The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Andrej Sustr

Personally I would claim him, can fill in for injuries and is a good bottom pairing dman. He has 46 NHL playoff games under his belt and 18 AHL playoff games. Plus he is a right handed shot were we lack depth. 

When healthy we can carry 8 dmen and roll with:
Edler - Tanev

Hutton - Gudbranson

Pouliot - Stetcher

Del Zotto - Sustr

Doesn't seem like anyone was lining up to sign Sustr on free agency, maybe he took longer because he thought he would cash in. 

Maybe we can just trade Del Zotto for him straight across.

I'm on the fence.  The Canucks could benefit from giving their young D prospects a chance to take on more responsibility.  It's the only way to really know what you have.  On the other hand, the Comets have been ravaged by injuries too so is it better to give the prospects high responsibility and minutes in the AHL where they can make mistakes more freely or to do that in the NHL where they may be even less ready?

He's definitely a guy who the Canucks should claim. Even if it's for a month. He's an upgrade on Biega/Del Zotto/Pouliot... and he's HUGE! Plus, with Edler out for maybe 2 months, we could use the extra d-man and let Brisebois go back to Utica to continue playing big minutes. You can easily rotate Biega/Del Zotto/Pouliot/Sustr around until people are back from injury and go from there.

Doubt this guy doesn't get claimed.

Edler is out for a while, and even when he gets back he could be out again soon after. He gets injured a lot. Same with Tanev. Doesn't look like they want to get Juolevi in the lineup anytime soon. Del Zotto's days are numbered. I like Biega, but he's mainly in Utica for a reason. Who knows if Tryamkin will ever come back. Canucks need more reliable (and bigger) D.

I'd be okay signing this guy, they have the cap space and always need D.

3 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Edler is out for a while, and even when he gets back he could be out again soon after. He gets injured a lot. Same with Tanev. Doesn't look like they want to get Juolevi in the lineup anytime soon. Del Zotto's days are numbered. I like Biega, but he's mainly in Utica for a reason. Who knows if Tryamkin will ever come back. Canucks need more reliable (and bigger) D.

I'd be okay signing this guy, they have the cap space and always need D.

I think this guy gets snagged by a team who has earlier selection.  Even if we put in a claim, I doubt we get him. 

While Sustr has size to him, it's mostly height (6'7"), which, in and of itself, doesn't mean jack squat if there isn't a correlating weight that helps that height to stay in balance, and lend power to the player's overall frame.

Consider that Tryamkin has 50 pounds on this guy. Although he did sustain a very gruesome injury to his face that required 23 stitches, when his visor split in half during an altercation, slicing his nose and cheekbone. He was stitched up and came back for the third period, so he clearly has endurance and a high pain threshold.

tumblr_p4dxt9yC5s1r7z1bfo1_1280.jpg

16 minutes ago, Quantum said:

He's definitely a guy who the Canucks should claim. Even if it's for a month. He's an upgrade on Biega/Del Zotto/Pouliot... and he's HUGE! Plus, with Edler out for maybe 2 months, we could use the extra d-man and let Brisebois go back to Utica to continue playing big minutes. You can easily rotate Biega/Del Zotto/Pouliot/Sustr around until people are back from injury and go from there.

Doubt this guy doesn't get claimed.

There's no truth to that. That diagnosis was from Dr@billabong

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sure but why blow an asset getting him? he kind of seems like what we hoped Pedan might have turned into, minus the fighting part. 

To get an equivalent guy you are looking at swapping an AHLer who will never play for your NHL team just to even contracts out.  

If he was a left D I would be more interested.  We have Stecher, Tanev, and Gudbranson on that side as well as Biega and Pouliot plays both sides.

On the left side we have to now have Hutton and Del Zotto as our top two guys and that is pretty scary even with Hutton improved from last year.

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Trade Tanev, Del Zotto and Pouliot at the TDL (for 2019 picks). Re-sign Edler for 1 year.

2019/20

Edler - Hughes

Hutton - Gudbranson

Juolevi - Sustr

Stecher

Brisebois

Looks good.  I think that line-up would suffer less injuries too.

14 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

While Sustr has size to him, it's mostly height (6'7"), which, in and of itself, doesn't mean jack squat if there isn't a correlating weight that helps that height to stay in balance, and lend power to the player's overall frame.

Consider that Tryamkin has 50 pounds on this guy. Although he did sustain a very gruesome injury to his face that required 23 stitches, when his visor split in half during an altercation, slicing his nose and cheekbone. He was stitched up and came back for the third period, so he clearly has endurance and a high pain threshold.

tumblr_p4dxt9yC5s1r7z1bfo1_1280.jpg

Thanks for postin that pic, PB. Just woke up & scrambling for my mornin coffee. Now contemplating apocalypse/armageddon...

Archived