The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Govenor General Adrienne Clarkson Billed Government For $1.1 Million Since Leaving Job

DonLever

Just now, SabreFan1 said:

And a heck of a lot cheaper than 1 useless figurehead and 58 sycophants taking a vacation on the taxpayer's dime!

yeah that one needs some explainin' 

regardless, the rules allowed it so its not like theres a recourse. Hopefully they really will change the rules moving forward. 

6 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

Now translate that to 2018 money and she spent nearly $7 million CAD.   If she wanted to spread Canadian culture, she could have saved some cash by sending a maple syrup covered beaver holding a plate of poutine riding a moose led by a mountie to each country. :P

I have my own way of promoting Canadian culture....

...a puck to the head, courtesy of a slapper, followed by a "sorry".....:gocan:

27 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I have my own way of promoting Canadian culture....

...a puck to the head, courtesy of a slapper, followed by a "sorry".....:gocan:

C'mon... true Canadians would apologize after they got hit in the head by someone else shooting the puck ;) 

29 minutes ago, Kragar said:

C'mon... true Canadians would apologize after they got hit in the head by someone else shooting the puck ;) 

Depends on who we're playing.....

....if it's an American, I break out the trash talk: "That all you got? My Grandma shoots harder than that!

Spending, and debt, is the biggest problem with all government.  Not left, or right, because they ALL do it.  Its time we had a viable alternative that was SERIOUS about lowering the debt and spending.  Put money back in people's pockets where it belongs.

16 minutes ago, xereau said:

Spending, and debt, is the biggest problem with all government.  Not left, or right, because they ALL do it.  Its time we had a viable alternative that was SERIOUS about lowering the debt and spending.  Put money back in people's pockets where it belongs.

To an extent.

That being said, I'm not against spending (and debt) per se. It depends what the money is being spent on. Investment in green energy solutions? Count me in. A ridiculously bloated military, or tax cuts that benefit the already wealthy in the hopes that the money will "trickle down"?

Pass.

59 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

To an extent.

That being said, I'm not against spending (and debt) per se. It depends what the money is being spent on. Investment in green energy solutions? Count me in. A ridiculously bloated military, or tax cuts that benefit the already wealthy in the hopes that the money will "trickle down"?

Pass.

Well we certainly don't have a bloated military. We should be spending at least 40 billion a year on our military and we aren't even half of that. 

I agree about spending on certain things is wise but that being said if our governments were smarter we wouldn't have to go into debt/defecit for the spending you and I would like to see.

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well we certainly don't have a bloated military. We should be spending at least 40 billion a year on our military and we aren't even half of that. 

I agree about spending on certain things is wise but that being said if our governments were smarter we wouldn't have to go into debt/defecit for the spending you and I would like to see.

But the Americans do and the poster I waqs responding to said "left and right"...

9 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

But the Americans do and the poster I waqs responding to said "left and right"...

Oic I thought he was referring to left and right here. As for the American military spending I think we can all agree they could cut spending in half and still have the most sophisticated and dominate military in the world.

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Oic I thought he was referring to left and right here. As for the American military spending I think we can all agree they could cut spending in half and still have the most sophisticated and dominate military in the world.

TBH, you could be correct. I interpreted as a comment on right vs left in general.

Completely agree with the final sentence.

17 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well we certainly don't have a bloated military.

Even so, the lack of support for what veterans Canada has is appalling - in light of this crap with GG spending, priorities are messed up.

“Why are we still fighting certain veterans groups in court? Because they’re asking for more than we are able to give right now.” 

Trudeau-Town-Hall-Canadian-Veterans-Betr

1 minute ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Even so, the lack of support for what veterans Canada has is appalling - in light of this crap with GG spending, priorities are messed up.

Trudeau-Town-Hall-Canadian-Veterans-Betr

Don't get me started on this. Our governments have been taking a page from the Americans when it comes to neglecting our Veterans. I find it ridiculously sad that many Canadians are completely fine with neglecting our Veterans and underfunding our military.

Archived