The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Oct. 16, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

8 minutes ago, Apple Juice said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4020/

From 09-10 to 17-18, he averages about 126.2 blocks a year and that's not including this year. He had a career high 203 just last year. 

https://www.hockey-reference.com/players/e/edleral01.html#

Or if you go back as 07-08 to 17-18, he averages about 118.6 blocks a year not including the 35 from this year.

For the 2012-13 lockout year, he would've had 147.6 blocks that year in an 82 game span.

Thanks.  

So he's higher last year than usual and significantly on Pace for higher this year ( although a small sample of games) 

Right? 

6 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

Could it be that Edler blocks so many shots because he is too slow to get out of the way?  Just kidding!  If they need an emergency goalie they can stick him in between the pipes.

Good idea. If he's not playing d maybe the other team won't get any shots on goal. 

2 minutes ago, erkayloomeh said:

Thanks.  

So he's higher last year than usual and significantly on Pace for higher this year ( although a small sample of games) 

Right? 

If he keeps this up and plays all 82 games, he'd have 478 blocked shots. The NHL record for blocked shots in a season is 283 set by Kris Russell in 14-15.

12. Vancouver Canucks

It’s unfortunate that Elias Pettersson’s brutal concussion has detracted from a heck of a road trip for the surprising Canucks, who’ve reminded us how silly it is to read anything into the pre-season.

I didn't think the reffing was great, but it was very consistent. I'll take consistent reffing over sub par reffing any day. I thought both teams should have had penalties, maybe 2 more powerplays for us, but it was definitely kept under control and the players were allowed to play. 

Great game from the bottom six. Top line still needs to be better but it's nice to see Boeser when given room looks like he finally has his confidence to shoot the puck back. 

Schaller, even though he looked awful in preseason and I didn't think warrented a spot on the team obviously has stepped his game up necessarily. He wasn't throwing hits or forechecking hard, but he definitely did that game. Reminds me of Hansen with less foot speed and a weaker shot. I'll take it. Guadette I thought deserved a better look. He made some nice plays don't know why he was benched. 

I was going nuts that we did our third period shell again. This team and every team in the league really needs to stop trying to defend leads. Carolina showed us why it's a good idea to finish out games rather than be scared of losing them. Be like Carolina in that regard. 

Surprisingly good game. We were definitely the better team in my opinion, which I never would have expected. 

11 hours ago, hobart16 said:

Edler has been fantastic this year.  He has made a handful of clearing pass mistakes but who doesn't playing that much, and against some damn good competition. 

He's been decent. I'd say he's been fantastic if he was better on the pk this year and he took less penalties and had more poise with the puck. Defensively he's been okay. I still don't support his style of goaltending rather than tying up guys. Nearly cost us a goal blocking an easy unscreened point shot, where it popped out to the slot. Made Nilsson make his best save of the night. That's a huge mistake in my eyes. 

Also I think if you take him away from Tanev, he's not nearly the player he'd be with anybody else. Tanev has covered up a lot of his defensive mistakes this year. 

I feel like he's a Jekyll/Hyde. Plays half of the game really well (#1 dman level) and the other half quite poorly (#6 dman level). 

23 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Nhl radio gave Benning a d minus grade this year. They were confused by the free agency acquisitions of Beagle Schaller and Rousseau. Their stupidity is funny sometimes. 

@ notdoingittheLeafsway

Seems those 'Sedin Replacements' are doing okay so far...

The next perplexity will be how they aren't putting up #muh100points, yet the team is winning.

13 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Winnipeg just lost 5-4 in OT against the Oilers at home when they were up 4-1 after two periods. I can see our game tomorrow be a loss considering Winnipeg wants to bounce back and come out hard.

Some Utica prospects are going incognito to goad Laine into a Fortnite all-niter, and well into tomorrow.  He'll be even more cocky and confident than normal, but dead exhausted.

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

He's been decent. I'd say he's been fantastic if he was better on the pk this year and he took less penalties and had more poise with the puck. Defensively he's been okay. I still don't support his style of goaltending rather than tying up guys. Nearly cost us a goal blocking an easy unscreened point shot, where it popped out to the slot. Made Nilsson make his best save of the night. That's a huge mistake in my eyes. 

Also I think if you take him away from Tanev, he's not nearly the player he'd be with anybody else. Tanev has covered up a lot of his defensive mistakes this year. 

I feel like he's a Jekyll/Hyde. Plays half of the game really well (#1 dman level) and the other half quite poorly (#6 dman level). 

You explained Edler perfectly to a T man.

Luckily a real defenseman with the talent and intelligence like Tanev saves his @ss almost every shift and it's been young Stecher in the past also defending strongly skating circles around the guy while he's struggling around the ice hanging by a thread looking to block a shot at best lol. I don't know where we'd be without Tanev and Stecher we need these 2 to stay healthy badly.

Really how some of these Edler lovers on here like Old News fail to see the obvious Jekyll and Hyde you mention is beyond me. All I can think of is I guess they just miss out on all the details of the game and haven't a clue possibly better suited to watch the Whitecaps or whatever I don't know.

Anyway the Edler of old at least scored more and dished out some decent hits and passes now and then but unfortunately made tonnes of mistakes and errors that killed us nightly now he's toned down the mistakes down finally I think thanks to Green saying enoughs enough but now problem is he's virtually no threat to score or get the big hits in like he at least used to.

Other problems are now he's slow as molasses (slower than ever) and really he must be opposition forwards dream to get all that time and space Edler provides for them to create scoring chances and to top it off he submits and tries to play goalie standing stagnant and easy prey and blocking most shots because there's nothing else he can do and knows that's has to be his only contribution because he's always a step behind.

His offense is horrendous these days whether it's his bad breakout passes missing frequently, has no ability to rush pucks into the zone too slow, the slow motion telegraphed powerplay drop passes or the slow puck movement, poor shot choice selection and poor useless shots when we finally get in the zone opportunities for our skilled guys completely wasted they basically carry him he looks lost out there.

The other bad thing is Edler scares the $hit out of me the way he looks so sluggish and clumsy when pressured holding the line it looks like a penalty killers dream to steal pucks for odd man rushes and odd man chances! PK players must be licking their lips thinking damn I pressure this guy or shot block he's screwed he's so slow theres mo way he'd catch anyone lol.

To me coach Green clearly has much better options in Stecher and Hutton he could practice up and try out I know for a fact they couldn't do any worse and they have the tools to do a way more good than Edler. Maybe they'll get that chance when Green figures out just how bad he is and there's no hope and he's wasting the great skills of EP Brock Bo... and severely limiting potential offense they'd create with someone better offensively and someone has the speed and quick puck movement needed.

Thank god Huttons looking great and Hughes is coming is all I gotta say!

13 hours ago, apollo said:

Edler for Norris.

Loui for Selke

Nilly for Vezina

Elias for Calder

Just have to win the cup this year.

Tank nation needs to wake up and jump on the bandwagon before it's too late. Don't be caught like a fool jumping on way too late.

I repeat... All of Tank Nation... ABORT MISSION. JUMP SHIP!

You forgot to include the Sedins come out of retirement before TDL and be major part of this cup winning team.

10 hours ago, The Big Luongo said:

You Edler lovers have always been in denial its ridiculous lol

Look the guy is playing decent mostly at shot blocking (sometimes hurts more than helps) and pk but definitely hasn't been as good as Tanev and Stecher there's no way and that's why I brought this stuff up earlier in the first place.

Just a handful of clearing mistakes? You must be blind or in denial.

The guy has made horrible useless mistakes leading to 2 pivotal first goals against in 2 of 6 games alone! Our team is notorious for giving up the 1st goal and for a young team that's the last thing you need to start the night and I'd expect much better out of a well paid veteran than that.

I also remember another goal against he didn't clear his man in front screening the goalie in one game.

His passing has been pretty bad for the most part, he's taken a couple penalties, done bad powerplay work messing up several drop passes and very ineffective after setting up in the offensive zone with bad passes and shots and is also -1 on a 4-2  team and hasn't scored a goal for a team that's scored quite a few goals this season and been.given a tonne of opportunities to do that.

I have not been an Edler fan at all and have criticized him for constantly backing up and losing his gap control. And I have echoed you’re earlier complaint about his shooting into the D because he isn’t as mobile as Stecher walking the line. But this year Edlers play has been outstanding. Tanev? You’re delusional. He is doing ok, but he has taken a modest step backwards IMO this year but he is logging tough minutes too. Let’s say he has gone from very good to good.  Same with Stecher; he is doing ok but there is a reason his ice time is what it is. If you’re suggesting Edler and Stecher should swap minutes that’s nonsense. Stecher is certainly quick and can play in the right situations with the right partner and does a better job jumping up into the play.  But Edler can play in all situations and has no such limitations. 

14 hours ago, oldnews said:

Just had the chance to watch that game.

Granlund Schaller Motte were outstanding - and so were Sutter Virtanen Roussel.

Fun team to watch now.  The bottom six is just so solid - even in the absence of Beagle - they shut down the Crosby and Malkin lines impressively.

Tanev and Edler as well - all these guys getting in the 20-30% offensive zone range - and giving up so little in the way of quality scoring chances against.

But really, the entire team is playing solid defensive hockey - tight, team systems.  Love watching that - particularly when half the group is so young. 

Liked all the pairings in this game.

Nice to see Ben Hutton coming out of a shell.   Don't really care about the pinch mistake that gave up the odd man rush and tying goal - it wasn't a great decision, particularly with three minutes remaining (but somewhat understandable the way the play developed).   I'll take him making the odd mistake without the puck, as what's more important imo is that he's improving where he was struggling - which was with the puck on his stick / puck moving.   He's not making the passive, hesitant mistakes - and he's carrying the puck like he's able to, which opens the ice up and it's no mystery he wound up ending his goal drought and nearly adding a second. 

Schaller certainly deserves a particular shout out after that game imo.

7 hits - and a whole lot of excellent forechecking puck pressure.

28.6% ozone starts, 55% corsi with a couple points and +1 in that shutdown role.  He, Granlund and Motte were great all night long.

Further to that, Hutton looked to me like a guy who was playing tentatively....afraid to make a mistake because it would end up landing him in the press box for the next game. This is a fairly common trait for a guy who's managed to play his way into the coach's doghouse.

I think showing up in shape this year has made all the difference. TG is still going to be tough on him, but if he can go out there and play without over thinking every scenario and just let his hockey instincts take over, he'l be back on track and the occasional gaffe like the one last night, won't be what defines him.

Apropos of nothing, but the Sedin talk brings this little tidbit from "31 Thoughts" to mind:

At the Canucks’ final home game last season — the emotional goodbye to Daniel and Henrik Sedin — fans in attendance at Rogers Arena spent an average of $22.33. I’m still not sure I believe it, but someone who would know swears it is true.

Pretty awesome, if true....

On 10/17/2018 at 1:34 PM, Apple Juice said:

I think DeSmith meant that he knew where the shot was going to be so he was leaning towards that side. He thought he had it covered but found a hole under or near his arm or whatever. Probably a bit hurt that he let a good shot beat him and too proud to admit it.

There's nothing wrong with saying something like 'their guy made a great shot and I just missed it'.

I just thought it was funny coming from another Pens goalie.  #MurrayMentoring

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Pittsburgh Penguins | Oct. 16, 2018

Archived