The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wish Goldy would simplify his game

*Buzzsaw*

Everyone can see how talented Goldobin is.  There is no doubt when he has the puck, he can dangle, and he can skate.  And he can make some nice passing plays.

He gets a ton of opportunities to score because he puts himself in the right position.

Unfortunately that is where the problem arrives...  he doesn't cash in on those opportunities because he tends to overthink and lose focus on the puck.

I don't know how many times I have seen him fumble receiving a pass because he took his eye off the puck and was looking too far ahead to what he could do 10 seconds ahead.

Same goes with his shot... he whiffs way too often because he is not focusing on the puck and is instead looking around and deciding whether he is actually going to shoot or pass or what.

Same goes with his decision making re. whether to shoot or whether to make one more dangle or make one more nifty little pass...  in a lot of instances he hangs onto the puck too long and ends up without a shot and without a successful pass.  When he does this in the defensive zone, it can provide a scoring opportunity for the other side.

Playing with Pettersson was good for him because EP40 naturally became the playmaker on the line and the decisions were made for Goldobin... he was a shooter.  But when Goldy plays with other linemates, he tries to do everything and most of the time does nothing.

Some players have the ability to always know exactly where the puck and other players are even when it is not on their stick... Pettersson seems to have that ability.  Goldobin doesn't.  And trying to focus on three different things at the same time means he loses his opportunities.

Coach should sit him down and tell Goldy he needs to take a 'Shoot First' mentality.  Just focus on the puck and getting it off his stick and at the net as soon as possible.  And same with passing... take the first opportunity and focus on the puck.

I am not sure he will be a success with this team until he learns to simplify his game.

Green called Goldobin out yesterday, praising his game.

To quote from a Province article from the refreshingly unbiased Patrick Johnston:

I like Goldy’s game,” Green said. “I thought he was one of our better players tonight. He’s being harder. He’s being harder on the puck. He’s winning more puck battles than he has in the past. He’s a good example for some of our other guys.”

4 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green called Goldobin out yesterday, praising his game.

To quote from a Province article from the refreshingly unbiased Patrick Johnston:

I like Goldy’s game,” Green said. “I thought he was one of our better players tonight. He’s being harder. He’s being harder on the puck. He’s winning more puck battles than he has in the past. He’s a good example for some of our other guys.”

He is playing better than last year... there is no doubt about that.

But he could be doing a lot better if he simplified his play and focused on shooting and making simpler plays.

2 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

But he could be doing a lot better if he simplified his play and focused on shooting and making simpler plays.

With EP out, I think Goldy is trying to do to much. Give it time, I think he'll settle down.

We saw the same with Horvat to start.

28 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Playing with Pettersson was good for him because EP40 naturally became the playmaker on the line and the decisions were made for Goldobin... he was a shooter.  But when Goldy plays with other linemates, he tries to do everything and most of the time does nothing.

Some players have the ability to always know exactly where the puck and other players are even when it is not on their stick... Pettersson seems to have that ability.  Goldobin doesn't.  And trying to focus on three different things at the same time means he loses his opportunities.

Coach should sit him down and tell Goldy he needs to take a 'Shoot First' mentality.  Just focus on the puck and getting it off his stick and at the net as soon as possible.  And same with passing... take the first opportunity and focus on the puck.

I am not sure he will be a success with this team until he learns to simplify his game.

That is a great point to make. He can tend to over think things. I've been pleasantly surprised by his play this year. But when Pettersson comes back it will be nice to have him go back to being the "trigger" man for Petey. Part of me wonders (and I may get flamed for this lol) but with how much chemistry Boucher showed with Goldy last year on the farm I would be tempted when injuries start to pile up, to give one last chance to Boucher in an offensive role along side Petey and Goldy. If you watched any of the Comets games last year you can see Goldy and Boucher had some VERY nice chemistry. And the way Boucher is tearing up the AHL this season it could be a realistic outcome if Green has the stomach for it. 

17 minutes ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Have faith in Green to get him there. I see Goldobin being a lot more assertive and physical than he was last season. He's arriving as a player this year.

He'll figure out how to play with Gaudette before too long. I don't think Green needs to tell him anything.

Goldy has really turned the corner this year. He keeps putting the effort in along the boards and back checking which is a huge improvement over last season.

He and Gaudette will settle in soon. I'm sure of it

YES  i agree..keep his game simple and you that dazzle when needed to surprise other teams and defence...goldy should use his skill by driving down the middle to draw more penalties and he should beef up so there is a bit more push back.....they all need to even brock ....foe elias he is only 19 and now because of that hit i think he too can draw more penalties...they have tp be smarter having targets on their back but any star player has to have some push back or you wont succeed....then when the push back escalates you get giddy or rouse involved...keep it simple yet drive to the net with bit of an edge....i think it will open up lanes.

I have noticed he loses control of the puck at times like you mention. I like the idea he is trying to process the play ahead of the time tho. That is typically the part many players are missing.

As he grows this season I think we will see him refine his puck handling and find the opportune times to strike. It really just is a feeling out process. I am glad he is trying new things and exploring how he can get new angles on NHL defenders.

His growth to me is the most promising out of our NHL bunch this season. Hutton and Pouliot look better no doubt but I'm glad Goldie is testing the boundaries of what he can do currently at the NHL level.

Shout out also to Troy Stecher. He really has been pushing/testing his skating on the Blueline. He has really been trying to introduce more creative skating plays to escape problems. Some great rushes too. It almost feels like he was studying Quinn Hughes skating style over the summer lol.

Stecher looked fantastic in the frozen 4. It seems some of his elements of skating dominance in the NCAA are starting to show their head at the NHL level. Props to those two for really making noticable improvements in their games.

Goldie even started roughing up a jets player last night in the first period. The guy was beside Nilsson by the side of the net whacking and Goldie cleared him out.

Very impressive improvement in Goldie's game defensively and physically. He is becoming a good 2 way player the scoring wil come from that strong foundation.

3 minutes ago, Rush17 said:

Shout out also to Troy Stecher. He really has been pushing/testing his skating on the Blueline. He has really been trying to introduce more creative skating plays to escape problems. Some great rushes too. It almost feels like he was studying Quinn Hughes skating style over the summer lol.

Maybe Stecher and Eriksson should swap places.  Eriksson's only praise is of his defensive game. while Stecher looks like one of our best 'forwards' some games.

I think he is being creative and in doing so he is making mistakes. He is also learning from these mistakes.

I wouldn't want to put a leash on a young player with so much potential, let him have fun...also, let him make mistakes. He just turned 23.

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it'll come with a bit more maturity. right now he's working his ass off so lets not get in the way of that. He'll be back with EP in no time. 

That Goldy was "a good example for other guys" is probably the LAST thing any of us ever expected to hear.  But last night might have been his best game as a Canuck.  Why?  Because he was noticeable every shift, not just floating around and doing a dangle once or twice a game.  He was running guys down on the back check, going after pucks, and generally getting in on the play constantly.  Seems like the Professor and Green have finally gotten through to him, and what a difference.

And wow -- what a difference for this franchise should Goldobin and Dahlen turn into middle or even top-6 players, considering they only cost us two players who were then out of the NHL but a year later.

1 hour ago, diesel_3 said:

I think he is being creative and in doing so he is making mistakes. He is also learning from these mistakes.

I wouldn't want to put a leash on a young player with so much potential, let him have fun...also, let him make mistakes. He just turned 23.

I was just about to say this!   

We finally have a new young creative player who has the balls to try to actually make plays, and he wants to stop that?  

Thats crazy talk. 

Let the kid go nuts, figure out what he can and can’t do, and enjoy the ride!  

We arent planning on winning.  

This is a total development year. 

The Golden Goblin has been great so far this year.  I was really hoping for the kid, probably because he looks like me when I was that age, and glad to see he is getting better.  I admit I was a little concern seeing a couple of vids of him enjoying Moscow and dabbing(or w/e you kids call that) over the offseason but he did put in the work to get better and it's showing on the ice.   The last thing he needs is a leash right now.

Archived