The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers Give Kassian Permission To Seek Trade

Me_

Montreal media questioned Burrows after the trade there for Prust.  There were no issue in the room it was his on ice play that frustrated the team.  Burrows used the expression 'il voulait faire de la dentelle'.  He wanted to make lace - play a finesse game while they wanted him as a power-forward given his size. 

The Starting lineup on Sportsnet 650 with Dhaliwal, Cybulski and Solkowski were talking about how there was an article last year about McLellan telling Kassian that he is a 4th liner and that he has to learn how to accept that role.  They believe that he no longer agrees and that it's the reason why he is asking out.  October 29th - they post the show on iTunes. 

On 30/10/2018 at 11:53 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

As GM, I would definitely be talking with the Coilers about a trade for ZK. 

Cost-wise, I’d be looking at what it would take to get him thrown into a Pool Party deal. 

The Canucks have room in their top 6 for this guy at this stage. 

Sentimentally-speaking, I would play him with EP and reinvent the Canucks magic that was once Gino and Pavel. He has enough speed skill to play with EP anyways., which is where I’d place him and let him soak up the spot light, which I think he would preform in, but it could also be a flop. Does it even matter at this stage? Is watching Goldy emerge a baby step a day any better for the team? I doubt it. 

I have no idea what the cost would be so I will spare you with my guessing.

I’m still not interested in a future Canucks team with Goldy or Hutton on it. Versatile Granny is a commodity most teams could use and the Canucks have zero cap issues to absorb a contract or two, if needed. Only JB knows enough to speculate on who is available at what. 

ZK could be an entertaining addition for Canucks fans during the rebuild, which is about all the team can sell these days, minus super star EP. 

Yup that is the one enticing thing about ZK. He has the speed to be able to keep up with a guy like EP. 

17 hours ago, mll said:

Montreal media questioned Burrows after the trade there for Prust.  There were no issue in the room it was his on ice play that frustrated the team.  Burrows used the expression 'il voulait faire de la dentelle'.  He wanted to make lace - play a finesse game while they wanted him as a power-forward given his size. 

The Starting lineup on Sportsnet 650 with Dhaliwal, Cybulski and Solkowski were talking about how there was an article last year about McLellan telling Kassian that he is a 4th liner and that he has to learn how to accept that role.  They believe that he no longer agrees and that it's the reason why he is asking out.  October 29th - they post the show on iTunes. 

If this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised if getting this permission is to see if there is a team that would accept him as more than a 4th liner. Then, either one of two things happen:

1) He finds a team that wants him in a larger role, or

2) Chiarelli says "I told you so now play 4th line"

He's 27 years old. At some point he needs to realise where he fits.

8 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

kassian is a grinder, but honestly he would be red hot on a line with petey

So could a lot of people. It doesn't mean Kassian would be the most effective that role if there are other, better possibilities.

2 hours ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

kassian is a grinder, but honestly he would be red hot on a line with petey

I’m liking what Goldobin is bringing to that line.

However, Dahlén is probably a fixture on that line eventually.

Kas' game has really taken a backslide.  Have a look at what Coiler fans have to say about him.  No aggressive game, can't score, sluggish skating and they would gladly see him walk.  Lots of kudos to the guy that managed to get his life back on track, but there's no denying that those years of substance abuse have likely wreaked havoc on his body. 

He's still a popular player in Vancouver, but sadly, his days as a NHL player may be coming to an end.

14 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Kas' game has really taken a backslide.  Have a look at what Coiler fans have to say about him.  No aggressive game, can't score, sluggish skating and they would gladly see him walk.  Lots of kudos to the guy that managed to get his life back on track, but there's no denying that those years of substance abuse have likely wreaked havoc on his body. 

He's still a popular player in Vancouver, but sadly, his days as a NHL player may be coming to an end.

I don't know how much I'd rely on fanscouting to determine whether a player's game is backsliding.  If we listened to our own fans we'd have dumped Sutter, Granlund, Gudbranson etc for any pick available.....

Kassian is playing a shutdown role with Brodziak.  He has 32 hits in 10 games (3rd on the Coil, behind a couple guys that play a lot more than he does).  Brodziak has 2 pts, Kassian 1.  Brodziak has a corsi of 47% in comparable minutes, Kassian 47.8%.  Kassina is playing 10:20, Brodziak 9:58.

I don't know what, if anything, any of this has to do with Kassian's life off the ice - but his underlying numbers are comparable to the past few seasons, his hits/grit numbers are better, but his production has been slower, as has Brodziak's.    10 minute 'bottom 6' guys like this may not be in great demand - but I'm not sure there's much evidence to suggest that he's declining rapidly or at the end of his career.  He's only played 10 games this year - and Oiler's fans would not be my source of player assessment.  Heck, I'm not even sure I'd put much value in Edmonton's coaching staff assessments lol.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

I don't know how much I'd rely on fanscouting to determine whether a player's game is backsliding.  If we listened to our own fans we'd have dumped Sutter, Granlund, Gudbranson etc for any pick available.....

Kassian is playing a shutdown role with Brodziak.  He has 32 hits in 10 games (3rd on the Coil, behind a couple guys that play a lot more than he does).  Brodziak has 2 pts, Kassian 1.  Brodziak has a corsi of 47% in comparable minutes, Kassian 47.8%.  Kassina is playing 10:20, Brodziak 9:58.

I don't know what, if anything, any of this has to do with Kassian's life off the ice - but his underlying numbers are comparable to the past few seasons, his hits/grit numbers are better, but his production has been slower, as has Brodziak's.    10 minute 'bottom 6' guys like this may not be in great demand - but I'm not sure there's much evidence to suggest that he's declining rapidly or at the end of his career.  He's only played 10 games this year - and Oiler's fans would not be my source of player assessment.  Heck, I'm not even sure I'd put much value in Edmonton's coaching staff assessments lol.

Points taken OD.  I wonder, though, if the Coils are allowing his agent to talk to other teams, that they would likely have already offered him out.  If they really don't think they can move him, we should see him on the waiver wire in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, oldnews said:

It gets worse, we would have sent Brock down or put him in the press box because he didn't score 4 goals in the first two games.

Archived