The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Wish Goldy would simplify his game

*Buzzsaw*

The Canucks need some fun in the line-up and Goldobin has made positive steps in his game which deserve to be rewarded.  I don't think Green has a problem with guys making mistakes so long as he can see that they're learning from them and working hard to be on the right side of the puck at all times.  That has been the most impressive thing about EP. 

As awesome as EP has been, there are still times when he over handles the puck and gives it away but he is always hustling to get the puck back or to least get back into a good defensive position.  It looks like this has really rubbed off on Goldobin and its nice to see.

I think Green and fans can live with mistakes if the players, at minimum, show that they are trying to do the right things on the ice and really care about getting better.

All this said, I can't wait for EP to get back into the line-up.

This is because the kid is young still and isn't a vet yet in the NHL and isn't a top 10 pick who has all those skills right away, he's trying and obviously gripping the stick to tight to try and score because his eyes just lit up with the opportunity he got because he seems to be on the bubble on this team all the time and is trying to score to show he belongs here. Have patience with the kid, it's a learning curve, fans really have no patience for young players it seems here, if you're not scoring or producing like EP or like Brock last year, you're not good enough for this team and we're not happy, this is a rebuild fans need to start having more patience for these young skilled players coming into the system, this isn't a playoff contending team yet.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Green called Goldobin out yesterday, praising his game.

To quote from a Province article from the refreshingly unbiased Patrick Johnston:

I like Goldy’s game,” Green said. “I thought he was one of our better players tonight. He’s being harder. He’s being harder on the puck. He’s winning more puck battles than he has in the past. He’s a good example for some of our other guys.”

This is exactly what I was hoping he’d do this year!  Confidence could be a factor with Goldobin too, he’s used to producing at all other levels at a high rate, and things just haven’t gone his way so far despite some opportunity...this year he has it, and had something with EP early on that I can’t wait to see more of.  To be honest I wasn’t sure if he’d be on a short lease or if the team was ready to give up on him, he’s earning the right to be in the top six so far, and if he breaks out we are all in for a treat...we need another solid winger in the top six, and it’s possible we have it already.  I do get what the OP is getting at, part of that could be used to doing it all alone when he’s paired with fringe guys at the lower level, and sometimes in the past up in the NHL too.  I agree that he’s got to shoot more as hes sneaky good at getting into a scoring position...hope things keep falling in place for him and the chemistry between Pettersson continues on an upward trajectory, and those extra shots open the floodgates.

edit:  for the first time in years I broke down and bought players in fantasy hockey...both Goldobin and Pettersson, bought low on Goldobin and mid-range on Pettersson, they could make the difference and I believe they will.

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

This is exactly what I was hoping he’d do this year!  Confidence could be a factor with Goldobin too, he’s used to producing at all other levels at a high rate, and things just haven’t gone his way so far despite some opportunity...this year he has it, and had something with EP early on that I can’t wait to see more of.  To be honest I wasn’t sure if he’d be on a short lease or if the team was ready to give up on him, he’s earning the right to be in the top six so far, and if he breaks out we are all in for a treat...we need another solid winger in the top six, and it’s possible we have it already.  I do get what the OP is getting at, part of that could be used to doing it all alone when he’s paired with fringe guys at the lower level, and sometimes in the past up in the NHL too.  I agree that he’s got to shoot more as hes sneaky good at getting into a scoring position...hope things keep falling in place for him and the chemistry between Pettersson continues on an upward trajectory, and those extra shots open the floodgates.

edit:  for the first time in years I broke down and bought players in fantasy hockey...both Goldobin and Pettersson, bought low on Goldobin and mid-range on Pettersson, they could make the difference and I believe they will.

Have to ask because I've been looking for years for a free salary cap fantasy hockey. I used to play on SportingNews when they had it they would give you $30M to start and buy players to fill all positions and 1 extra player, so 7 players in total and I would drop and buy all the time to make more money I got up to $50M one year was able to add all the top players, but my point is I can't seem to find a free one like that setup anymore, curious if you have or are in one or know of one like what I used to play....

27 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

This is because the kid is young still and isn't a vet yet in the NHL and isn't a top 10 pick who has all those skills right away, he's trying and obviously gripping the stick to tight to try and score because his eyes just lit up with the opportunity he got because he seems to be on the bubble on this team all the time and is trying to score to to show he belongs here. Have patience with the kid, it's a learning curve, fans really have no patience for young players it seems here, if you're not scoring or producing like EP or like Brock last year, you're not good enough for this team and we're not happy, this is a rebuild fans need to start having more patience for these young skilled players coming into the system, this isn't a playoff contending team yet.

Great points.  Not a lot of rookies and sophomores break out, that happens stastically the most on their fourth year (three seasons under their belts) and means different things for different players.  Some of it is opportunity (like Couterier last year centering Gerouix on the first line after years of reliability on the third around 40 points) sometimes its  natural ability (Point last year putting himself close to Malkin and Backstrom as the best second line centers in the league), but most of the time it’s just natural progression.   For Goldobin it looks like it’s going to be a bit of both getting the sweet assignment with EP, and natural progression that could net him over 40 points this year without much 1st unit PP time (unless injuries occur), which 5 x 5 puts him in very good company.  

Unless your McDavid, who’s 80ish 5x5 pts makes a mockery of the rest of the league...if he had WSH pp, he’d get  140 points, good thing they don’t.

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Have to ask because I've been looking for years for a free salary cap fantasy hockey. I used to play on SportingNews when they had it they would give you $30M to start and buy players to fill all positions and 1 extra player, so 7 players in total and I would drop and buy all the time to make more money I got up to $50M one year was able to add all the top players, but my point is I can't seem to find a free one like that setup anymore, curious if you have or are in one or know of one like what I used to play....

I’ve been in one for years, 32 million cap, 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, 2 goalies...and every players has a value, McDavid was 3.00, EP 1.5 and Goldobin 1...still risky given you try to get about 40 points for every 1.00 spent (that’s how my brother and I do it anyways and if it works out your in the money which goes to 1-5 best teams).  The pool used to have around 70 people and now is around 50 so message me if you want to join next year as we could use a little new blood..loads of fun very simple scoring system

edit: it’s not free, but it’s the best $50 bucks I spend each year given the time I put into it, and you get more engaged/invested with the rest of the teams and players which is good too

6 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Great points.  Not a lot of rookies and sophomores break out, that happens stastically the most on their fourth year (three seasons under their belts) and means different things for different players.  Some of it is opportunity (like Couterier last year centering Gerouix on the first line after years of reliability on the third around 40 points) sometimes its  natural ability (Point last year putting himself close to Malkin and Backstrom as the best second line centers in the league), but most of the time it’s just natural progression.   For Goldobin it looks like it’s going to be a bit of both getting the sweet assignment with EP, and natural progression that could net him over 40 points this year without much 1st unit PP time (unless injuries occur), which 5 x 5 puts him in very good company.  

Unless your McDavid, who’s 80ish 5x5 pts makes a mockery of the rest of the league...if he had WSH pp, he’d get  140 points, good thing they don’t.

Yeah he will be a good strong player imo for this organization as long as they have the patience with him and don't give up on him so soon because of minor mistakes, and Green is obviously seeing his potential and work ethic and is happy with it, we as fans need to accept he will make minor mistakes he's young, and let him learn from them. He definitely has the ability to be a top scorer one day in the NHL I think, just give him sometime to develop and learn, but you know what you're talking about!

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I’ve been in one for years, 32 million cap, 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, 2 goalies...and every players has a value, McDavid was 3.00, EP 1.5 and Goldobin 1...still risky given you try to get about 40 points for every 1.00 spent (that’s how my brother and I do it anyways and if it works out your in the money which goes to 1-5 best teams).  The pool used to have around 70 people and now is around 50 so message me if you want to join next year as we could use a little new blood..loads of fun very simple scoring system

edit: it’s not free, but it’s the best $50 bucks I spend each year given the time I put into it, and you get more engaged/invested with the rest of the teams and players which is good too

Hey thanks for the reply! Like I said I can't find free good ones anymore :lol:. I don't know if I'd like that many players and players being valued that low tbh, cause the one I used to play the players were priced at their actual salary back then, so if you wanted to buy Ovechkin to start he was like 7M to buy, and if he had a good starting week and had a busy schedule the next week people would buy him and he would go all the way up to $9-10M now I would sell him once he did that and bam I just made $2-3M off him lol.

6 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Yeah he will be a good strong player imo for this organization as long as they have the patience with him and don't give up on him so soon because of minor mistakes, and Green is obviously seeing his potential and work ethic and is happy with it, we as fans need to accept he will make minor mistakes he's young, and let him learn from them. He definitely has the ability to be a top scorer one day in the NHL I think, just give him sometime to develop and learn, but you know what you're talking about!

As fans we definitely need to get use to this (as you mentioned not very many rookies do what Boeser did last year), right now there is a long list of players developing in Utica in preparation for their chance.  And we have another guy in JV that could take another step, or at the very least refine some things and settle into a modest career as a third liner which isn’t the end of the world.  Gaudette, OJ, Hughes, Dahlen, Demko and maybe Lind and or Jonah G and possibly a few others will also go through it.  Great time to be a fan!

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

As fans we definitely need to get use to this (as you mentioned not very many rookies do what Boeser did last year), right now there is a long list of players developing in Utica in preparation for their chance.  And we have another guy in JV that could take another step, or at the very least refine some things and settle into a modest career as a third liner which isn’t the end of the world.  Gaudette, OJ, Hughes, Dahlen, Demko and maybe Lind and or Jonah G and possibly a few others will also go through it.  Great time to be a fan!

Exactly, we see the skill and talent in them, it's just a matter of time to let them learn the little things to develop into better players, patience. As for JV I have had high hopes for the kid, I see the skill and talent he has and the strength he has is what separates him from a lot of other players, it's not common to see a kid that strong at that age when he comes into the NHL, they do have something special with him, but again it's all about patience. I'll admit patience can only last so long, but luckily this team isn't a playoff contending team yet and he still has some time to prove himself. I really hope he finds that next level in him as he's maturing, he has all the skills to be a strong power forward threat, just hope it all starts clicking eventually, but I won't give up on him unless 2-3 years down the road when this team should start being considered a playoff more team or I'm hoping that's the plan, but if he can't figure it out by then, then I may have to start changing my view on JV, hopefully I don't and he proves everyone wrong.

3 hours ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

He is playing better than last year... there is no doubt about that.

But he could be doing a lot better if he simplified his play and focused on shooting and making simpler plays.

With EP out, Goldy is by far our best playmaker. He will always be a pass-first guy, which is why he and EP are a great combo, and the reason he sees time with Bo and Brock, as neither of them, are great passers. It's funny how some games Baer is a great playmaker and others he's not. Goldy did whiff on a couple of stretch passes, but I think Winnipeg got in his head early on when they played their heavy game and laid the body, and he was looking for the mid-ice hit. I'm glad he's protecting himself. As he gains confidence at this level and continues to add size and strength, look for his skills to blossom even more. I think he could be a 30-40-70 guy in the next couple of years if he stays healthy and a top six player. Ultimately, a steal of a deadline deal for JB.

57 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

Exactly, we see the skill and talent in them, it's just a matter of time to let them learn the little things to develop into better players, patience. As for JV I have had high hopes for the kid, I see the skill and talent he has and the strength he has is what separates him from a lot of other players, it's not common to see a kid that strong at that age when he comes into the NHL, they do have something special with him, but again it's all about patience. I'll admit patience can only last so long, but luckily this team isn't a playoff contending team yet and he still has some time to prove himself. I really hope he finds that next level in him as he's maturing, he has all the skills to be a strong power forward threat, just hope it all starts clicking eventually, but I won't give up on him unless 2-3 years down the road when this team should start being considered a playoff more team or I'm hoping that's the plan, but if he can't figure it out by then, then I may have to start changing my view on JV, hopefully I don't and he proves everyone wrong.

One of the few guys that can skate with McDavid...and can hit well too (which is hope he decides to do more often, WD kind of reigned him in and he hasn’t shaken that off yet ).  All the tools, the package just needs more time.   At the very least he will make a good reliable Torres like third liner best case he figures it all out and he’s top six material..either way it’s ok.

Eh? I have no issues with Goldie.

JV on the other hand is a lost cause in the vein of Pyatt and Steve Bernier. Not sure what the homer fans are seeing but the dudes best AHL season was 10 goals or less and the guy can’t even receive a pass skating full speed, even when it’s a perfect Henrik or EP 40 pass.  Dude doesn’t even know when a pass is coming to him. His iq is too low, not even close to Torres let alone Betuzzi and Neely.

6 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Eh? I have no issues with Goldie.

JV on the other hand is a lost cause in the vein of Pyatt and Steve Bernier. Not sure what the homer fans are seeing but the dudes best AHL season was 10 goals or less and the guy can’t even receive a pass skating full speed, even when it’s a perfect Henrik or EP 40 pass.  Dude doesn’t even know when a pass is coming to him. His iq is too low, not even close to Torres let alone Betuzzi and Neely.

Maybe, maybe not.  Bertuzzi averaged 10.25 goals his first five seasons including a strong 38 point rookie year, year six he broke out and scored 25 goals and 50.  The point is you have to give these guys time, every year somebody comes out of the blue and has a big jump in their production, and sometimes those guys are projects that have been given up on and tagged onto a trade.  JV is frustrating at times I will give you that, but his career is far from set in stone yet.

I watched him closely in Utica, my assessment:

Pros:

- Phenomenal passer

- Stickhandling

- Creativity

- Dangerous on PP

Cons:

- Zero compete

- Lazy/lost defensively 

- Got pushed around a lot 

- Not fast for his archetype (not a bad skater, but didn’t stand out for speed or power )

- Not much of a shooter, always looking to pass does not threaten with his shot 

- Wasn’t dangerous or effective 5 on 5

Overall I was disappointed seeing a walk on like Tanner Macmaster outplay Goldobin in the playoffs. If Goldy can really get his head in the game and bring top notch work ethic I think he could be another Sven Baerschi but not holding my breath.

That said I do think he could put rack up points and continue to complement Pettersson’s game. 

When you watch Motte play it looks like his life is on the line. If Goldy can play like that he will be good. 

I love Goldobin's game.

He is hounding the puck.  He is backchecking.  He is forechecking.  He is essentially engaged in a complete game. He's doing precisely the things he needed to do to complement his highly skilled game.  I can live with the odd fanned shot (happens to everyone). 

Really couldn't be happier with his progress - he's taken huge strides - more than expected - since coming to Vancouver.  I think he deserves a lot of positive recognition.

Archived