The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A bag full of gems - the futures so bright, shades don't cut it anymore

Battlemonger

So stoked when I think about this: the young guns are all so close in age and they will be playing together either in Vancouver or Utica for the next several years. Looking so forward to the Nucks lineup in 3 years. At 29 years old, Baertschi and Gudbranson will be the grey-beards! :lol:

Baertschi -  26 years old                           Dahlen - 22

Boeser - 21                                               Gadjovich - 21

Gaudette - 20                                            Lind - 21

Goldobin - 23                                            Palmu - 21

Granlund - 25                                            Stecher - 24

Horvat - 23                                                Gudbranson - 26

Leipsic - 24                                                Hughes - 19

Motte - 23                                                  Juolevi - 20

Pettersson - 20                                          Tryamkin - 23

Virtanen - 22                                              Woo - 18

MacEwen - 22                                            Demko - 23

Jasek - 21                                                  DiPietro - 20                                  

Just now, smokes said:

The question is how many will still be here in three years. Trades happen.

True. But with this potential, I can't see many trades happening. Not involving the best of the young guns anyways. I really think the nucks are going to invest in these players and try to build a champion from within. I would too, considering the levels of their prospects and current young canucks on the team.

Still will need more higher skilled players, the start of a season playing vs backup goalies isn't the cup final or even one playoff game with whistles in the pockets.

Size still matters, a good team with an average height and weight over 6'2" and 205 lbs will probably defeat a team under 6' and 190 lbs in a seven game series or several series.

At least one more forward hopefully Lafrenière and a dman, maybe through a trade. Groot comes back but he is not enough. Hughes could help alot but he has to play a professional game yet.

Sure hope someone in management starts thinking about future contracts  4 years from now.

3 minutes ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Still will need more higher skilled players, the start of a season playing vs backup goalies isn't the cup final or even one playoff game with whistles in the pockets.

Size still matters, a good team with an average height and weight over 6'2" and 205 lbs will probably defeat a team under 6' and 190 lbs in a seven game series or several series.

At least one more forward hopefully Lafrenière and a dman, maybe through a trade. Groot comes back but he is not enough. Hughes could help alot but he has to play a professional game yet.

Sure hope someone in management starts thinking about future contracts  4 years from now.

I agree we still will have to see what this team can do long term but the OP is correct to suggest that a young team like this is exactly what a lot of people have been asking for.

I think the Beagle Schaller Rousell signings are a stop gap for this type of player as we go forward. They can help now but we need to figure out where their replacements are going to come from. they most likely will not be on this team as they start to rise up. The good news is these players can be found on the FA market as well as in a trade. They are less likely to disappoint you as in an Eriksson type of signing.

Contracts are going to be interesting for sure but Horvat is locked up currently on a decent deal.If the players can see success they will look at less money or we will have to trade a player looking for more selfish money for younger players.Once you get to the challenger status you are more likely to have that issue. Look at the laffs now.Signed Tavares for huge bucks and now you have to try to sign the other younger players. It will happen to us also but we are a few years from that right now.

As for the D we need to have 2 really solid stars Hughes could be one of them, we need the other, then you can keep those two and rebuild around them as necessary. Like Chicago did with Keith and Seabrook, then you can be a contender regularly

Thanks OP..thread gave me a flashback to one I made in Aug 2016(?..think it was?), entitled 'Lovely New Face' I believe(again..?).

At the time, I was eagerly anticipating turning over the roster, like an aging Hollywood tramp wants more shots of Botox. Prob the vast majority of us CDC'ers wanted/were clamouring for a new, fresh incarnation..well, it's here, & will be for some time!

- They kept the Right vets..namely, the twins to teach professionalism

- JB had/has drafted BRILLIANTLY, as a sharp contrast to the preceding(2006~2012 black hole of a Balrog's Abyss!)

- We're FINALLY in the bottom-5 teams, on the cap friendly total AAV list of 31 teams. This means really nice manoeuvrability for JB in any trade talks

- There's a few Cdn teams with big stars, needing a re-up, or having just done so(Edm, TO, Winn), they'll either show the right path, or serve us as a cautionary-tale

For fans of my own demographic(perhaps 45 yrs,+)..don't think we've EVER had such a young, promising roster, with even more nicely developing youth in the pipeline.

It's something to savour..only took 5 decades!

38 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Thanks OP..thread gave me a flashback to one I made in Aug 2016(?..think it was?), entitled 'Lovely New Face' I believe(again..?).

At the time, I was eagerly anticipating turning over the roster, like an aging Hollywood tramp wants more shots of Botox. Prob the vast majority of us CDC'ers wanted/were clamouring for a new, fresh incarnation..well, it's here, & will be for some time!

- They kept the Right vets..namely, the twins to teach professionalism

- JB had/has drafted BRILLIANTLY, as a sharp contrast to the preceding(2006~2012 black hole of a Balrog's Abyss!)

- We're FINALLY in the bottom-5 teams, on the cap friendly total AAV list of 31 teams. This means really nice manoeuvrability for JB in any trade talks

- There's a few Cdn teams with big stars, needing a re-up, or having just done so(Edm, TO, Winn), they'll either show the right path, or serve us as a cautionary-tale

For fans of my own demographic(perhaps 45 yrs,+)..don't think we've EVER had such a young, promising roster, with even more nicely developing youth in the pipeline.

Did the nucks even have a farm team before utica? I know the moose had mixed players from different teams. 

1 hour ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Burke gave us two likely HHOFers, one Selke winner, and Jovocop  (you can add Bieksa as an honorable mention).

*AND* he had to operate under an owner that wanted to cut costs significantly.

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Burke gave us two likely HHOFers, one Selke winner, and Jovocop  (you can add Bieksa as an honorable mention).

*AND* he had to operate under an owner that wanted to cut costs significantly.

Polarizing figure..with a history of inspired/bizarre moves. I can only buy ya half a beer! :^)

It was music to my ears to hear JB say that any deals that involved “OJ, Hughes, Boeser, Gaudette, Lind, Demko, Horvat, Dahlen” were non-starters...the Oilers have provided the other rebuilding teams with much to consider (and the mistakes they’ve made), and I hope he keeps that mantra going once they get into the lineup, have success and it’s time to re-sign and tweek.

Archived