The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary sportsnet host pokes fun at EP concussion

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

1 hour ago, Sergei Shirokov said:

You want boring, try an other major Canadian City like Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg or Toronto. Try -40 degrees in the winter. 

Toronto isn’t boring at all, sure it isn’t New York but Toronto compared to Vancouver is like comparing Vancouver to Surrey or Langley in terms of boringness. Plus way better job opportunities with more pay, cheaper (albeit still way too expensive) housing, pond hockey in winter (not cold or snowy compared to Ottawa or Montreal), way closer/cheaper travel  to Europe and a lot more cool cities nearby. Moving to Toronto from Vancouver was like getting a massive upgrade on life. 

Like I said I love the old Vancouver and my Canucks, but the city now is not what it used to be.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:20 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Toronto isn’t boring at all, sure it isn’t New York but Toronto compared to Vancouver is like comparing Vancouver to Surrey or Langley in terms of boringness. Plus way better job opportunities with more pay, cheaper (albeit still way too expensive) housing, pond hockey in winter (not cold or snowy compared to Ottawa or Montreal), way closer/cheaper travel  to Europe and a lot more cool cities nearby. Moving to Toronto from Vancouver was like getting a massive upgrade on life. 

Like I said I love the old Vancouver and my Canucks, but the city now is not what it used to be.

I agree about not being boring, but I actually moved from Toronto 2 years ago because it's way harder to get a job with good pay there, and it's no longer cheaper than Vancouver, it's pretty much on par but you pay more provincial taxes. Edmonton is also a pretty fun city as well I lived there for 12 years.

Vancouver has the advantage of nature in it's backyard. Night life here is ok, but not great

3 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I agree about not being boring, but I actually moved from Toronto 2 years ago because it's way harder to get a job with good pay there, and it's no longer cheaper than Vancouver, it's pretty much on par but you pay more provincial taxes. Edmonton is also a pretty fun city as well I lived there for 12 years.

Vancouver has the advantage of nature in it's backyard. Night life here is ok, but not great

I guess it depends on on the industry for sure. My wife and I both work in tech and each got immediate 25-30% wage increases. I was able to buy a 3 bedroom detached house walking distance to subway and bikeable to downtown in good weather. In BC I don't know if I would even be able to get a place in Abbotsford nevermind Vancouver. 

Toronto is still messed-up though. About 45 minutes from my company's office in Manhattan I could buy a detached house for around $650K USD and earn A LOT more for the exact same role. 

I'd never put down Calgary or Edmonton as they likely provide a decent standard of living. What is completely messed up about Vancouver is if my wife and I (31 no kids) both earned in the 99th percentile in Vancouver there is still not a single detached home in the city we could afford on that income. Kind of just gave up and left. Toronto is a struggle but at least we have some something here.  

On 19/10/2018 at 5:26 PM, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Lol I know I've been saying this for 7 years now, and if I don't add that part in the first comment I always get someone to quote me with that after, got tired of writing that over and over again in every comment I make regarding larger ice, so I know I just don't write that everytime, but thanks for trying to think I don't know.

The Owners and the NHL need to come to some kind of compromise, I see the owners argument side of it because yes losing seating is losing revenue and any business man won't agree to that well most of them won't, the occasional one would understand and see, and say yes I may lose revenue but I have a better chance of not losing my star player now to an injury to keep fans showing up for revenue. If the owners won't budge on that issue, then what the NHL should implement is a new rule when building a new arena it should be built to allow the expansion of ice if they ever decide to do it. Unfortunately they're not which sucks because just means it will take longer to implement if they can't get the owners to agree to it for the safety of their own players. 

Yes it's easier to go to 4 on 4, but now it will end up changing the rules of the whole game, what do you do when a team takes 2 penalties? Play 4 on 2? You can't do that, so whenever there is penalties it will always be 4 on 3 no matter what, that will get stale and boring so fast. More Players sitting on the bench and not playing, because it's 4 on 4 and penalties 4 on 3 a lot, it just would be boring after 3 periods like that. You have to keep the game 5 on 5, but without taking all hitting out of the game because the way it's going for the safety of the players the trend is to remove all hitting for safety, when instead they could have larger ice to fix the problem. It's something the NHL and Owners need to really discuss for the safety of their players, before they start losing young star players to career ending injuries.

Will also add I actually enjoy watching things like the World Cup of Hockey or Olympics when they use international size ice, a lot more then when I watch the NHL play in their Arenas. When watching hockey at those events with bigger ice you get to see the very skilled players pull somethings off they wouldn't ever be able to do in the NHL because they don't have the space and time to do it, so really as a fan you're just missing out on more talent you're not able to see, because owners don't care about their safety of players and just care about making money, sucks. 

And you get more ice-level seats. Arenas can be renovated, they don't need to be rebuilt. If they can't be simply renovated, they are due for a rebuild anyway. How can you play basketball and hockey in the same building?

I am a huge fan of bigger ice.

5 hours ago, NHTyrany said:

And you get more ice-level seats. Arenas can be renovated, they don't need to be rebuilt. If they can't be simply renovated, they are due for a rebuild anyway. How can you play basketball and hockey in the same building?

I am a huge fan of bigger ice.

Yes they can, but Owners want the most revenue possible and by taking out the first 1-2 rows of seating most of them don't want that because then they lose money for paid fans. I know they can do it, it's just they're greedy Owners who would prefer more money instead of safety for their players.

The thing to remember, when puting in bigger ice is you don't lose the seats closest to the ice, you do however lose a row or two at the top of the building.

Revenue drop is two rows of the cheapest seats, as the row that was two back from the ice is now up against the boards.

20 minutes ago, gurn said:

The thing to remember, when puting in bigger ice is you don't lose the seats closest to the ice, you do however lose a row or two at the top of the building.

Revenue drop is two rows of the cheapest seats, as the row that was two back from the ice is now up against the boards.

Edit: Changed my mind actually the Owners still lose money for the most expensive seats in the lower level since the lower level is normally more expensive then the top, I see the logic you're trying to say, but losing 2 rows on the bottom level is a lot more revenue from paid tickets because those 2 rows aren't replaced in the lower level, if anything it would probably raise the price of upper level tickets then. Maybe the owners are also saying they don't want to pay for the fees for construction/reconstruction for it, this is when the NHL should step in and help pay for those expenses. The seating would have to be fix for the whole bottom level, because the first row is level with the ice and the rows behind go up, so they would have to make the 3rd row level with the ice or it would look weird the first row would be sitting in the middle of the glass lol

23 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

I guess it depends on on the industry for sure. My wife and I both work in tech and each got immediate 25-30% wage increases. I was able to buy a 3 bedroom detached house walking distance to subway and bikeable to downtown in good weather. In BC I don't know if I would even be able to get a place in Abbotsford nevermind Vancouver. 

Toronto is still messed-up though. About 45 minutes from my company's office in Manhattan I could buy a detached house for around $650K USD and earn A LOT more for the exact same role. 

I'd never put down Calgary or Edmonton as they likely provide a decent standard of living. What is completely messed up about Vancouver is if my wife and I (31 no kids) both earned in the 99th percentile in Vancouver there is still not a single detached home in the city we could afford on that income. Kind of just gave up and left. Toronto is a struggle but at least we have some something here.  

:huh:

Pretty sure that's not true..

23 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

Started first career in Victoria, it’s not as bad as Vancouver but it’s also messed up housingwise given the low wages.  Managed well via self-employment and also was a top earner, but was in the market before it went haywire (although at the time it wasn’t cheap either, on par with North Vancouver, just a little more house, and a little more yard).  It always bothered me that a lot of my clients who were also top earners, would have to get a 40 year mortgage and have a rental suite if they wanted to buy something new in a good neighbourhood (with two incomes). It shouldn’t take that long to pay a house off anywhere, the pro’s just aren’t worth it.    Vancouver is nuts, have a lot of family sitting on gold mines with their housing, legacy is about the only way to buy a house now, even 300k per year isn’t enough IMO.  OTT is very affordable and better wages too.  Don’t like big cities and never have, but do like to visit them and of course hockey is great.   MTL is also afforadable and lots of opportunity for the right industry, plus is pretty cool to visit too.   It used to be that one professional would make about 1/3 gross what it would cost for a modest home in a Vancouver suburb (Surrey) and Victoria, middle management government wage.  What government jobs pay 400k per year these days in Vancouver or 250k in Victoria?  It’s stupid. 

There are lots of nice places to live in BC, but it’s expensive compared to anywhere else in the country.  At one point Ontario was more expensive, TO and OTT still are, but once someone with money makes the bucket list BC pilmagrage often a moving truck follows, same with Calgarians, that and foreign investors keep the market way past where it really should be.  

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Started first career in Victoria, it’s not as bad as Vancouver but it’s also messed up housingwise given the low wages.  Managed well via self-employment and also was a top earner, but was in the market before it went haywire (although at the time it wasn’t cheap either, on par with North Vancouver, just a little more house, and a little more yard).  It always bothered me that a lot of my clients who were also top earners, would have to get a 40 year mortgage and have a rental suite if they wanted to buy something new in a good neighbourhood (with two incomes). It shouldn’t take that long to pay a house off anywhere, the pro’s just aren’t worth it.    Vancouver is nuts, have a lot of family sitting on gold mines with their housing, legacy is about the only way to buy a house now, even 300k per year isn’t enough IMO.  OTT is very affordable and better wages too.  Don’t like big cities and never have, but do like to visit them and of course hockey is great.   MTL is also afforadable and lots of opportunity for the right industry, plus is pretty cool to visit too.   It used to be that one professional would make about 1/3 gross what it would cost for a modest home in a Vancouver suburb (Surrey) and Victoria, middle management government wage.  What government jobs pay 400k per year these days in Vancouver or 250k in Victoria?  It’s stupid. 

There are lots of nice places to live in BC, but it’s expensive compared to anywhere else in the country.  At one point Ontario was more expensive, TO and OTT still are, but once someone with money makes the bucket list BC pilmagrage often a moving truck follows, same with Calgarians, that and foreign investors keep the market way past where it really should be.  

A friend shared on twitter a post about how housing in the US has grown way out of line of wages over the past 20 years. The bad cities were 3x housing growth over wages. The worst (Miami) was 4x. Vancouver is 12x!

Really need to get a Green Card. If I got an opportunity to move to the US I'd be gone so quick. I was talking to one of our implementation partners who is from the GTA and now lives in Virginia. In the GTA he had a townhouse in Oakville (45 minutes outside of Toronto). In Virginia he lives in an 8,000 sq ft mansion a 10 minute drive from his country club and owns two Teslas doing the same job. He said it is absolutely mind boggling how much his quality of life improved. In most US cities the house I bought would cost less than what I earn annually. Our household income is 4-5x higher than the neighbourhood average as prices have gotten so out of control 

8 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

A friend shared on twitter a post about how housing in the US has grown way out of line of wages over the past 20 years. The bad cities were 3x housing growth over wages. The worst (Miami) was 4x. Vancouver is 12x!

Really need to get a Green Card. If I got an opportunity to move to the US I'd be gone so quick. I was talking to one of our implementation partners who is from the GTA and now lives in Virginia. In the GTA he had a townhouse in Oakville (45 minutes outside of Toronto). In Virginia he lives in an 8,000 sq ft mansion a 10 minute drive from his country club and owns two Teslas doing the same job. He said it is absolutely mind boggling how much his quality of life improved. In most US cities the house I bought would cost less than what I earn annually. Our household income is 4-5x higher than the neighbourhood average as prices have gotten so out of control 

It’s sad really, that prices are so out of whack with wages, makes me feel for the generations coming up that want to stay but will leave as the dream of home ownership is so far out of sight.  Other places in the world are like this too, London and San Francisco have been for some time, guess it’s the price to pay to live in a world class city.  

On 10/19/2018 at 10:20 PM, canucklehead44 said:

Don't they have pond hockey all season long in Scotiabank Arena? ;) 

22 hours ago, spur1 said:

Cities suk period. 

They must because every long weekend they pour out like a bunch of army ants and invade my space and drive up housing costs. 

Not to mention bringing their misguided city values. 

They do. 

But if the debate is what is the best city in Canada that can host a NHL team. Vancouver wins hands down. I mean, the winters alone in most other Canadian cities.....:sadno:

10 hours ago, IBatch said:

It’s sad really, that prices are so out of whack with wages, makes me feel for the generations coming up that want to stay but will leave as the dream of home ownership is so far out of sight.  Other places in the world are like this too, London and San Francisco have been for some time, guess it’s the price to pay to live in a world class city.  

I have a friend who went from Vancouver to Toronto to San Fran as a UX/UI designer.

In Vancouver she wasn’t able to save any money unless she lived at home. Toronto she earned $20k more per year (pre tax) and was able to save about $1k per month. In San Fran she earns $100k more per year and is able to save $3k per month. So while cost of living is higher in San Fran (she also rents a nice place walking distance to work - $4200 per month) the wages make up for it by a large margin. 

Archived