The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[TRAILER] Cody Hodgson Trailer

Stix

5 hours ago, smokes said:

I'm sorry to hear that Hodgson is going through all this. I wish him nothing but the best. That being said, how did Gillis miss the back issues when Cody was drafted?

The back issues werent there when he was drafted

5 hours ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Gillis was hired, like, two months before that draft happened.

It's more on his scouts than him to have known about the back issues.

Should've had a better crystal ball... Don't think anyone could've been blamed for not predicting the back issues or any of the issues that led to him getting traded and retiring early. We can blame our scouts for a lot of other botched picks but this isn't really one of them. He absolutely seemed like the BPA at the time that we drafted him.

2 hours ago, Butters Stoch said:

Should've had a better crystal ball... Don't think anyone could've been blamed for not predicting the back issues or any of the issues that led to him getting traded and retiring early. We can blame our scouts for a lot of other botched picks but this isn't really one of them. He absolutely seemed like the BPA at the time that we drafted him.

don't think anyone could have been blamed? Angry sports fans always find something to blame, whether it makes any sense or not

On 10/27/2018 at 2:45 PM, butters said:

don't think anyone could have been blamed? Angry sports fans always find something to blame, whether it makes any sense or not

Fans aren't half as smart as they think they are. It wasn't that long ago just about everyone wanted Glass over Pettersson; now the city would implode if something happened to our Pettersson. 

The year he had 16 goals and 17 assists I thought to myself we got a knock off Stan Smyl. A under sized at that time, speedy, had hustle, was back checking the kid was trying then his dad dawned him a blonde wig to be a pre Madonna a hole. At least with his disease and his failure to end his career respectably made him humbler. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

It is a shame that his career went the way it did.

Lots of assumptions being made in these posts in here. 

It's crazy that he even had a career given his condition and that it took so long for him to be diagnosed when it's a life threatening disorder.  

From the Vingan article behind the Athletic's paywall:

https://theathletic.com/636488/2018/12/08/cody-hodgson-retirement-ryr1-gene-disease-predators-nashville/

Dr. Sheila Riazi diagnosed Hodgson: 

“If you go back to the professional playing,” Riazi recalled telling Hodgson, “I cannot guarantee you’re not going to get another massive (muscle) breakdown or organ dysfunction and even death.”

“I got basically a sheet after it was confirmed that says this is what you’re supposed to avoid, and it was any prolonged, physical, strenuous activity, any high-stress environments,” Hodgson said. “It was just like a list of things that was basically professional hockey. And they’re potentially life-threatening.”

Hodgson has proven time and time again that he is a class act. Even when MG started bashing Hodgson to the media, Cody kept quiet the entire time, and explained that he would talk about it at an appropriate time. The fact that the Canucks misdiagnosed his back would make any player pissed off. I'm not surprised at all that Cody is such a great ambassador of the game. He could be a great Coach or General Manager someday.

Archived