The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Buy low on Pulijujarvi

2 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

I think you’re missing my point here, friend. 

Im not saying puljujarvi is a bad prospect, in fact I think it’s the opposite. I just think your wrong on your valuation of him on the trade market and the likelihood of him being traded. 

Chiarelli is on the hot seat here in  Edmonton. There is pressure from fans, media, and ownership to play meaningful games this spring and make the playoffs. Unfortunately, they have one of the worst right sides in the NHL and puljujarvi has not shown he can play at the NHL level this year. He is in the final year of his ELC and will require waivers next season. He’s been out played by guys like rattie, Chiasson, and even Kassian. He’s been a healthy scratch multiple times and now finds himself with the Condors in the AHL. As I’ve stated, Chia as shown a willingness to trade away potential in order to fix immidiate needs (Hall for larsson to fix defense, a 1st and a 2nd to fix defense, and eberle for Strome to save cap space and had centre depth). There is no reason to believe he wouldn’t trade puljujarvi for an established NHL player, especially if he can shed salary first. 

As for the assumption it would take a top prospect AND a high first to get him; really think about that for a second. 

Would you trade joulevi and say, the 11th overall selection for JP?

what about Dahlen and the 11th?

Simply, he’s not worth that much, and Chiarelli wouldn’t even be looking for only those pieces in return. He’d something more along the lines of a top 6 winger and a defensman

I'm not wrong, Chiarelli would be canned immediately if he made a trade like you suggest.

18 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Sutter will bring more value at the TDL than Gaudette.

Gaudette's big value  right now is the Hobey Baker award and how much the US makes of college sports. IMO Gaudette will play in the NHL most probable as a 3rd liner and there are lots of those. Right now that award may sweeten a deal. I hear Winnipeg has an unhappy VESALAINEN threatening to go to Europe, Pittsburgh maybe interested in a deal for Sprong, not if he would be an upgrade but VESALAINEN could work.

I think Gaudette's best hockey will come in a couple years.  He needs to physically mature into a man.  He's still rather light, and a bit weak on (and off) pucks.  Once he gets heavier and stronger, I see him being a better version of Sutter.  Trading Sutter now, though, might be a mistake.  Maybe TDL 2020 would be better timing to move Sutter?

21 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I think Gaudette's best hockey will come in a couple years.  He needs to physically mature into a man.  He's still rather light, and a bit weak on (and off) pucks.  Once he gets heavier and stronger, I see him being a better version of Sutter.  Trading Sutter now, though, might be a mistake.  Maybe TDL 2020 would be better timing to move Sutter?

Yeah I'd imagine they're planning on trading him either next season or the season after as his NTC becomes a modified-NTC and it'd be easier to deal him. It almost seams like they structured Sutter's contract in order to move him in the next couple years. even if gaudette isn't ready to step in as a 3rd line centre, Canucks should be able to find a cheaper option simehwere else, or play Grandlund there if need be. Beagle can take on Sutter's defensive responsibilty along with Horvat.

I'm a Big Sutter Fan but I think he has too much trade value to keep till he becomes FA. could easily get a 2nd + depth player for him, especially if Canucks are willing to retain a bit of salary

11 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Pool Party with EP would be interesting. Not sure if we have a deal to be made with EDM though. They would want a similar age player I assume? If we called about him I would assume they would likely as for OJ in return.

OJ for JP, that would work and be a big win for the Nucks. JP can play in the NHL whereas OJ is very questionable. Gaudette and OJ could work. They would want a prospect so that eliminates all the players on the NHL team. Elias is a no, ditto Boeser for JP. And that leaves none.

Funny comparing the high value Canucks fans place on Pool Party vs the low value Edmonton fans place on him. These are quotes from the Oilers board............

I would trade JP to the Pens for Jamie Oleksiak . Today …...right now .

On 11/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, billpayor said:

Me too.  Before the league finds out he isn't going to be anything.

1 hour ago, Rick Blight said:

Funny comparing the high value Canucks fans place on Pool Party vs the low value Edmonton fans place on him. These are quotes from the Oilers board............

On 11/10/2018 at 9:22 AM, billpayor said:

Me too.  Before the league finds out he isn't going to be anything.

Those are just silly though. I wouldnt overpay to get him but if canucks brass thinks Hughes will step in this spring or next fall they might offer OJ straight up. We need to keep Gaudette. We have 2 older Righty C that need replacing. 

Well his name is coming up a lot now.

As a rebuilding team with over 50 recent draft picks and half a team of 3rd/4th liners that could be moved don't you think trading for a 6'4" 225 lb center, a #3 overall pick is worth a shot? The team traded essentially 2 first rounders for Gudbranson and fans are pleased with his play.:spaz:

Could you see him ending up with LA and meeting expectations because he can get the ice time sort of like Sequin.:(

Shouldn't a rebuilding team get as many high end 20 yr olds as it can? Or at least be making decent offers?:roflmao:

"They wanted one of out young roster (Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Pettersson) players" that will be the dogma if the Nucks failed IF he does get traded. :lol::lol:And then he is traded for a 3rd line grinder and 2nd round pick.:lol::lol: Certainly not assets the Nucks could lose.:lol::lol:

On 11/16/2018 at 12:31 PM, TheGuardian_ said:

OJ for JP, that would work and be a big win for the Nucks. JP can play in the NHL whereas OJ is very questionable. Gaudette and OJ could work. They would want a prospect so that eliminates all the players on the NHL team. Elias is a no, ditto Boeser for JP. And that leaves none.

You would trade both Gaudette and OJ for Pulji? 

Hahha...that shows you know nothing about hockey players or prospects right there. 

44 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

You would trade both Gaudette and OJ for Pulji? 

Hahha...that shows you know nothing about hockey players or prospects right there. 

I do know that as good as Gaudette was in college he never played against the best in the world in his age group or higher.

There is a difference between making the NHL and being a star player. This is called potential. Stecher is playing at 120% but is still not effective enough vs larger players, he will take penalties. Gaudette still has some more growth but does he have even a whiff of what it could take to supplant Horvat or Pettersson? OJ can't crack this D and it is terrible, one of the worst in the league and he is still not good enough for a 6 or 7 spot. Although with this forward group he would need help and the team would need to change the system they are playing, with all the rushing it does expose and magnify weaknesses.

So sure, two players, one that hasn't played a single NHL game and another that is buried behind 3 other superior centers for a proven NHL player, at worst a king sized Sven without the injury history and smaller contract.

Not every "promising" asset will make the team so moving the redundant for specific superior potential or other 50+ draft picks is part of managing.

Archived