The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Riots of 2011

Drejka

Good evening Canucks´ fans.

I have a favor to ask and would be unconditionally grateful if somebody could help me.

I am a Slovak journalist (currently studying at UBC) writing an article on the Riots of 2011 for my alma mather website www.hokejovysvet.sk. People in my country do not really know what happened back in 2011, apart from some plain reports which had found its way to Slovak newspapers. Therefore, I am looking for people who experienced these events (or took an active part in them), who are willing to share their stories and insights. It can be anonymous, you can stick your name to your claim, I do not really care about it. It would be really nice if we could start a peaceful discussion about it here.

Thank you for your time.

Andrea

P.S. If you have other stories to tell related to Canucks or ice hockey in genereal, feel free to contact me because I would be really interested in provinding you with a voice to share them :)

15 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Also, people say it wasn't real fans out there rioting and that's bull$&!#. Of course real fans were rioting. They were disappointed, angry (and drunk in a lot of cases) over losing such a lopsided final game and took it out on their own city. 

I can agree with that but there were people down there with balaclavas and Molotov cocktails. Those people would’ve rioted regardless of the game’s outcome. I don’t think it was simply a case of a fanbase being poor losers. Then, of course, you had the drunk morons down there succumbing to the mob mentality and things snowballed from there. 

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

I can agree with that but there were people down there with balaclavas and Molotov cocktails. Those people would’ve rioted regardless of the game’s outcome. I don’t think it was simply a case of a fanbase being poor losers. Then, of course, you had the drunk morons down there succumbing to the mob mentality and things snowballed from there. 

That's fair. There were definitely people who went there looking to start something either way. I remember reports of a guy who claimed that he bought a beater truck which he was planning on lighting on fire win or lose. That being said, those who went downtown to cause trouble paled in comparison to the number of fans who went "Oh, &^@# yeah, a riot! Imma get in on that!"

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

those who went downtown to cause trouble paled in comparison to the number of fans who went "Oh, &^@# yeah, a riot! Imma get in on that!"

That’s where the problem really began. The small number of people dead set on rioting regardless of outcome could’ve been handled relatively easily had they not gained numbers. 

Can’t say I ever had any sympathy for the people who got caught and claimed they just got “caught up in the moment”. I was 17 years old and drunk but managed to make my way outta there without any rioting or looting. 

1 hour ago, Sean Monahan said:

Sounds like Jim Chu's version of events.  Molotov cocktails, baklavas? Pictures or proof for any of this?  

The Anarchists and Black Bloc planned this riot, was a lame excuse that Chu and the VPD used to cover their asses for the fact they weren't prepared to handle a large crowd of drunken, angry, young men.  And considering almost the exact same scenario had played out 17 years earlier, that was inexcusable.

I went to a pub in Yaletown to watch the game that day and took transit all the way down to Vancouver (from Langley). The whole trip down, buses and Skytrains were filled with moronic people talking about how they were going to riot, most of them already drunk before the game started and were openly drinking and smoking weed on buses and Skytrains. The riot was going to happen no matter what and thats the most embarassing part of the whole thing.

I passed the Canada Post building on my way to the Skytrain and they were already rolling and burning vehicles before the third period even came to an end. As a lifelong Canucks fan, it was truly embarassing and heartbreaking to see.

I never made it downtown because I prefer to watch games at home where I'm not distracted by things. I ended up watching it at a pals place in Kitsilano with 5 or 6 other people. When we lost we went down to Kits beach to throw a football around and get our minds off the game. Standing on the sand, I looked toward downtown and saw a plume of black smoke rising. I thought to myself "no, it can't be...", but when we left on our way back we saw on some storefront TV's with the news on and sure enough it was another hockey riot. Unbelievable. My uncle got out of downtown just in time in 1994 and told me how scary it was.

I was (still am) pissed off at all the idiots that embarrassed our city and I'm glad I never made it downtown for that game. It is a dark day in the history of Vancouver. 

2 hours ago, BowtieCanuck said:

I went to a pub in Yaletown to watch the game that day and took transit all the way down to Vancouver (from Langley). The whole trip down, buses and Skytrains were filled with moronic people talking about how they were going to riot, most of them already drunk before the game started and were openly drinking and smoking weed on buses and Skytrains. The riot was going to happen no matter what and thats the most embarassing part of the whole thing.

I passed the Canada Post building on my way to the Skytrain and they were already rolling and burning vehicles before the third period even came to an end. As a lifelong Canucks fan, it was truly embarassing and heartbreaking to see.

Thank you very much for sharing, this is exactly what I need :)

2 hours ago, Lafayettecrossbar said:

I never made it downtown because I prefer to watch games at home where I'm not distracted by things. I ended up watching it at a pals place in Kitsilano with 5 or 6 other people. When we lost we went down to Kits beach to throw a football around and get our minds off the game. Standing on the sand, I looked toward downtown and saw a plume of black smoke rising. I thought to myself "no, it can't be...", but when we left on our way back we saw on some storefront TV's with the news on and sure enough it was another hockey riot. Unbelievable. My uncle got out of downtown just in time in 1994 and told me how scary it was.

I was (still am) pissed off at all the idiots that embarrassed our city and I'm glad I never made it downtown for that game. It is a dark day in the history of Vancouver. 

Thank you! That helps a lot...did something similar happen in 1994 or before?

Archived