The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRAILER] Cody Hodgson Trailer

Stix

6 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Are you trying to say that Zack Kassian and the defensive giant known as Andre Gragnani weren't worth it!  :lol:

At least 800k isn't knocked off the Canuck's cap for the next 3-4 years like it is with the Sabres...

Both teams failed hard with that trade.

Injuries did Hodgson in (managed to play well enough to earn a fairly good contract with the Sabres) and Kassian is still in the league.

Both didn't live up to their expectations but I wouldn't call them busts for those reasons.

1 minute ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Injuries did Hodgson in (managed to play well enough to earn a fairly good contract with the Sabres) and Kassian is still in the league.

Both didn't live up to their expectations but I wouldn't call them busts for those reasons.

Neither did I.  However the fact remains that both teams did fail with that trade.

5 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

Doesn't change my opinion of him at all.

While it's unfortunate he has a, potentially, dangerous disorder, it doesn't change his attitude of entitlement and arrogance.

He thought he was better than he was and this doesn't change that.

Koodos on him finding a way to get a foolish organization to, grossly, overpay him though.

Just glad it wasn't for us, amazingly enough.

This, but at the same time I'm willing to let bygones be bygones.  Not worth holding against him (sure as a joke but not legit IMO).

Good on him to be able to share what he's going through and be a representative to anyone who might not be able to speak for themselves with that disease.

https://www.ryr1.org/copy-of-ryr-1-muscle-disease-c23sl

About RYR-1-related diseases

Overview: RYR-1-related diseases is an inherited form of myopathy resulting in a wide range of symptoms, including muscle weakness, a potentially fatal reaction to general anesthesia (malignant hyperthermia), and rhabdomyolysis. Patients are born with RYR-1-related diseases, inheriting a defective mutation from one or both parents, or a spontaneous mutation (de novo). Mutations or changes in the RYR-1 gene are the most common cause of congenital muscle myopathy. The RYR-1 receptor is a channel in muscle cells that regulate the flow of calcium, a critical component of muscle contraction. A reduced number and/or abnormal RYR-1 channels lead to dysfunctional muscle contraction. There is a wide range of symptoms of RYR-1-related diseases but are typically either non-progressive or very slowly progressive. 

Symptoms: Common symptoms include weakness of the eye muscles and generalized muscle weakness, typically affecting the muscles closest to the torso of the body.  Some individuals experience muscle cramping and pain, difficulties exercising, and intolerance to heat. There are typically no heart problems and intelligence is not affected.

Breathing Problems: Breathing problems associated with RYR-1-related diseases can range from non-existent to severe and are due to weakness in the muscles of the chest wall. Mild breathing problems can include sleep apnea (stop breathing while asleep), requiring breathing support during sleep. Severe breathing problems require continuous support. 

Malignant Hyperthermia: Changes in the RYR-1 gene have also been associated with malignant hyperthermia, a severe and potentially fatal reaction to certain types of anesthesia (drugs given by a doctor for medical/surgical procedures). Anyone with an RYR-1 genetic abnormality should take "malignant hyperthermia precautions" if anesthesia is required for a medical/surgical procedure. Please click here for a guide for patients at risk for malignant hyperthermia. 

Diagnosis: RYR-1-related diseases are diagnosed with genetic testing.  In addition, a muscle biopsy can be performed, which allows doctors to examine the muscle under the microscope and look for changes at a cellular level that may be associated with the RYR-1-related diseases. MRI also allows the doctors to look for characteristic changes in the muscle at astructural level.

How does someone get RYR-1-related diseases? RYR-1-related dareeases is due to a change or mutation in the RYR-1 gene. This mutation in the RYR-1 gene is usually inherited from one or both parents, who may or may not be affected by the disease. There are two types of inheritance patterns for changes in this gene: autosomal dominant and autosomal recessive. "Recessive" means that both "copies" of the gene must have mutations for the patient to be affected; if only one copy is defective, the patient will be a carrier and not be affected clinically (signs & symptoms). "Dominant" means that even if only one copy of the gene is defective, the patient will be affected by the disease. 

Treatment: At this time, no cure exists for RYR-1-related diseases. The goal of this Foundation is to help find one. 

5 hours ago, VanGnome said:

It just occurred to me. Hodgson REALLY looks a lot like Liev Schreiber. I'll watch this documentary for sure, see how much shade is thrown on the Canucks.

Edit I don't expect to see any shade, but never know, because film makers.

Liev Schreiber should play Hodgson in the Biopic about his career that'll be released in a couple years.

2 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I wonder why his symptoms only appeared so recently?

He would have had the mutation his whole life.

I guess it's normal for it not to show up until later in life.  I have a mutation that causes my blood to clot quicker/easier than normal.  That didn't start affecting me until I was in my 20's.

He was a talented player. Too bad health hampered what he could have been. One of my favourite Canuck's prospects to follow through juniors/the minors ever. He was a force for the Brampton Battalion and played so well at the WJC. Too bad he was a genetic ticking time bomb.

4 hours ago, Where's Wellwood said:

I wonder why his symptoms only appeared so recently?

He would have had the mutation his whole life.

2 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

I guess it's normal for it not to show up until later in life.  I have a mutation that causes my blood to clot quicker/easier than normal.  That didn't start affecting me until I was in my 20's.

I'm gonna go with the superhero complex (not the actual term, but my brain is fried and thats how its chosen to correlate the phenomena). Certain mutations don't present symptomatically until the body goes through significant stressors. Maybe it started during his Junior career playing 40 minutes a game, then NHL was a step more intense.

The body undergoes some significant biological changes when training to the extent that pro athletes do. 

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

That seems like an ability that a superhero might have.

17 hours ago, VanGnome said:

It just occurred to me. Hodgson REALLY looks a lot like Liev Schreiber. I'll watch this documentary for sure, see how much shade is thrown on the Canucks.

Edit I don't expect to see any shade, but never know, because film makers.

yeah always noticed that too lol

8 hours ago, Dazzle said:

That seems like an ability that a superhero might have.

:lol:

Not when they show up randomly in your arms and legs for no reason.  Then they hurt and itch all at the same time.  Those little buggers have tried to kill me more than once by popping up near organs.

9 hours ago, VanGnome said:

I'm gonna go with the superhero complex (not the actual term, but my brain is fried and thats how its chosen to correlate the phenomena). Certain mutations don't present symptomatically until the body goes through significant stressors. Maybe it started during his Junior career playing 40 minutes a game, then NHL was a step more intense.

The body undergoes some significant biological changes when training to the extent that pro athletes do. 

I was once told by a doctor that the body goes through one final beginning of life biological change around it's mid-20's.  It makes sense I suppose that the change would be more pronounced if you're a present day NHL athlete.

Ex-Canucks Cody Hodgson explains real reason he retired in upcoming documentary

D65ee5c0c621138e6583683efa1bd7fe?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Rob Williams
Oct 26, 2018 4:02 pm

Cody Hodgson’s NHL career was short-lived.

Entering the league as a 10th overall draft pick by the Vancouver Canucks in 2008, he followed that up with a spectacular year of junior hockey. He led the 2009 World Juniors in scoring with Canada’s gold medal-winning team, and was named the CHL Player of the Year a few months later.

He suffered back injuries in training before ever playing an NHL game, and was traded by the Canucks during his rookie season. After initial success with the Buffalo Sabres, his production plummeted and he was bought out of his contract.

He played one more season split between the Nashville Predators and their AHL affiliate in Milwaukee before retiring in 2016 at age 26.

“A lot of people ask me, why did you retire? Why did you end early? They were asking me how my back is,” Hodgson explains in the trailer of a new documentary about him, called Hodgson. “That’s not really the reason I stopped playing.”

Cody Hodgson
Center
Born Feb 18 1990 -- Toronto, ONT
Height 6.00 -- Weight 191 -- Shoots Right
Selected by Vancouver Canucks round 1 #10 overall 2008 NHL Entry Draft
      Regular Season Playoffs
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
2004-05 Markham Waxers OPJHL 2 0 1 1 0          
2006-07 Brampton Battalion OHL 63 23 23 46 24 4 1 3 4 0
2007-08 Brampton Battalion OHL 68 40 45 85 36 5 5 0 5 2
2008-09 Brampton Battalion OHL 53 43 49 92 33 21 11 20 31 18
2008-09 Manitoba Moose AHL -- -- -- -- -- 11 2 4 6 4
2009-10 Brampton Battalion OHL 13 8 12 20 9 11 3 7 10 4
2010-11 Vancouver Canucks NHL 8 1 1 2 0 12 0 1 1 2
2010-11 Manitoba Moose AHL 52 17 13 30 14 -- -- -- -- --
2011-12 Buffalo Sabres NHL 20 3 5 8 2 -- -- -- -- --
2011-12 Vancouver Canucks NHL 63 16 17 33 8 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13 Rochester Americans AHL 19 5 14 19 10 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 15 19 34 20 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 Buffalo Sabres NHL 72 20 24 44 20 -- -- -- -- --
2014-15 Buffalo Sabres NHL 78 6 7 13 12 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Nashville Predators NHL 39 3 5 8 6 -- -- -- -- --
2015-16 Milwaukee Admirals AHL 14 4 7 11 0 -- -- -- -- --
Cody Hodgson statistics provided by hockeyDB.com

Hodgson didn’t quit hockey because of a bad back, nor did he stop playing on his own volition. He left the NHL after his doctor told him he had a rare disorder.

Hodgson was forced to retire due to complications from a mutation on his ryanodine receptor 1 (RYR-1) gene.

“My final year of playing, I was having some severe symptoms, I was having trouble breathing,” he said. “I was blacking out. My muscles were extremely tight, my whole body was just shaking.

RYR-1 is a form of muscle disease, which affects people differently. Hodgson says he hopes to “shine light” on RYR-1 in the documentary.

The film debuts December 8 in Markham, Ontario.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/cody-hodgson-retire-documentary-canucks

Poor kid, and more bad luck with the Canucks first round drafting I suppose. I know there was a lot of bad blood after he left the Canucks and the media really spun a negative light on him and his dad so hopefully this can restore his name. He was always a promising prospect and young player and I had high hopes for him but this makes sense in the end.

Hodgson had 1st line center and captain potential for sure, and dare I say if we had him in his potential prime right now we'd have one of the deepest young center cores in the league.

Is hard to see him suffer and have to retire so early, and picks just after him (Tyler Myers, Erik Karlsson, Jake Gardiner, John Carlsson) would have been smash hits for our defence. Not sure how many other teams have had such bad luck health-wise with their first round picks (thinking back to Bourdon as well).

Archived