The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary sportsnet host pokes fun at EP concussion

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

29 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

I think if you take it in context it's pretty obvious that they hope that the audience can also appreciate the apology.

As to the Johnny G hit, I don't think it gets punished.  The puck was right at his feet when the hit was initiated, the principal point of contact was body.  About the only thing wrong is that he might be considered to be in a 'vulnerable position'.

Have you actually watched the video of the hit? The puck was already 8 to 10 feet away from Gaudreau and headed to the side boards  by the time McAvoy made contact with his elbow to Gaudreau's head. Late hit and a head shot. McAvoy should get at least two games for that.

55 minutes ago, X-PatLostInEdm said:

The last line in the first paragraph is oddly worded. I wonder what mistake they think their audience has made that needs to be admitted to? Calling out their guy? That can't be what they meant.

When you're in the communication industry, you should be better at communicating.

Lol. I didint notice that. Like it's written by an intern. 

3 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Watching the video it sure looked like a forearm shiver to the head to me. 

Did not look overly late. 

Once the shot is made, a goalie saved it, and the puck were in vicinity toward the boards and it's still a late hit, period.   2 good seconds gone when the hit was made.   Once the shot is made, he is no longer in possession of the puck despite rebound went in the vicinity and he never regained the possession.  It's still late and interference which should be a suspended able offense and also it's hit from the behind as well despite not close to the board.   A hit from behind on open ice can cause concussion so it's still illegal.

20 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

Have you actually watched the video of the hit? The puck was already 8 to 10 feet away from Gaudreau and headed to the side boards  by the time McAvoy made contact with his elbow to Gaudreau's head. Late hit and a head shot. McAvoy should get at least two games for that.

it wasn't an elbow.

if you freeze the video, it's clearly shoulder to head, which is still a head shot, but different than chicken-winging him

it's misleading because McAvoy's arm raises slightly after the hit - but when you freeze it at the point of contact, it is clearly Matheson's shoulder to Gaudreau's head

Also, the idea that the puck is 8 or 10 feet away is misleading.

Gaudreau is spinning and stopping fairly rapidly intending to make a play on the rebound

The time span between Gaudreau's right shoulder facing McAvoy, and then his face, is fractional.

It's a classic hockey play - clearing the player from the net after a shot - the problem is that McAvoy catches the head with his right shoulder.

I'd argue that it's suspendable because it's a head shot regardless, but the level of intent, and whether it's a high body check as opposed to an elbow imo is relevent.

I wouldn't wish a concussion on anyone, not even rat boy, yet some of you guys are basically applauding that Gaudreau got concussed.  C'mon guys, we're better than that. 

4 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

I wouldn't wish a concussion on anyone, not even rat boy, yet some of you guys are basically applauding that Gaudreau got concussed.  C'mon guys, we're better than that. 

what are you talking about?

is there a single post in this thread applauding this injury?

if so, feel free to quote it.

26 minutes ago, oldnews said:

it wasn't an elbow.

if you freeze the video, it's clearly shoulder to head, which is still a head shot, but different than chicken-winging him

it's misleading because McAvoy's arm raises slightly after the hit - but when you freeze it at the point of contact, it is clearly Matheson's shoulder to Gaudreau's head

Gaudreau is spinning and stopping fairly rapidly intending to make a play on the rebound

The time span between Gaudreau's right shoulder facing McAvoy, and then his face, is fractional.

It's a classic hockey play - clearing the player from the net after a shot - the problem is that McAvoy catches the head with his right shoulder.

I'd argue that it's suspendable because it's a head shot regardless, but the level of intent, and whether it's a high body check as opposed to an elbow imo is relevent.

Watch again. It was clearly his forearm that contacted the head he then followed through with it. 

The hit occurred 1 second after the puck left his stick. 

Should be suspended for a hit to the head. 

Just now, spur1 said:

Watch again. It was clearly his forearm that contacted the head he then followed through with it. 

The hit occurred 1 second after the puck left his stick. 

Should be suspended for a hit to the head. 

watched it 20 times and froze it at the point of contact repeatedly

shoulder to head.  clearly.

5 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Guess you missed it. 

guessing aint worth much

https://hockeytroll.ca/2018/10/18/poolers-alert-johnny-gaudreau-gets-crushed/

watch the live feed

stop it at th 32 second mark

clearly McAvoy's shoulder to Gaudreau's face/head.

the elbow is down, and makes contact with the left side of Gaudreau's upper body.

it's a shoulder to head shot.

49 minutes ago, oldnews said:

it wasn't an elbow.

McAvoy did have a small bit of time to avoid the head contact, he has enough time and presence to keep turning into JG and then do a full follow through with his elbow. It should be a game suspension but we'll see. 

3 hours ago, rekker said:

So true. I'm done with "back in the day", "it used to be". Get over it people. Time to move on. For contact sports to exist changes need to made. I look the the NFL. Recent contraversies aside, spearing tackles with helmets, protecting the QBs, have been addressed in the last few years. The new rules been embraced by players and fans. For some reason some hockey fans cant come to terms with the attempted changes. Again, you can have tough, hard nosed hockey without dumb plays like the one Mathison just did. 

Get over what? Because a player is a star player they deserve the Gretzky treatment and no one can touch them? You have to be joking... You want to take the integrity and competing out of the game, just so a player can't be hit? This comparison you're doing with football shouldn't be done, I understand their both contact sports, but 2 sports that are completely different. The only real argument you can make is that both sports for years, before they finally started protecting their players from head shots didn't, and neglected and ignored it for years, but ever since the movie Concussion they have changed their rules and policies to prevent this. To say Football has done more and NHL hasn't is actually wrong, the NHL has done more and football just ignored it and took much longer to adapt and change. You can't compare a QB to all players the QB is like the Goalie in hockey, at least the NHL has a rule to protect their goalies and prevent someone from going and hitting the goalie as soon as he touches the puck, yet Football had to wait until the 21 century to figure this one out for their QB. To say Football has changed and they adapted and NHL hasn't when football didn't have the proper rules in place to begin with, is a false narrative.

24 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Get over what? Because a player is a star player they deserve the Gretzky treatment and no one can touch them? You have to be joking... You want to take the integrity and competing out of the game, just so a player can't be hit? This comparison you're doing with football shouldn't be done, I understand their both contact sports, but 2 sports that are completely different. The only real argument you can make is that both sports for years, before they finally started protecting their players from head shots didn't, and neglected and ignored it for years, but ever since the movie Concussion they have changed their rules and policies to prevent this. To say Football has done more and NHL hasn't is actually wrong, the NHL has done more and football just ignored it and took much longer to adapt and change. You can't compare a QB to all players the QB is like the Goalie in hockey, at least the NHL has a rule to protect their goalies and prevent someone from going and hitting the goalie as soon as he touches the puck, yet Football had to wait until the 21 century to figure this one out for their QB. To say Football has changed and they adapted and NHL hasn't when football didn't have the proper rules in place to begin with, is a false narrative.

I never said take the compete and hitting out of the game. Just the opposite. In order to keep the hitting, which makes the game great, dirty plays and head shots need to be severely punished. Helmet to helmet hits have been addressed in football similar to how head shots need to be addressed in hockey. Protecting the NHL stars like quarterbacks in football?  Yip, that's just business and the way it is. A head shot to Crosby will get you more of a suspension than a head shot to Chaput. Is it fair? Probably not,  but this isnt just a game it's a billion dollar business. The comparison between the two sports are in the lawsuits they are both facing at any given time and in the future.  The depths of which we don't know about as fans. I've noticed a big drop in the vicious hits from behind because players are learning and they will adapt to these new suspensions as well.  Fact is the players need continue to learn when to let up on hits and until they do they will be suspended accordingly. Mathison will probably think twice now before a take down after a perfectly good body check. Hockey has changed to a more skilled game like it or not. With that will come less tolerance for borderline hits in order to protect this new wave of skilled players. Owners are on board as profits have never been higher.

There has never, ever been this much skill in the NHL and the league will protect that with lengthy suspensions on stupid plays. You can see it in recent suspensions. Wilson would never of got 20 games two years ago and Mathison would of got nothing two years ago. This is the way punishment will be doled out going forward and the players and fans will need to get used to it. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

McAvoy did have a small bit of time to avoid the head contact, he has enough time and presence to keep turning into JG and then do a full follow through with his elbow. It should be a game suspension but we'll see. 

Sorry, too late now to take him out against the Oilers, but should sit on Saturday.

B)

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

guessing aint worth much

https://hockeytroll.ca/2018/10/18/poolers-alert-johnny-gaudreau-gets-crushed/

it's a shoulder to head shot.

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Yes, he gets hit in the head, but IMO this is no different than when a player turns his back on the play just before getting hit in the numbers into the boards.

IMO, when McAvoy commits to the hit (after making what appears to be a half-hearted effort at going for the puck), Johnny's head is not in the path.  JG turns into the play, and gets his head rocked.  Once Johnny faces McAvoy, I don't believe there is any opportunity to avoid head contact.

I'm not too surprised with the 2 minutes, since the ref is looking at it, and there was head contact, but I don't feel this is suspension worthy, since I don't believe it was avoidable. I wouldn't blame any defenceman for making a hit in that situation (i.e. it is not that late a hit, and it is taking the player out of the play), it's just unfortunate timing involving a little player. 

According to the idiot Francis, the league agrees (I googled Francis, and his twitter shows up there...I'd rather not link his twitter post and get him any more traffic than he deserves).

3 minutes ago, Kragar said:

Yes, he gets hit in the head, but IMO this is no different than when a player turns his back on the play just before getting hit in the numbers into the boards.

IMO, when McAvoy commits to the hit (after making what appears to be a half-hearted effort at going for the puck), Johnny's head is not in the path.  JG turns into the play, and gets his head rocked.  Once Johnny faces McAvoy, I don't believe there is any opportunity to avoid head contact.

I'm not too surprised with the 2 minutes, since the ref is looking at it, and there was head contact, but I don't feel this is suspension worthy, since I don't believe it was avoidable. I wouldn't blame any defenceman for making a hit in that situation (i.e. it is not that late a hit, and it is taking the player out of the play), it's just unfortunate timing involving a little player. 

According to the idiot Francis, the league agrees (I googled Francis, and his twitter shows up there...I'd rather not link his twitter post and get him any more traffic than he deserves).

but don't you think the follow through was a bit much? 

5 minutes ago, rekker said:

I never said take the compete and hitting out of the game. Just the opposite. In order to keep the hitting, which makes the game great, dirty plays and head shots need to be severely punished. Helmet to helmet hits have been addressed in football similar to how head shots need to be addressed in hockey. Protecting the NHL stars like quarterbacks in football?  Yip, that's just business and the way it is. A head shot to Crosby will get you more of a suspension than a head shot to Chaput. Is it fair? Probably not,  but this isnt just a game it's a billion dollar business. The comparison between the two sports are in the lawsuits they are both facing at any given time and in the future.  The depths of which we don't know about as fans. I've noticed a big drop in the vicious hits from behind because players are learning and they will adapt to these new suspensions as well.  Fact is the players need continue to learn when to let up on hits and until they do they will be suspended accordingly. Mathison will probably think twice now before a take down after a perfectly good body check. Hockey has changed to a more skilled game like it or not. With that will come less tolerance for borderline hits in order to protect this new wave of skilled players. Owners are on board as profits have never been higher.

There has never, ever been this much skill in the NHL and the league will protect that with lengthy suspensions on stupid plays. You can see it in recent suspensions. Wilson would never of got 20 games two years ago and Mathison would of got nothing two years ago. This is the way punishment will be doled out going forward and the players and fans will need to get used to it. 

Okay that's more of a fair argument, but it was the fact you were quoting someone who's basically saying the NHL needs to protect guys like JG and EP more because their star players, and teammates shouldn't have to take things into their own hands. So how does the NHL do this if they get hit by a clean hit yet the teammates don't like it, because their star player just got hit and now they go after that player, the OP doesn't want them doing that so the only way to stop that from happening is having a rule to not hit them in the first place. We can argue and say hey as long as it's clean it's okay, but teams will still react no matter what if it's clean or not and will try and take things into their own hands still because they don't want their star getting hit. 

Regarding suspensions and moving forward, the game is still adapting towards it when they come across a situation that's not an illegal hit to the head, blindside hit or hit from behind, it's a learning curve and obviously the Matheson and EP incident is a prime example of it. That's a hockey play(penalty imo) but, that type of play has happened more than just once before but no one has or had ever been suspended before, because no one has ever suffered a concussion from it before. So the NHL going forward needs to suspend every player who ever does this now whether it results in a injury or not, it's all about consistency to send the proper message and that's where the NHL fails which makes it really hard as a fan and player to figure out what's right and what's wrong. 

The NHL is doing the right things to cut down on these injuries as said certain plays hits they have addressed, but other situations that result in an injury is something their learning and adapting too, because that play was always acceptable in past, but now it has resulted in an injury and they need to send a message to change it, it just takes time and as said the NHL needs to show consistency in these to send the message to everyone. 

I mentioned this before but I'll bring it up again, as said this recent incident used to be just part of hockey, guys finished checks and threw a player to the ice after, it was just something that happened, now that is not allowed don't agree with it but okay. Going to make a scenario here, look at the D in games protecting the front of their net, their pushing and cross checking shoving opposition players away from infront of their net without the puck so their goalie isn't being screened, isn't that roughing and interference as well, they don't have the puck, so what gives them the right to do the same thing other players do after finishing a hit that is deemed interference or roughing after? Point is what happens when a D pushes a smaller guy and he falls and hits his head now and gets injured? Are they going to say now you can't push or move an opposition player from infront of your net because a player got injured because of it already and if you do then you're suspended, so instead you just have to let that guy now screen your goalie and you can't do anything about it and your goalie can't do anything about it because if he pushes him then that's illegal because 1 player got injured due to the same incident.

Something's imo are suspension worthy, but not everything now a days is suspension worthy just because a player got injured due to it, doesn't mean that play should be illegal now that's why their are penalties, but the fact that's the way the NHL is going, the trend is it will stop players from doing everything eventually and this game will be a non contact sport if this trend continues, and that will ruin the game eventually.

Archived