The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does the Sam Gagner demotion make the Canucks look bad?

cuporbust

Sam Gagner   

263 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What made the Canuck Organization look bad........

Was the Sam Gagner Signing....... 

Waste of a  Contract.....   Waste of ice time opportunities taken from our prospects and  our AHL plugs that would have done just as well... also giving plugs from the Farm a  shot also is good for the organization.... reward the loyal plugs plugging away in the farm...

Free agency players gets paid handsomely to come in the first place. 

If anyone else had offer Gagner that contract he most likely wouldn't have signed here.

This is a clear message to all players that they are being held accountable. 

Best move in a long time... Shape up or ship out...

Free agency will still be interested in coming to Vancouver, if the money is right.

In a year or two they will want to come, cause they want to play for the cup. The writing is on the wall....

Honestly, I don't get why people are blowing up this situation larger than what it's supposed to be. Gagner had expectations to be a vet that knows where and when he's supposed to be ready for training camp. His expectations for the team was to run our PP but he's done nothing to show that he could run any of our PPs. We've given him many chances for him to succeed with a roster spot but instead he couldn't outperform any of the young guns that were competing against him for the roster spot. We've heard it numerous times that Benning and Green will make room for a rookie skater if they can show them that they could stick it with the big leagues and that room will be made. The Canucks organization made decision in good faith to have him loaned to the Marlies. This to me is a sign of respect for the player, allowing him to go Toronto where his family is closer versus going to Utica. 

Tavares should be the last person to criticize an organization after what he did to NYI. 

7 hours ago, cuporbust said:

Hey guys . Just curious if anyone thinks the Sam Gagner demotion may have an effect on future UFA's view of our organization? 

My view is let the best players play . Sam was not the best player , so let him sit . However,  other players have taken notice of this decision.  ....

When Gagner settled on a move to Toronto, rather than heading to the Canucks’ affiliate in Utica, N.Y., Tavares was among the first of his old teammates to reach out and offer him a place to stay.

“We’re still extremely close. Our families spend time together. I’ve got to know his two young boys and his wife really well. I was definitely really, really surprised, especially after the commitment Vancouver made to him last summer and the way he was feeling coming into this summer,” Tavares said.

Thoughts ?

No, Gagner should be kicking himself right now.   He should have taken the assignment and gone down and player hard for Utica.  With the injures he would have been called up by now.  He got pissed and basically said I don't want to play in Utica and now look where he is - no man's land.   How dumb is that?   He left the organization that pays his salary.  

No.  He was lazy as hell, did nothing to justify an NHL job, and whined like a baby after he was sent down.  Benning even was nice enough to find a spot closer to hom e to accommodate the spoiled floater.  I was relieved Benning had the balls to demote him, as he clearly was outplayed by a bunch of the kids who didn't make the team, let alone the guys who stayed. 

Gagner's demotion makes Gagner look bad.

people are talking about demotion, but this is self-excommunication.  he would have been called up for sure by now with the injuries and the way he has been playing in the A.  But rather than report he decided to play games.  He basically turned his back on the organization and now he is stuck in the middle of nowhere.   Complete idiotic move.   

If he was smart he should apologize and go back to Utica.

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

people are talking about demotion, but this is self-excommunication.  he would have been called up for sure by now with the injuries and the way he has been playing in the A.  But rather than report he decided to play games.  He basically turned his back on the organization and now he is stuck in the middle of nowhere.   Complete idiotic move.   

If he was smart he should apologize and go back to Utica.

Doubt he'd be welcome back.  You don't want that kind of a problem individual around the kids.  Complete cancer in the room at this stage.

Regarding other players, the only guys this will prevent from signing here are the lazy pylons who are allergic to backchecking and want to put in the minimum effort possible.  If you play like an NHLer, you won't get sent down.

1 minute ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

With all these injuries, how long until Gagner gets a call up?

Gagner decided he would rather play for the Marlies  than report to Utica - how do you think Benning and crew think about that?  Gagner is pretty much done in this organization for that reason.  Utica could have used him to work with our young guys.  And with Sutter gone he probably would have been called up.   

Basic rules of life here - don't make knee jerk reactions and for hockey take what you get and work hard for better days - see Biega example and guys like Hutton and DMZ.   

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

Gagner decided he would rather play for the Marlies  than report to Utica - how do you think Benning and crew think about that?  Gagner is pretty much done in this organization for that reason.  Utica could have used him to work with our young guys.  And with Sutter gone he probably would have been called up.   

Basic rules of life here - don't make knee jerk reactions and for hockey take what you get and work hard for better days - see Biega example and guys like Hutton and DMZ.   

I thought benning loaned him to Toronto as a favour.

I didn't know Sam refused to report to Utica

43 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

I thought benning loaned him to Toronto as a favour.

I didn't know Sam refused to report to Utica

He didn't refuse to report, only asked to be near family but basically the same thing.  The bottomline is the Nucks wanted him in Utica.  And he didn't want to be there.  

3 hours ago, samurai said:

He didn't refuse to report, only asked to be near family but basically the same thing.  The bottomline is the Nucks wanted him in Utica.  And he didn't want to be there.  

Add in publicly moaning that your lazy play should be enough to stay in the NHL despite none of the other teams wanting a useless pylon and it's pretty clear he wouldn't be welcomed back onto this, or any NHL team.  He's lucky he didn't get suspended without pay.

Archived