The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does the Sam Gagner demotion make the Canucks look bad?

cuporbust

Sam Gagner   

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No and no. Sam has the same expectation of any other player. He comes to camp in shape, works for a roster spot and proves he belongs in the NHL. His complacency and arrogance got the better of him, now he's in the AHL where he and his attitude belong.

19 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Can't help thinking back to TO/lackey media meddling when we tried to deal Lou, at a TDL. We had a legit team of stars back then, & they were always dog meat. So they looked at other ways to meddle.

I can imagine an Ontarian outcry/gnashing of teeth if any Van player commented on Hogtown manoeuvres, & hope our boys are smart enough to never bother with that shyte. Doubt the media would ever provide a necc platform, if any grievance were legitimate & newsworthy, anywhoo...

I *STILL* get a chuckle over this:

can_tsun.jpg

Gagner didn't make it because he wasn't good enough. He still isn't and never will be. He's on the downside of a mediocre career and belongs right where he presently is.

Tavares' two cents is useless and only serves to pump the very flat tires Gagner's presently driving on. Screw them both.

Maybe Toronto wants to trade for Gagner now that Matthews' is out for a couple of months, so that Sam and John get to play together and lead Leafs nation to another first round exit.

The only reason Gagne is getting any traction in the media is cause he's been loaned to the Marlies.  Had he been kept in Utica there would be NONE of this hard-done by, woe is me, bs, that seems to be a steady dribble out of TO these days.  Gagne was not good enough to make this team out of camp.  And if he is half-as-good an NHLer as these articles make him out to be, how come no other teams are interested in paying him the salary he signed for?

As for affecting free-agent signings, I think at this point, Benning probably won't be spending much on that front for at least a season or two, when nobody will even remember that Gagne played for the team. 

Seriously?

Like, he is bloody lucky Vancouver sent him to Toronto....pretty kind of them really!

You would think that if he was so valuable, that someone would have either picked him up off waivers (as said) or made a trade for him at a reduced cap friendly number

So, no...he is not as valuable as Taveras or he thought he was....

Like someone said......if he put a little effort into his game, a little sense of urgency

Then maybe he could have stayed on his own merits, instead of thinking Vancouver was obligated to keep him up

because, you know, he was a veteran!

I guess this thread is in response to Scott Wheeler's laughable bad Athletic article about Gagner that was released this morning. It's worth reading if you want to read the most unearned sob story in sports. Gagner kind of comes off as a whiner and to make things worse in the comments, Wheeler goes after Tyler Motte for no reason when people (rightfully so) say he lost to Tyler Motte. Wheeler's response to the Motte comments basically is "Gagner is better than Motte! Gagner was playing on a bad team last year! Motte only has 16 points in 90 career NHL games!" And then Wheeler also admits that Gagner doesn't play a good defensive game, which is a part of the game Motte thrives at (playing defense!). It was just laughable.

Answering this thread's questions.

No and no.

The Gagner situation won't deter players from signing here. Look at the deals we gave out to Beagle/Roussel/Schaller. If anything if medicore vets don't want to come here for fear we'll "Gagner" them -- chances are those aren't the type of players the Canucks should be signing/have around. The team's trending in the right direction. Gagner just wasn't up to snuff and that's that.

It makes management's pro scouting and contract/cap management look bad. 

If we sign a player for 3 years and he's AHL quality after 1, that's a bad signing.

If we sign a player for 6 years with a sizeable cap hit and he can't get over 25 points, that's a bad signing. 

If we sign a player for 2 years and he's getting scratched after 1, that's a bad signing. 

If we sign a player for just over 3.5 million per and he's on a PTO after, that doesn't look too good. 

I'm not saying it's entirely management's fault these guys haven't performed, but we should be stingier with our cap space from now on. Only bring in players who are essential from now on, no replacement level players. 

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I do think the Gagner situation will have some impact on future UFAs. Just based off some of the quotes we've seen from players, agents, and managers, it's clear that many folks around the NHL don't like seeing what's happened to Gagner and feel that he deserves better. I don't necessarily agree with them, but I also won't deny that the sentiment is out there, and likely to affect us, at least to some degree.

Not liking it is one thing, its easy to say when its not happening in your yard. Lots of veterans have seen demotions over the last few years, Gagner won't be the last. If it keeps us from signing a marginal guy for too much money then great. It won't effect top end players on long term deals (hopefully those are all internal now) or bottom end guys on 1 year stints. I don't think we'll have any appreciable effect due to this. 

2 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys . Just curious if anyone thinks the Sam Gagner demotion may have an effect on future UFA's view of our organization? 

My view is let the best players play . Sam was not the best player , so let him sit . However,  other players have taken notice of this decision.  ....

When Gagner settled on a move to Toronto, rather than heading to the Canucks’ affiliate in Utica, N.Y., Tavares was among the first of his old teammates to reach out and offer him a place to stay.

“We’re still extremely close. Our families spend time together. I’ve got to know his two young boys and his wife really well. I was definitely really, really surprised, especially after the commitment Vancouver made to him last summer and the way he was feeling coming into this summer,” Tavares said.

Thoughts ?

If any player doesn't play up to the expectations they set for themselves by their play prior to signing, why is it on the team?   Tavares is saying all the right things but if he was zero points at this stage in Toronto and minus 15 or similar, would he expect the Leafs to just keep rolling him out there?   

Archived