The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Let's Deal Markstrom!

I wonder if our GT'ing might really pay off? Heard BaldyAuldy mentioning on 650, the effect Ian Clark might be having on Nilsson's technique(appears Cloutier was ROTFL, as a gt coach). He suggested working with Clark(while JM was getting the early season starts), has really helped him. Now Markstrom has prob been smoothing out wrinkles with Clark, last wk or so.

So let's just imagine(hungry fandom-fantasy):

- Nilsson's emergence is proven sustainable

- Markstrom shows rapid improvement, under Clark's direction

- Demko gets over his injury, & quickly gets rolling in the AHL

- Other two(AHL guys) hold up, & look capable to take care of this season, down there.

In this ideal scenario, say we have THREE excellent, affordable goaltenders trending upwards(say near mid-season, early Jan). What would y'all like to see? Sign Nilsson? Trade one of these guys?

I see a lot of teams with mediocre 'tending this season. Also goaltender injuries seem more frequent. Look what this very problem did to so many teams last season..EG:(Cal, Philly, Canes, Mtl & Florida). GM's have this very clear in the memory bank. Already we've seen talents like Quick, Lu & Crawford on/off IR, & lots of teams giving up 6 or 7-spots in one game.

It's ironic when considering, didn't the media rank us ****ing 31st in this dept? Absolute joke! I'm calling it now, as one of our strengths. Even with an excess that we might turn into another nice trade. Just need a little bidding war amongst a few teams struggling simultaneously at the same key position. There's potential, imho...

Okay..I'll stick my neck out & predict we DO deal a 'tender by Feb, for a surprisingly nice return. Perhaps paired with a middlish D-man(MDZ, Poul or Hutt), to some PO-positioned outfit, hit with some untimely injuries.

Cos' heck..is a lil' Oct optimistic-fantasizing gonna hurt anyone?! I hope not.

8 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm no goalie expert but imo Markstrom has got to be one of the worst in the league.

His career stats prove how bad he is and he just looks sloppy as hell in the net.  Nilsson is on a nice little run, but it's not like he is single handedly putting us at the top of any standings.  They both have minimal value on the market and I don't think much will change unless Nilsson goes on a spectcular run.  Demko needs to simmer longer

Totally yes on the first and second bolded.

I'm not sure Demko needs to simmer any longer. 

He did an acceptable job in his call up games last year and playing / practicing against NHLers seems like a good option at this point. He's proven he can be a very good starter in the AHL. I want him to steal Marky's job ASAP.

If Nilly continues to play as he has, he actually has value to any team with an injured keeper, unless they don't want to win... 

31 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

I'm no goalie expert but imo Markstrom has got to be one of the worst in the league. His career stats prove how bad he is and he just looks sloppy as hell in the net.  Nilsson is on a nice little run, but it's not like he is single handedly putting us at the top of any standings.  They both have minimal value on the market and I don't think much will change unless Nilsson goes on a spectcular run.  Demko needs to simmer longer

Remember when Markstrom was supposedly the best goalie prospect not playing in the NHL?

It's troubling that he's already 28 and "still developing".  Not saying techniques can't be refined (eg. Luongo), but for a big guy he doesn't play bigger than the average goalie.  

From a statistical standpoint both Markstrom and Nilsson appear as bargain-basement goalies. They're both approaching 29 years old and neither has had even 1 average or better season. Granted, neither of them has ever played for a good team but even so, they're both wildly inconsistent. I dont see another team knocking on our door for one of these guys unless they're looking at a backup for dirt cheap.

I'm not a fan of either goalies the Canucks have right now. I'm more holding my breath with Demko and wish the Canucks would just run with him sink or swim. I don't care if Demko lets in more goals than either of the current goalies at least he is growing with the core of the group. Markstrom and Nilsson are just temporary bandaids in my opinion and they will disappear in Canucks history just like a Hirsch, a Gamble or an Irbe.  Demko can be much more.

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Marky needs to settle down. Hopefully Clarke tied a 4ft chain to him and the crossbar.

When I watch games at home I'm constantly screaming at Marky to get back in his crease. The man just loves to go adventuring, it gives me anxiety.

6 minutes ago, Cramarossa said:

When I watch games at home I'm constantly screaming at Marky to get back in his crease. The man just loves to go adventuring, it gives me anxiety.

You and me both!

If nets were twice their size, he could be the best goalie in the league.

We were #31 in the NHL in the goalie department, we probably still are. But I like how you can twist that fact and elaborate it into something totally different than reality based on a few games and an imaginery scenario where a hypothetical goalie coach suddenly improves Markstorm skill of play markedly. 

Both Marky and Nilsson show hot in some games and down in some games. I expect Green will play Nilsson this few games, due to he is recently hot. After he becomes downward sometime, Marky will have opportunity to show his ability.

Demko is not ready right now. I expect that he will be much better the end of this season or next season.

One of Marky / Nilsson will be traded before the deadline of this season if any return.

• -SN- changed the title to [Discussion] Let's Go Markstrom!!!

Archived