The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Paul Bernardo to seek Parole Wednesday Oct. 17

ChuckNORRIS4Cup

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

meh, just release him into the general prison population and let nature do it's course.  No sense regular law abiding citizens getting their hands dirty.

That's what they said about Rob Noyes and he's out there 'somewhere'.  Vomit producing are these guys.

2 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That's what they said about Rob Noyes and he's out there 'somewhere'.  Vomit producing are these guys.

You should read my post again - I said release him to the general prison population which isn't the same as parole.  There's a reason why he's in isolation now - to protect him from the other prisoners getting to him. 

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

You should read my post again - I said release him to the general prison population which isn't the same as parole.  There's a reason why he's in isolation now - to protect him from the other prisoners getting to him. 

Oh sorry man.  That sounds like a much better plan.

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Isolation for a quarter of a century.  At least the prison is doing things right.  Now it's just up to the parole board to keep him in there.

4 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Just leave him in prison.  I doubt after 25 years in the clink, he's somehow a newer and better man.  It's a bit odd that he is even eligible for parole.  What more do you have to do in Canada to get locked up for life?

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not really, in Canada you can be deemed a dangerous offender and get an indeterminate sentence that can go on forever which is the case for Bernardo. But it comes with a formality in the law that the case has to be reviewed every so often. He has zero chance of ever getting out. 

Many US states allow for parole opportunity after 20 or 25 years. That being said this scum will die in prison.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Many US states allow for parole opportunity after 20 or 25 years. That being said this scum will die in prison.

For what he did, I have no doubt that all of the death penalty states would have put him to death.  Most, if not all, of the rest would have given him life w/o parole.

If you rape, torture, and kill kids in the US, your life is essentially over one way or the other.

4 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The fact that they let Homolka out is further evidence that Bernardo will remain. They only let Homolka out because of evidence that Bernardo was mostly responsible. The increased blame on Bernardo means he will have an even harder time getting parole. 

That @&$# should be rotting in a cell as well. She let Bernardo kill her sister, for &^@#s sake. 

8 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

My honest imo I believe he shouldn't be allowed parole and should rot in jail.

Paul Bernardo to seek parole Wednesday after 25 years in prison

Convicted killer and rapist Bernardo, 54, became eligible for parole in February

Paul Bernardo, whose very name became synonymous with sadistic sexual perversion, is expected to plead for release on Wednesday by arguing he has done what he could to improve himself during his 25 years in prison, mostly in solitary confinement.

Designated a dangerous offender, Bernardo, 54, became eligible for parole in February but has so far not been allowed beyond the confines of his maximum security prison in eastern Ontario.

Bernardo's parole hearing at the Bath Institution is expected to attract numerous observers, most of whom will have to watch via a videolink. The hearing also comes almost two weeks after the prosecution withdrew a weapon-possession charge against him related to the discovery of a screw attached to a ballpoint pen handle in his cell.

Defence lawyer Fergus (Chip) O'Connor did not respond Tuesday to a request to discuss his client's bid for freedom. However, at the aborted weapon trial this month, he outlined the pitch Bernardo was expected to make to the National Parole Board panel.

"He's as horrified as you and I are at what he did," O'Connor said. "I expect that he will take full responsibility, express remorse, and he appears to be sincere in that."

While isolation has limited available programming, Bernardo has made a "determined effort not to make up for what he's done — for that can never be done — but to improve himself" and has been of good behaviour in "very hard conditions" of confinement, O'Connor said.

Bernardo's crimes over several years in the late 1980s and early 1990s, some of which he videotaped, sparked widespread terror and revulsion.

Among them, Bernardo and his then-wife Karla Homolka kidnapped, tortured and killed Leslie Mahaffy, 14, of Burlington, Ont., in June 1991 at their home in Port Dalhousie, Ont., before dismembering her body, encasing her remains in cement and dumping them in a nearby lake. Dubbed the "Scarborough rapist," Bernardo also tortured and killed Kristen French, 15, of St. Catharines, Ont., in April 1992 after keeping her captive for three days.

Bernardo was ultimately convicted in 1995 of the first-degree murders of the two teens and numerous sexual assaults. He was given life without parole eligibility until he had served 25 years since his arrest in early 1993.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/paul-bernardo-parole-hearing-1.4865061

He won't get parole.

Canadian Criminal law is set up with no death penalty and a parole system because death penalty systems do not work.

In the US, since DNA testing has started, there have been more than 10 persons who have been posthumously, (after being executed) been proven innocent.  Another 20 sentenced to death have been released after being proven innocent while waiting on Death Row for execution.   Another 39 were executed without having their cases reviewed for new DNA evidence which could have exonerated them.  Every year multiple cases of persons being wrongly convicted and sentenced to death come up.

A recent study concluded up to 1 in 25 persons convicted in the US prior to DNA testing and sentenced to death were likely innocent.  That means 100's of people were wrongly convicted and executed.

Canada has safeguards in place... i.e. 'Dangerous Offender' classifications, which mean the prisoner is not eligible for parole... and now those convicted can be sentenced to concurrent terms, which means they will die in jail.

Bernardo will not get out of jail... for the same reason Clifford Olson won't.

Other persons, who commit murders in less premeditated fashions and who genuinely are repentant should have the opportunity for parole.

People who advocate for the death penalty are basically saying they are willing to see innocent people executed so their revenge instinct can be gratified.

The fact is, being sentenced to life imprisonment is no picnic and those persons who have no chance of parole are just as effectively removed from the public as someone who is executed.

7 hours ago, Down by the River said:

The fact that they let Homolka out is further evidence that Bernardo will remain. They only let Homolka out because of evidence that Bernardo was mostly responsible. The increased blame on Bernardo means he will have an even harder time getting parole. 

As I recalled, Homolka, got a lighter sentence because she made a plea bargain with prosecutors before new evidence showed she was just as complacent as Bernardo in the murders.

From Wikipedia:

"During the 1993 investigation, Homolka stated to investigators that Bernardo had abused her and that she had been an unwilling accomplice to the murders. As a result, she struck a deal with prosecutors for a reduced prison sentence of 12 years in exchange for a guilty plea to the charge of manslaughter. Homolka scored 5/40 on the Psychopathy Checklist, in contrast to Bernardo's 35/40.[5]

However, videotapes of the crimes surfaced after the plea bargain and demonstrated that she was a more active participant than she had claimed.[6][7] As a result, the deal that she had struck with prosecutors was dubbed in the Canadian press the "Deal with the Devil". Public outrage about Homolka's plea deal continued until her high-profile release from prison in 2005"

5 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That @&$# should be rotting in a cell as well. She let Bernardo kill her sister, for &^@#s sake. 

She also took part in it. Those two should both be executed.

However, videotapes of the crimes surfaced after the plea bargain and demonstrated that she was a more active participant than she had claimed.[6][7]As a result, the deal that she had struck with prosecutors was dubbed in the Canadian press the "Deal with the Devil". Public outrage about Homolka's plea deal continued until her high-profile release from prison in 2005"

15 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

They even ran a criminal background check on her before they let her work at the school as a volunteer.  What amazes me is that they are ok with her having actually murdered multiple children in the past.

In the US, you'd get your house burned down or worse by angry parents if you so much as stepped foot on school property let alone volunteer there.

yeah I really don't get it, maybe someone there was over sympathetic to her situation somehow? its a head scratcher for sure. 

6 hours ago, DonLever said:

As I recalled, Homolka, got a lighter sentence because she made a plea bargain with prosecutors before new evidence showed she was just as complacent as Bernardo in the murders.

From Wikipedia:

"During the 1993 investigation, Homolka stated to investigators that Bernardo had abused her and that she had been an unwilling accomplice to the murders. As a result, she struck a deal with prosecutors for a reduced prison sentence of 12 years in exchange for a guilty plea to the charge of manslaughter. Homolka scored 5/40 on the Psychopathy Checklist, in contrast to Bernardo's 35/40.[5]

However, videotapes of the crimes surfaced after the plea bargain and demonstrated that she was a more active participant than she had claimed.[6][7] As a result, the deal that she had struck with prosecutors was dubbed in the Canadian press the "Deal with the Devil". Public outrage about Homolka's plea deal continued until her high-profile release from prison in 2005"

She was an active participant, and lied about that, but what came out was that her participation may have been tied to threats from Bernardo.

I am not saying I agree that she felt threatened and that is why she did it, I'm just explaining the logic behind why she got a lesser sentence. 

Archived