The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson Can't Be a Passenger (Article)

Canckelhead

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

the prevailing opinion on CDC isn't something I'd quote. The prevailing opinion was to pick Glass over Pettersson. 

In fairness, we've watched Eriksson play umpteen games over 2 or is it 3 years.  We never saw Glass or Pettersson to the same extent, many of us only saw 2 or 3 games of each player or less .  It's like comparing apples and oranges.

CDC is good at things where repeated viewing and learning helps.  Like any of us.  The level of expertise here is not "professional", nor are we able to access inside information, BUT most of us watch the games pretty closely, which is worth something.  Certainly enough to have an informed opinion about players who drive play vs. those who are carried along.

Eriksson has disappointed.  He was brought here to score goals, even to play with the Sedins, many hoped.  Watching the games, it's hard not to be soured on the likes of Gagner and Eriksson -- two of the same thing, really.  Linden Vey did more for this team than Eriksson has done, imo. 

At the moment Eriksson has fewer points than Virtanen, but has played more minutes of hockey.  He has had every chance to succeed thrown at him.  E.g., this season he has played a fair amount with EP; much more than Virtanen has.  Gaudette has no points but has had a few real looks, perhaps as many looks as Eriksson has had and with fewer minutes and no play with EP.  Eriksson can be replaced right now, the problem is the money and what to do with him.

12 hours ago, gameburn said:

In fairness, we've watched Eriksson play umpteen games over 2 or is it 3 years.  We never saw Glass or Pettersson to the same extent, many of us only saw 2 or 3 games of each player or less .  It's like comparing apples and oranges.

CDC is good at things where repeated viewing and learning helps.  Like any of us.  The level of expertise here is not "professional", nor are we able to access inside information, BUT most of us watch the games pretty closely, which is worth something.  Certainly enough to have an informed opinion about players who drive play vs. those who are carried along.

Eriksson has disappointed.  He was brought here to score goals, even to play with the Sedins, many hoped.  Watching the games, it's hard not to be soured on the likes of Gagner and Eriksson -- two of the same thing, really.  Linden Vey did more for this team than Eriksson has done, imo. 

At the moment Eriksson has fewer points than Virtanen, but has played more minutes of hockey.  He has had every chance to succeed thrown at him.  E.g., this season he has played a fair amount with EP; much more than Virtanen has.  Gaudette has no points but has had a few real looks, perhaps as many looks as Eriksson has had and with fewer minutes and no play with EP.  Eriksson can be replaced right now, the problem is the money and what to do with him.

it all depends on how you define "success" in hockey. Green clearly values what he's doing without the puck, far more than many do on CDC I've noticed. Loui had a great game against Boston, and it showed up on the score sheet with only 1 Boston goal, but for some reason thats not considered successful by a lot on here. 

I do agree that offensively its hard not to see his production as disappointing, even with him being statistically as good as any partner the Sedin's had, people rightfully expected more. 

But to compare him to Gagner is a stretch. If Gagner brought 1/2 the defensive awareness Loui did he wouldn't have been given to an AHL team. 

What are we discussing here!?

Is Loui worth his pay check? No... he's not. Who's fault is that? Kind of Jim Bennings... If someone offers me a new job with a big raise I'll take it. If I can't do the job (for the money) it's not really my fault.

However... Is Loui worthy of a spot on our team? Yes! Most definitely! We've got no one like him, a really good two-way player who can do most of everything. It doesn't matter what he earns, cause he's still on the team and Green would be foolish to make him sit due to his pay check. Greener shouldn't care about that at all and only play the best players available... and right now Loui is one of the best 12 forwards, so he should play.

Benning should be ashamed and try to find a solution, but Greener should not make Loui pay for Bennings mistake.

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it all depends on how you define "success" in hockey. Green clearly values what he's doing without the puck, far more than many do on CDC I've noticed. Loui had a great game against Boston, and it showed up on the score sheet with only 1 Boston goal, but for some reason thats not considered successful by a lot on here. 

I do agree that offensively its hard not to see his production as disappointing, even with him being statistically as good as any partner the Sedin's had, people rightfully expected more. 

But to compare him to Gagner is a stretch. If Gagner brought 1/2 the defensive awareness Loui did he wouldn't have been given to an AHL team. 

Preventing goals will always be undervalued by fans, with the exception of goalies of course -- you can see clearly when a goalie makes a difference.  I agree with you completely on this.   It's a shame that money has become so important in hockey, without its presence I think teams would look different and fans would feel different.  If you are right about Eriksson, he would rate in the top 6 or 7 on the team and be much more respected by the fans.

Give you an idea of the difference that money makes.  The first NHL hockey player I ever met was Terry Harper with the Canadians.  I was a 9-year old kid when I met him -- he lived next to my Uncle in Montreal, Harper had an ordinary apartment.  Might have owned it, not sure, but it was an ordinary area in Montreal (NDG I think.)

7 minutes ago, gameburn said:

Preventing goals will always be undervalued by fans, with the exception of goalies of course -- you can see clearly when a goalie makes a difference.  I agree with you completely on this.   It's a shame that money has become so important in hockey, without its presence I think teams would look different and fans would feel different.  If you are right about Eriksson, he would rate in the top 6 or 7 on the team and be much more respected by the fans.

Give you an idea of the difference that money makes.  The first NHL hockey player I ever met was Terry Harper with the Canadians.  I was a 9-year old kid when I met him -- he lived next to my Uncle in Montreal, Harper had an ordinary apartment.  Might have owned it, not sure, but it was an ordinary area in Montreal (NDG I think.)

oh its a different era for sure that way. Although Ben Hutton does live in my building :P not sure if that counts. 

Loui serves as a cautionary tale of the risk/reward with the pursuit of pricey UFA's. The very idea represents a short cut through the nasty patch of the dense jungle, rebuilding yrs. Lots of GM's gambled this way, never getting out the other side.

But with the twins gone(14 mill dropped) one could argue the risk was no big deal. We have so many ELC's filtering through the next few seasons. At least Loui appears a dedicated pro, that can help the youth(especially EU kids) learn the ropes.

Boston got burned worse with LE. Only cost us cap space, with plenty more to spare. They spent Seguin on him. Some consolation there.

Archived