The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Oct. 18, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

The fact that you think he’s a 4th in any context is what I find laughable. He’s a bottom pairing d that should be getting bottom pairing minutes regardless of the quality of the team he plays on. 

He is not able to make good reads on the defensive side  and that by itself is why he’d be the most incompatible partner for a smart, dynamic, and high risk player like Hughes.

Judging by a lot of your comments around this forum I’m not going to put a whole lot of stock into your opinions. Cheers for the chuckles though. 

2 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

It’s comments like these that always make me laugh. There’s not a single team in the entire NHL that has top line quality players in their bottom pairing. Gudbranson is a 5-6 on a great team. He’s the 4th with a weak team. 

If he’s staying deep, it allows coverage for Hughes to rush. It makes sense. 

Fwiw John Klingberg was adamant that pairing him with a defensive D would limit him.  He was calling it so old school to think that way.  He was explaining that he by far prefers to play with someone that can skate and make plays with him because it allows them to keep possession of the puck which is the best form of defence.  

Nashville actually moved Weber because he limited Josi's ability to rush.  In the playoffs they noticed that teams were just keying in on Josi because they knew that Weber doesn't carry the puck.  It was too easy for teams to force the puck back into their own zone and they ended up spending more time defending than attacking.  

Subban gives them another carry in option and they can play more of a possession game. They made the calculation that it was better to sacrifice some defence to play more in the o-zone re to win it's about goal differential.  It ended up increasing their offence but also improving their defence as they don't spend as much time defending. Rinne is also a number 1 goalie but admitted that it took some adjustment to play without Weber in front of him.

23 minutes ago, mll said:

Fwiw John Klingberg was adamant that pairing him with a defensive D would limit him.  He was calling it so old school to think that way.  He was explaining that he by far prefers to play with someone that can skate and make plays with him because it allows them to keep possession of the puck which is the best form of defence.  

Nashville actually moved Weber because he limited Josi's ability to rush.  In the playoffs they noticed that teams were just keying in on Josi because they knew that Weber doesn't carry the puck.  It was too easy for teams to force the puck back into their own zone and they ended up spending more time defending than attacking.  

Subban gives them another carry in option and they can play more of a possession game. They made the calculation that it was better to sacrifice some defence to play more in the o-zone re to win it's about goal differential.  It ended up increasing their offence but also improving their defence as they don't spend as much time defending. Rinne is also a number 1 goalie but admitted that it took some adjustment to play without Weber in front of him.

so f&**(in right

2 hours ago, GreyHatnDart said:

Judging by a lot of your comments around this forum I’m not going to put a whole lot of stock into your opinions. Cheers for the chuckles though. 

Gudbranson has been decent offensively but still slow af in his own zone... 5th D at best

The players were tired at the end of long road trip. However, they were still very good in the first 10 minutes.

Nilsson was continuously solid.

The penalty of 2-1 score is questionable.

Schaller, Motte  and Bo were good.

Gaudette need more playing time for practice.

Boeser need good line mates to create space for him to shoot. If EP could back in Saturday, might be put them in the same line with Goldy.

It looks Beagle is our best PK, and EP is our best PP now.

Mr. Green, please play some players who have not used in the road trip too much, i.e. Beige, Leipsic.

For Tryamkin, I think he is good, at least, in the 3rd pair.

6 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Btw..this might be a bit off topic..but I wonder if it's possible to arrange Bettman visiting the Saudi embassy in Istanbul, to promote "growin the game"?

@spook007 You're out near them parts. Can you pull some strings?

Consider it done, M..... 

13 hours ago, aGENT said:

While I will agree that some of the fan base do certainly overrate him as some sort of second coming... but he's shown he can certainly play at a bottom 4 level and certainly has higher upside than that (whether that actually gets realized is yet TBD).

Would love tyo see something like this next year:

Edler, Hughes

Juolevi, Gudbranson

Tryamkin, Stecher

*Tanev moved for futures

Maybe, but I'm for keeping Tanev over Edler.  I've seen too many trips to the penalty box for Edler because he lost position and had to hook or grab.  Tanev is younger and faster.  Edler has had a good career but I'd prefer to keep Tanev.

13 hours ago, mll said:

Interesting. Well I guess I’m wrong in the idea that 2 opposite types of players wouldn’t work well together. Thanks for the quotes. 

On 10/20/2018 at 3:16 AM, Bertuzzi44ever said:

See....this is the kind of crap I’m talking about. We didn’t play that bad and fans our turning it off just because we look like we may lose. We are supposed to lose! Especially with no pettersen!

this is why I made that thread about not getting too carried away with our start.

It wasnt an entertaining game.. we played horribly compared to the last several games. We had nothing left in the third and I turned it off when we got down 3-1

On 2018-10-19 at 4:03 PM, CaptainLinden16 said:

You are overeating to an idea. "loosing credibility" by trying something is a ridiculous comment.  Schaller made some nice passes and protects the puck well.  The Boeser line is about getting the puck to Boeser in scoring areas.  That's it....I am not saying by any means that Schaller is a 100% going to be a 2nd line player or that he is better offensively than Goldobin.  Kevin Stevens scored 50 goals with Mario Lemiuex.  He wasn't a very talented hockey player.  Chemistry and the right fit is as or more important than talent sometimes.  Goldobin plays the game too fast for Boeser.  Boeser is a half court kind of guy.  Having a player who can get the puck to him in tight situations versus off the rush is a better fit in my opinion. 

So green promotes Goldy to the top line. Cheech quotes green complimenting Goldy during the break and all Goldy does tonight is set up Boeser and have a great game.......

still care to assess the lineup?

• -Vintage Canuck- changed the title to [PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Winnipeg Jets | Oct. 18, 2018

Archived