The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Golden Knights re-sign Alex Tuch

Wild were in such a tough spot when it came to expansion. But they lost both Haula and Tuch.

If I remember correctly, it was so Vegas wouldn’t take Dumba or Brodin. But I’m getting old, so I could be misremembering (likely).

Vegas is trying to get their own version of the Josi and Arvidsson deals - locking up a guy for more than he's currently proven, but hoping he'll continue to trend higher.

Tuch has a lot of potential, so it's at least reasonable. But if he continues to have injury trouble, it could get rough.

42 minutes ago, Monty said:

Wild were in such a tough spot when it came to expansion. But they lost both Haula and Tuch.

If I remember correctly, it was so Vegas wouldn’t take Dumba or Brodin. But I’m getting old, so I could be misremembering (likely).

My memory kind of says the same thing. Officially, Tuch was traded to Vegas for the following and I think Haula was their expansion pick.

Las Vegas Knights acquire Date Minnesota Wild acquire
Las_Vegas_Knights.gif Alex Tuch
June 21, 2017
2017 or 2018 conditional 3rd round pick

2 hours ago, Monty said:

I think I remember someone saying it was to protect Coyle or even all three. They definitely had it rough with the expansion draft.

3 hours ago, rekker said:

Wow. One decent year with 37 points gets you guaranteed 4.75 money for seven years? Not sure on that. No wonder Nylander wont settle for 7 years a 6 million per. 

No doubt, it's pretty nuts. Vegas must be really confident about him.

And I hope Nylander shoots for the moon, the more the Leafs have to pay him the better.

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I think I remember someone saying it was to protect Coyle or even all three. They definitely had it rough with the expansion draft.

It was to protect their Ds.  Dumba and Scandella were left exposed.

While I agree it's a bit too early to give him a long term deal IMO, I can see why they would have considered it. How much would we have given Virtanen if he had put up 37 points last year? I would say many would've been okay with about a 3 million x2 bridge deal for example, so a bridge for Tuch might've been in that 3-3.5 range anyway. Vegas is simply banking that not only will Tuch be able to be consistent, but even take it to another level and what happens if Tuch becomes a 50-60 point guy in the next couple of years, what kind of contract is he going to be looking at? Long term at around 5.5-6 or more depending on the market? Keep in mind that he's 6'4 220+lbs and plays a relatively fast and heavy game as well, which is something we are so dearly missing in our top 6. Also the contract has no clauses in it until the last 3 seasons where he submits a 5 team no trade list, so it's a very movable contract unless he suddenly just drops to a 15 point 4th line plug which I just don't see happening.

Archived