The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson Can't Be a Passenger (Article)

Canckelhead

Lots of good responses in here imo.

Not sure who wrote that / what the source is - but it reads like the kind of predisposed elementary analysis you'd get from a canucksmarmy effort.

People have pointed this out - but LE plays a number of roles on that line that probably shouldn't be reduced to 3 (secondary) pts in 6 games.

He's a top flight defensive forward - something you absolutely want on the ice enabling EP and Goldobin to thrive.  EP may himself be proving to be better defensively than we could have expected at this stage, but it nevertheless does not follow that LE's presence on that line is not complementary, and enables EP to open it up when he sees fit.

Eriksson is also the forechecking presence - and the guy that goes to the paint.  The idea that he hasn't vacuumed up goals through 6 games does not mean there is no impact - the fact Eriksson goes to these areas creates traffic - and space - for EP and Goldobin.   LE's intelligence should be clear to people capable of reading the game.

He's playing a solid supporting role - people that don't see that are probably too bent on the 6 million yardstick and not really looking at his role. 

He may not be the driver, but he's certainly not a passenger.

I actually like the way Louie being the so called "passenger" on this line.  It might sound crazy but sometimes putting all the big guns you got on the same line doesn't exactly work out well. There was few shift where Green puts Boeser on the same line with Goldobin and EP40 hoping Goldobin and EP40's creativity can jump start Boeser's season. Instead, that might be the worst shift that Goldobin and EP40 played since the start of the season. When Louie on that line, Goldobin and EP40 looking for each other on the ice all the time. However, when Boeser on that line, Goldobin almost looks like he need more time to think which of the two elite score he should pass the puck to. It end up led to a lot of turn over or disconnected pass. I look at Louie right now like the Brendan Morrison back in the West Coast Express days. He is more defensively sounded forward out of that line. Still chip in mostly assist and some goals but he would never be that scoring focal point on that line.  

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

put Loui on the fourth line, in a checking role, where he belongs, and put Jake up with Goldy and Pete.  It's time. 

best place for Jake is where he is, If he can learn defence like Sutter and to grind like Roussell he will be much more useful when he earns the chance on a top line.

I like Jake but he is a slow learner and he is learning.

I don't see what he brings to a top ;ine at this point

it could be another case of rushing Jake

He has earned his spot in the NHL, but not the top line, yet

5 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

What the article fails to acknowledge is that Loui actually helps establish puck possession for that line.  Tied for 3rd of the forwards with most take aways.  Something that is criminally underrated about Loui's game is his puck retrieval.  He is really good at getting on the forecheck and using his stick to get loose pucks and allow Goldy and Petts to make their plays.

What he needs to be wayyy better at is the small skills such as passing and getting his shot off quicker.  That is where he looks extremely sluggish in and often kills the play once he is in that position.

What bothers me about LE is the way he played in the boston game last year where he got two goals. I saw a different LE in that game.  

LE can do better but his effort isn't 100 percent most nights.  

That bugs me .  

Eriksson was given his ridiculous 6x6 contract to score goals. We're into year #3 of said contract and he hasn't lifted his end of the bargain. Yes, he might be sound defensively but that's not why he was brought here; so in that regard he has been a passenger.

I've never had a high opinion of Eriksson, even before he was here. To me he always seemed like a contract-seeking mercenary. Once the contract is signed then he starts to relax until the final year of it. This time though he was already an older player when Jim signed him. He skates on the ice but I think he basically retired once that deal was done.

5 hours ago, King Heffy said:

The guy was a one of the highest voted wingers in the Selke race a few years ago.  Given EP has to play the same kind of defensive game, he's a perfect fit for that line.  He's also looked a lot better this season now that we have suitable linemates for him.  The logic is going to be lost on everyone ignoring the fact we didn't have the type of personnel needed to get the most out of him until this season.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

yup he's always been a key complimentary line mate. I am a bit concerned over him being snake bit again, but he's been feeding some beautiful smart passes to both EP and Goldy. If Loui ended up with 0 goals and 50 assists thats fine with me as long as the line he's on is scoring. 

3 hours ago, Qwags said:

I'm of the belief that Eriksson is exactly the type of player you want to play with EP. 

Defensively sound, excellent at puck retrieval, great in front of the net.

2 hours ago, EmilyM said:

If being a parent gets you a $6m salary, I'll sign up for a kid today ::D

It doesn't , but it's worth it.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

Lots of good responses in here imo.

Not sure who wrote that / what the source is - but it reads like the kind of predisposed elementary analysis you'd get from a canucksmarmy effort.

People have pointed this out - but LE plays a number of roles on that line that probably shouldn't be reduced to 3 (secondary) pts in 6 games.

He's a top flight defensive forward - something you absolutely want on the ice enabling EP and Goldobin to thrive.  EP may himself be proving to be better defensively than we could have expected at this stage, but it nevertheless does not follow that LE's presence on that line is not complementary, and enables EP to open it up when he sees fit.

Eriksson is also the forechecking presence - and the guy that goes to the paint.  The idea that he hasn't vacuumed up goals through 6 games does not mean there is no impact - the fact Eriksson goes to these areas creates traffic - and space - for EP and Goldobin.   LE's intelligence should be clear to people capable of reading the game.

He's playing a solid supporting role - people that don't see that are probably too bent on the 6 million yardstick and not really looking at his role. 

He may not be the driver, but he's certainly not a passenger.

All you guys other than EmilyM missed the point. The author wasn't direct enough, but my translation was -

"At $6m/yr, Loui has to be more than a Dad. He's contributing very little and Roussel could do his job (and fight) for half the price"

Maybe he could be a $6m Dman that doesn't ever finish a check? I dunno. I give him credit for being one of the most positionally sound forwards in the league, but he really does SFA in the actual scoring or creation of goals. If you have to pair him with elite forwards for him to produce points, I present Anson Carter.

He's not worth the money. Glad it's not mine.

Edit- I'm going to go and get stoned, legally, for the first time. Considering the posters I just challenged I expect damage incoming.

But I'll be super baked when I respond.

Watch out CDC, one word posts coming up in 30mins.

27 minutes ago, luckylager said:

It doesn't , but it's worth it.

All you guys other than EmilyM missed the point. The author wasn't direct enough, but my translation was -

"At $6m/yr, Loui has to be more than a Dad. He's contributing very little and Roussel could do his job (and fight) for half the price"

Maybe he could be a $6m Dman that doesn't ever finish a check? I dunno. I give him credit for being one of the most positionally sound forwards in the league, but he really does SFA in the actual scoring or creation of goals. If you have to pair him with elite forwards for him to produce points, I present Anson Carter.

He's not worth the money. Glad it's not mine.

Edit- I'm going to go and get stoned, legally, for the first time. Considering the posters I just challenged I expect damage incoming.

But I'll be super baked when I respond.

Watch out CDC, one word posts coming up in 30mins.

its all good Lucky. Its one of those CDC dividing lines. 

17 hours ago, riffraff said:

Pettersson is already showing his totalsuperiority over Louis “defensive” play.

way more hustle

way more tenacity 

elias is making loui look better than he is.  If loui wasn’t in the contract he has he’d be in Utica or traded.

We can agree to disagree. There's more to defensive play than "hustle" and "tenacity"

18 hours ago, apollo said:

I wonder if the dumb*** that wrote this article has watched a second of Loui's game this year?

Probably missed him on the backcheck too last night absolutely robbing the pens of a GWG ...

So silly.

What a dumb article. Absolutely dumb.

Louie playing his role is what allows Petterson and Goldobin to get creative on offence. Louie is an intelligent, dependable hockey player and deserves more credit. Im ok with him being a support player offensively while sheltering the kids defensively. As long as he can still finish on his chances that the kids create, thats all that matters. 

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

IMG_0429.JPG

He's not garbage, he's an average older player with a rather large paycheque. Soon to be in the way of one of our young players moving up. 

On 16/10/2018 at 10:24 PM, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

Joined in June of 2016 with a Bertuzzi44ever name...troll confirmed.

Archived