The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary sportsnet host pokes fun at EP concussion

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

54 minutes ago, Canckelhead said:

Was sure it was from TO, but Calgary....wow

Have you been to those loser cities in the winter, or felt the stinking heat in the summer in TO, or the giant bugs in Calgary in their summer?  Every city in Canada, except the east coast, like Halifax, are jealous of us, because we get livable weather in all seasons, and they don't.  They are stuck inside, and are watching us count our flowers in winter.  In summer they get eaten alive by giant bugs.  I don't blame them for their jealousy.  I would be jealous too, if I was stuck in either of those two pimples on the arse of the world. 

3 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah he's in a lawsuit with them I thought, I think don't know all the info on it. But I see Carcillo is interacting with this Eric guy on more things now too.

there is a players tribune post by Carcillo about head injuries.

I tried topost it but it came up baseball for some reason.

Click his link. It is pretty interesting

Thumbs Up to Dan Carcillo 

25 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Nah, that gives Calgary broadcasters fodder for discussion all year. I hope nothing of note or interest happens in Calgary all year so they have nothing to report on and lose their jobs.

Have u tried listening to their station? Its boring AF. Just an irrelevant radio station. 

Just now, drdeath said:

Just another butthurt Calgarian. Sorry your goaltender literally needed FOUR TRIES to make a save off of Petey. You’re allowed to feel a little good about his injury after that happened but don’t go tweeting about it idiot 

Maybe we should enact a law that says Calgarians have to retire in Alberta, and not come here?  Seriously, who has ever heard of anyone moving from here to retire in Calgary?  :lol:  Enjoy the blinding snow, and killing cold!!!!  :lol:  I better water may palm tree.  

32 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Wow good for him, this is definitely going viral now, but glad someone who has played the game and experienced these issues is speaking up on it and that these matters are no joke, and making Francis and Sportsnet look like idiots.

I realize this won't be the popular viewpoint around here - but the fact that Calgary's response to the Gudbranson hit on Dube - which was nowhere near as severe and without intent to injure - ie a hockey play that turned into a mis-timed / bad hit - resulted in (what may be a relatively severe) head injury to Hamonic - might give pause to the dominant assumption that the appropriate response to these incidents is to chase that player down and exact some revenge.

We all would have liked to see a 'response' - but the reality is that sometimes those 'responses' spill over - don't end in the intended result - and lead to conflating the problem.

In this case - the team legitimately appears to have been relatively unaware of what happened at the time - as it was not really in the heart of the play, but occured after Pettersson centered the puck to Eriksson.   Ideally someone saw what happened, and sent a 'message' to Matheson.  However, the reality is that the message doesn't always result in the intended effect - as was clearly the case when Hamonic's response resulted in a broken face for him.  

Would we all feel better today if Goldobin had seen what happened, picked a fight with Matheson and also wound up with a concussion?

Part of the problem with hockey fights is how much risk in involved to both parties - bare fist, on ice where players have been more severely injured by the ice at the end of a fight as by the fight itself, helmets to break hands on, and the fact there are no weight classes.   None of those conditions exist in mixed martial arts and yet, nevertheless countless concussions occur regardless - and those guys are 'prize fighters' not hockey players, who less and less are pugilists.

We can debate about what the response should have been - and very few of us would want to see a lack of response....

But one thing that's clear to me at this point - as it has turned out - the test/onus is now clearly in the hands of the DoPeS - this has landed squarely in their 'court' - and as far as I'm concerned, their leniency is a large part of why these incidents still occur with the frequency they do.  If anyone repeatedly fails to send a "message" it's them imo.  Count me among those with low expectations of them - that hopes to be proved wrong.

Unfortunately I’ve been living in Alberta for over 20years now. I use to read through the Calgary Sun while on break at work almost daily. I never saw EF write anything that seemed insightful or thought out or credible. I’m not sure who he sucks off to keep his job, considering he’s kept his job this long mean he’s good at something. 

51C1388B-CA67-4036-8883-27B2048A2DE6.gif

1 hour ago, Baer. said:

I think it's funny lol

Yeah, once again a major overreaction to something here on CDC. So he made light of the hit, made a joke of it. Why are people so bent out of shape over this ?

and why am I reading on every thread about Pettersson the following quote " This should be grounds for immediate termination " from @King Heffy hahaha

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Rather than a ridiculous twitter all out SJW flame assault on the guy, I would hope Sportsnet would have the common sense and decency to suspend him for a week without pay or something.

Considering his position and the privilege he has that he has a platform to express his opinions where people can respond to his opinions, this should be grounds for termination if not, as you said suspended without pay.

Despite how cancerous our media in Vancouver can be, I've never seen or heard Botchford, Gallagher, or any of the TSN 1040 hacks make a classless remark about a rival team's player's injury.

4 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

Yeah, once again a major overreaction to something here on CDC. So he made light of the hit, made a joke of it. Why are people so bent out of shape over this ?

and why am I reading on every thread about Pettersson the following quote " This should be grounds for immediate termination " from @King Heffy hahaha

cuz Heffy is like that.

I think he secretly wants every player in the NHL suspended so that he can realize his dream of becoming an NHL star

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

looks like the chump is overwhelmed by the response

Back pedalling quicker than an NFL Defensive back.

That second part makes him look like an even bigger douche. So you know him, thinks he is impressive, then you trash him?

******* Tool.

Archived