The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CAPTAIN

linden17

Is it just me or have we jumped onto a growing trend of teams not naming a captaincy? of course we have. But the question is why?

For me a captain is there for a few purposes and a big one is being able to represent the team. After last nights performance from Bo it is clear why he is supposed to be our next captain. So why are we delaying this? Being named a captain takes some things. You have to lead by example and you have to be able to stand before your team and answer questions. Bo can already do both so why are we waiting? I dont like the mentality that they dont want the pressure on him. Isnt that why certain players are considered? If Bo cant handle the pressure now then why are we even considering him? (by the way he is more than capable) I cant help but think its just the snowflake mentality of a few that are delaying this. Part of being a captain is being able to take on the pressure and that includes being in a hockey hot bed market like Vancouver. Pressure is what pushes guys to be better. If it doesnt than you arent captain material. Bo is ready! Lets name him captain and get it out of the way. I think it would be a key part in the growth of our team.

I'm glad he's not captain. The post game interviews are purely for a media that's hungry for controversy. After every loss he'd have to take pot shots from assinine pundits. Their questions are usually asking the obvious or trying to get a captain to validate their view of the team. Let the assistant captains take turns answering the stupid and/or pernicious questions from the peanut gallery.  Vegas has been doing fine without one. Bo does not need those ulcers. Whoever is good with a mic let him deal the the stupid media.

its really not a big deal xD i'm sure management would love to appoint Bo as captain, since he has everything you want as a sole leader of a team, but it's a smart move when the team's still in a transition phase and spreading leadership roles out to **** with the media, since they cant just all crowd around one guy for everything

No he wont do anything different but that proves my point. why not now? why not have someone in the locker room who players can lean on. We have all been around certain types who maybe arent outspoken but would maybe go to a captain for whatever reason. This to me is why a captain is important. its not only for what we see on the outside. its about inside the locker room too. say a player is unhappy....he could relay a message through the captain to address a problem. Not that that cant happen now but it would be good for the team to have a go to guy in the locker room. Im a deep thinker so i think about stuff like that/

42 minutes ago, linden17 said:

No he wont do anything different but that proves my point. why not now? why not have someone in the locker room who players can lean on. We have all been around certain types who maybe arent outspoken but would maybe go to a captain for whatever reason. This to me is why a captain is important. its not only for what we see on the outside. its about inside the locker room too. say a player is unhappy....he could relay a message through the captain to address a problem. Not that that cant happen now but it would be good for the team to have a go to guy in the locker room. Im a deep thinker so i think about stuff like that/

So guys can't lean on him because he has an A instead of a C? I suspect this has more to do with what you want than what actually goes on. Each of those A's is a leader for young guys to turn to. It would be no different if any one of them had a C instead. The only real difference between an A and a C is who draws the most attention, and ire, from the press. On the ice and in the locker room there's little difference at all.

4 minutes ago, Baggins said:

So guys can't lean on him because he has an A instead of a C? I suspect this has more to do with what you want than what actually goes on. Each of those A's is a leader for young guys to turn to. It would be no different if any one of them had a C instead. The only real difference between an A and a C is who draws the most attention, and ire, from the press. On the ice and in the locker room there's little difference at all.

yeah like i said it probably/can and does happen. im just sayin....why delay it when everyone knows who it is?!!! And im a little surprised at you BAGGINS for not understanding that. Also there is little difference on the ice and off? cmon man.....if u go by that logic the leafs are winning the cup last wednesday!

29 minutes ago, linden17 said:

yeah like i said it probably/can and does happen. im just sayin....why delay it when everyone knows who it is?!!! And im a little surprised at you BAGGINS for not understanding that. Also there is little difference on the ice and off? cmon man.....if u go by that logic the leafs are winning the cup last wednesday!

I'm not concerned in the least who wears the C. I've always been in the "leaders will lead regardless of a letter" camp and the players know who the leaders are.

I said on the ice and in the locker room. Players with a letter, whether an A or a C can have discussions with the refs on the ice. In the locker room players know who the leaders are whether it's an A, a C, or no letter at all. I don't see any relatable logic to the bold part when discussing magical letters.

If leadership was the only thing a C needs than Sutter is leading that camp at the moment.  Problem is he’s not going to score enough for the optics.  Media and fans alike LIKE the idea of Horvat for captain, myself included, and he probably will be named, but if you go back to the interviews where the Sedins were asked if he is the best choice going forward you’d notice some subtle hesitation, dimplomatic answers (but did say he was generally quiet in the dressing room, where it matters the most what’s really going on).  Leader by example is fine too, Sakic was like that and he was great at it, and also a man of few words but when he talked they listened.  Maybe it’s a result of deferring to the vets, not everyone is a Roenick or Hull (mouth pieces), he’s certainly done a great job with the press so far,  with the team in flux I don’t think they needed to be in any rush to see, and by letting it happen organically the players themselves will end up choosing their own leader (by who fills the void in the dressing room, with the media and on the ice etc).  Boeser also was touted to have leadership ability as a prospect (for those that follow prospects you know what I’m talking about), maybe something in the dressing room didn’t make the decision so obvious, and that’s the reason for no C, not just copying what TO had done and a few other clubs recently.  It’s certainly not the first time it’s happened either.

I actually like the team's wait and see approach.  Of course, Bo would be a great captain, but after Petey's emergence this season, all bets are off.  What if Bo was named captain and Elias goes on to quickly become the franchise player?  I would argue, that Colorado maybe is in a similar situation, naming Landeskog so quickly, only to have McKinnon become the team's dominant player.  Not that it's hurting them at the moment.

What's the rush? If it happens it'll happen naturally at this point. I feel like the importance of the C is overstated sometimes. The leaders in the room are gonna be the leaders in the room regardless of whether they've got a letter slapped on their jersey or not. Bo would still be Bo with or without an A or C. Same with Sutter, Salo, Henrik, Daniel, Ohlund, ect. What's the rush to pin a bunch of pressure (real of perceived) on a young guy during what's obviously a transition year for the organization? Let the leadership group deal with the media as a group and leave the rest to the guys in the room and the guys running the bench.

He'll get it at some point but right now I'd rather he just go out and play his best hockey as the team develops it's new identity. The season is still young and there's a lot of work to be done.

And let's be real here, he's already repping the Canucks. On and off the ice. They all are. It's part of being a professional hockey player. That's what the charity stuff, meet and greets, manning the phones, season ticket holder events, scheduled appearances, hospital visits, ect is all about.

Bo isn't Captain right now because management doesn't believe he's ready. He'll still be the one giving all of the interviews though and is the face of the franchise. Makes no sense. Is he going to feel less pressure with an "A" on his jersey? No, in his mind he's already Captain and he wants that. Management and their little games.  

The captaincy is a symbolic affirmation of reality.  Meaning that when a player is actually a leader then the act of putting a C on his chest doesn't actually change anything.

Giving a captaincy to a player when that player is not the de facto leader just causes chaos.  The team is waiting to see who is really the leader of this bunch of players - might take a while if reality is allowed to dictate action (meaning a correct decision is made)

8 hours ago, linden17 said:

Is it just me or have we jumped onto a growing trend of teams not naming a captaincy? of course we have. But the question is why?

For me a captain is there for a few purposes and a big one is being able to represent the team. After last nights performance from Bo it is clear why he is supposed to be our next captain. So why are we delaying this? Being named a captain takes some things. You have to lead by example and you have to be able to stand before your team and answer questions. Bo can already do both so why are we waiting? I dont like the mentality that they dont want the pressure on him. Isnt that why certain players are considered? If Bo cant handle the pressure now then why are we even considering him? (by the way he is more than capable) I cant help but think its just the snowflake mentality of a few that are delaying this. Part of being a captain is being able to take on the pressure and that includes being in a hockey hot bed market like Vancouver. Pressure is what pushes guys to be better. If it doesnt than you arent captain material. Bo is ready! Lets name him captain and get it out of the way. I think it would be a key part in the growth of our team.

A team needs a captain because someone has to be handed the Cup when it is won. The Canucks are a few years away from that, so there's no hurry in naming a captain now.

regards,  G.

Archived