does something stupid again they should fire his ass. That's not how a professional sports columnist should behave on the internet. In fact, I think he should be fired now. Because he made fun of Brodie for staying at home with his wife with MS instead of participating in the WC earlier and this shows what kind of person he is.

You can win a pizza party for making a joke about a traumatic brain injury? So I guess even they admit their fanbase is little more than a bunch of mean-spirited 12-year-olds. Okay.

But at least they take their own players' injuries as lightly. Oh wait...

10 hours ago, Bitter Melon said:

1. Yes, thats unfortunate, but that's the result of a lot of people trying to live here, which says something about the quality of life.

2. That's a feature, not a flaw. I like the rain. A lot of people here like the rain. Complaining about the rain here is like going to Arizona and complaining about the heat. That's the point. 

3. I don't know how condo's can be "genetic", but the skyline is far from ugly. Its backdropped by some of the most gorgeous natural scenery in the world, and has its distinct style of architecture. 

4. Mmhm, more opinion. Its really no better or worse for "transience" for a city of its size. Its up to you to participate in your community.  If you're dying for that small town charm, go to a small town.

5. Agreed, I wish other provinces would stop sending us their homeless. 

6.  And this is the entire reason I made this drawn out, obnoxious, derisive response to your post. The "snobbery" thing. I get so sick of hearing how people on the West Coast are arrogant and conceited. The amount of people I know from Saskatchewan who wear Saskatchewan pride related apparel is astounding. But nobody calls them conceited. They're just full of "hometown pride". People from Nova Scotia talk about how scenic life is out there, but they aren't arrogant, just love where they live. But Vancouverites who talk about biking along the seawall are snobs. The people who live here are just arrogant, holier-than-thou pukes. The only ones who aren't allowed to have pride in their home without it being seen as hubris.

7. People from different cities take potshots at each other all the time, especially in regards to sports.  A Flames fan will call Vancouver a snobby, potstinking, overpriced hipster town, and its all well and good. A Canucks fan will call Calgary a bucktoothed, squaredancing, whitetrash backwater, and its all well and good. But in that exchange, its ONLY the Canucks fan whose arrogant for some reason. Makes you think.

1. Unaffordability has been caused by corrupt real estate developers and their catering to foreign investors - many of them looking to park their money. The tearing down of older affordable housing and replaced by luxury homes and condos, therefore driving up the cost of real estate through the atmosphere. Land speculation has been another contributing factor.

2. Constant rain is very depressing. So, therefore, it is a flaw. If rain is a feature, then long traditional Canadian winters are a feature in the likes of Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg. It has been a breeding ground for most of our great hockey players.

3. The mountains and natural scenery is Leipsic on a pig. When one can't see the mountains because of the long gloomy and rainy season, the skyline rears its ugly head. This so-called Vancouver/West Coast architecture was influenced by Hong Kong architecture - which explains the term "Hongcouver".

4.  Our long-standing communities with families with children and when people knew their neighbours have been lost due to politicians and real estate developers selling out our city. Nobody can afford to live here long-term. Vancouver has become nothing more than a real estate piggybank, a backdoor resort and a pitstop for international students and workers. The city has become way too transient.

5. Homelessness has been caused, for the most part, by politicians and real estate developers. Demovictions is a prime example.

6. & 7. "If you're dying for that small town charm, go to a small town" is a prime example of Vancouver arrogance and snobbery. I was born and raised here so I know what the hell I'm talking about. Wearing your home team's gear is all good. However, the attitude of "we're a world class city", "the greatest place on earth", while putting down other Canadian cities(Vancouver is the worst for doing this - and NOT just in sports) is nauseating. By the way, I would shake a Flames fan's hand if he/she called Vancouver a "snobby, potstinking, overpriced hipster town" because it's the plain honest truth. My response would be, "You would have liked us back in the 60's, 70's and 80's."

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Sincerely

This is exact same email word for word i got from them. Doesnt feel sincere at all.

1 minute ago, captainhorvat said:

This is exact same email word for word i got from them. Doesnt feel sincere at all.

Maybe the guy who Tweeted the stupid comments should be hanged, drawn, and quartered?  

This is Canada, and people are entitled to say things we disagree with, or even find vile, providing they are not breaking the law with their comments.  

This guy is an idiot.  

Archived