The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson Can't Be a Passenger (Article)

Canckelhead

2 hours ago, smokes said:

Luoi was never a prolific point getter though, he's always been known for his two way game so that's why I don't mind him so much. Besides, I'd much rather have Eriksson than Lucic at this point.

The season before we signed him, he scored 30 goals...

2 seasons with us he has 21.  We werent expecting him to be the driver on offense.  But we need significantly more than he has given us.

On 2018-10-17 at 11:41 AM, Canckelhead said:

While many might have expected Bo Horvat and Brock Boeser to lead the Vancouver Canucks offensively, that hasn’t been the case early in the season.

First off, Canckelhead,  its an unwritten rule to always link, and/or credit the author if it isn't you.  I googled some of the text and found out where it came from:

The Hockey Writers - Trevor Beggs

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-eriksson-passenger-pettersson/

And Trevor is absolutely right. Almost doesn't have to be said at this point. He's a shell of the player we hoped we had.  Reading through this thread I'm surprised how many CDCers are still hanging on to his bandwagon.  Some even say he should wear the "passenger" label with pride. Good term. He's the foster case your parents agreed to care for for six years and you are forced to take on the road trip with your other friends.  Someone that sits in the back playing fortnite. Doesn't say much. And doesn't pay for gas or snacks. But hey, he's great defensively, as a back seat driver he can instruct you when your going too fast, or taking the wrong highway, or being too loud because he wants a nap.

I'm not concerned about the money, as we are in a rebuild.  (But imagine having instead a Jordan Staal or Kyle Turris to facilitate the youth, both with similar salaries). Yes he's good as a defensive player for the most part. But so are at least half the players in the NHL. My concern isn't that he's not plugging away, but that he's dragging down EP if he remains on his line. Yes EP has been very productive, but how much better can EP develop with a line mate that actually contributes in points?  And not just the one that is good at skating back to defend after that line loses the puck.

Frankly I'm tired of giving him 'just one more' chance.  I like Alf's idea of planting him on the 4th line. Show some hustle, prove yourself, and then maybe he can be moved up.

6 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

The season before we signed him, he scored 30 goals...

2 seasons with us he has 21.  We werent expecting him to be the driver on offense.  But we need significantly more than he has given us.

well we were expecting him to prolong the Sedins productive careers...   and a few years of excellent play could balance against a few average ones at the end.   Based on international tournament play with the Sedins / olympics, it was a good gamble.  But we WERE expecting him to contribute a lot offensively.  at least 30+ goals playing with the Sedins, etc etc.  You can't change the narrative after the fact...

However what we got was a player who is a shadow of his former self.  Sure we still have the 2-way player, but nothing offensively special, and for the millions he is getting paid, it is just a bad situation.  He is cashing in, so he is happy long-term.  short term I'm sure he wants to do a lot better, but early 30s is when players performance often falls off a cliff - it certainly has with him.

So we will probably buy him out - the sooner the better - as he is completely replaceable with a young player - aka Gaudette perhaps?

My understanding is that his contract is essentially buy-out proof, until the last year or two.  I don't hate Ericsson as a third-liner in this stage of his career, for maybe half his salary.  But paying 6 million for third line production is poor management.  However, we're not against the cap, so it really isn't that big of a deal.

13 hours ago, smokes said:

Benning offered the contract. The blame goes to him.  If the fans need to whip Loui that should be directed to Benning

I'm not Benning's secretary but I assume he gave Eriksson that contract because of the 30 goals he scored the prior season. Yes, Jim was duped, Eriksson pulled the old 'bait and switch' and Jim fell for it hard. That is on him.

In fairness to Jim though, he paid for 30 goals per season and Eriksson's been giving him an average of about 15. It was a dumb contract to offer regardless but I'm sure Jim didn't expect to be shortchanged this badly. That's on the player.

14 minutes ago, Riviera82 said:

I'm not Benning's secretary but I assume he gave Eriksson that contract because of the 30 goals he scored the prior season. Yes, Jim was duped, Eriksson pulled the old 'bait and switch' and Jim fell for it hard. That is on him.

In fairness to Jim though, he paid for 30 goals per season and Eriksson's been giving him an average of about 15. It was a dumb contract to offer regardless but I'm sure Jim didn't expect to be shortchanged this badly. That's on the player.

So Eriksson baited Benning the whole time the two of them were in Boston? Loui needs to get into Hollywood.

Time for Benning to cut his losses and send Eriksson to the AHL and replace him with some more grit. Some toughness to protect the young guys and open up ice for the finesse players.. Soft teams are easy push overs. If Benning can't do the job its time to replace him ..

1 hour ago, BKilo said:

Time for Benning to cut his losses and send Eriksson to the AHL and replace him with some more grit. Some toughness to protect the young guys and open up ice for the finesse players.. Soft teams are easy push overs. If Benning can't do the job its time to replace him ..

Eriksson can make up for Goldobin's defensive liabilities, grit can not. Goldobin isn't that good on the backcheck, Pettersson needs time to come back because he's usually deep in the offensive zone and Eriksson is defensively responsible to cover for them until Pettersson gets back to help. Plus, Pettersson can connect more being mentored by a fellow Swede than grit. With two rookies on the same line, you need to balance that our with a little bit of veteran presence. As for his six million dollar paycheck...who really cares? The Canucks are a rebuilding team, they don't need that cap space for the next couple of years and it wasn't like a Tavares was going to come in here anyways. If this is an argument because his cap space hinders the Canucks from resigning players, you can make that cap space argument but since they are rebuilding it doesn't really matter. Eriksson the hockey player is still better than most players in Utica and a better option for giving the Canucks defensive help plus smart enough to get the puck to the right guys in the offensive. Eriksson the hockey player is still a pretty good hockey player, don't be mad because of his paycheck. Be mad if he hurts us and right now he's still helping the Canucks more than hurting the Canucks.

23 hours ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

It definitely will take a miracle to be able to trade him with that contract, maybe if he was going to be a free agent it would of been more possible, but with 3 more years it's going to be near impossible. The only way I see it happening is if EP helps him rack up the assists and a team who's pushing or going into the playoffs ends up losing a LW long term due to injury and isn't willing to give up much for a trade, then just maybe a trade could be possible.

I think it's doable. Right now Petterson has been a bit greedy with his goal scoring. Plus he has scored a few on the powerplay, which is without Eriksson right now, so there is that. It's not like Eriksson has forgotten how to get to the softer areas of the ice to score goals. When he gets there and he and Petterson play together more, he's gonna find him and the puck is going to start going in. Petterson is just that good. Right now it's Goldobin who's getting those opportunities, but he's still pretty green and missing a few. Maybe there's a preferred spot on the ice Petterson passes to and that's why we're seeing Goldobin get the opportunities or maybe Goldy is just a little more Johnny on the spot? Either way, if Eriksson wants more goals, he will find the right areas and he's less likely to miss them because of his experience. Either way, time will tell, but I'm hoping! We're gonna need him.

He is a poor man’s Jannik Hansen, a guy who in his prime made it politically incorrect to call a top 6 forward or even 2nd liner - popularizing the term “middle six”.

Loui if he hit free agency this offseason would probably be in the league paid somewhere between 1-2 million per.

EDIT: Jannik Hansen on the Canucks not now

Archived