The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Public vs Private School Education

ReggieBush

Public vs Private School Education  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would prefer my kid learn Math , Science or even welding ...... than  religion......

No one would argue removing any of those options.  There's absolutely no harm in learning someone else's beliefs.  I would say it would be a benefit to talk about these things and learn from each other.  

5 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

I'd also like to say its a pet peeve of mine when people separate Christian from Catholic.  Technically, Catholicism is a part of Christianity.  

There are approximately 2.4 Billion people in the world who believe in the teachings of Christ. More than half of that number,belong to the catholic church. I acknowledge that they are a part of christianity, I just thought that based off the numbers, I would make the catholic schools their own option.

6 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

No one would argue removing any of those options.  There's absolutely no harm in learning someone else's beliefs.  I would say it would be a benefit to talk about these things and learn from each other.  

There is no place in our education system for Religion...... 

Religion should be taught through the home.....  

15 minutes ago, Cpt.Clutch said:

I have long wanted this.  A course on world religions would be a great way to help diminish negative stereotypes, help people better understand other people's positions and ultimately help reduce the amount of hatred towards each other (in theory anyways).  I wouldn't even be opposed to having local preachers/ministers/imams/rabbis/etc come teach their perspective.  Ignorance of other people's beliefs is a huge problem we have in our culture and we have even made talking about religion culturally inappropriate.  

I wouldn't think a high school class would get into gritty details of theology or memorizing verses from scriptures.  I would imagine it to be more of a broad perspective.  Learn the basics of what the religion speaks about life, choices, sin, afterlife, meaning of life, humanity's purpose, basic moral teachings, origins of the religion...not memorizing verses or practicing prayer, or doing any rituals.  

I seem to remember a lot of study on religion when I was in school (early 80's).  I remember doing a report on Buddhism, and I'm pretty sure there were others.  Or, maybe they were reports on various countries, but we had sections of the report go deeper into the main religions of the countries we were studying.  I don't see anything wrong with an overview like you point out.  Keep it general and respectful, and reduce some ignorance.

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would prefer my kid learn Math , Science or even welding ...... than  religion......

At my school, religion was one of 8 classes that you are required to take. You would still take Math classes, Science classes, English, History or Social Study Classes, Languages, PE among others. Its not the only thing you learn lol.

3 minutes ago, ReggieBush said:

At my school, religion was one of 8 classes that you are required to take. You would still take Math classes, Science classes, English, History or Social Study Classes, Languages, PE among others. Its not the only thing you learn lol.

If you spent 12 % of our highschool time studying religion.....  guess what.... you lost 12 %  or over 100 hours per year of learning something else......

Kids now days would benefit in school with learning Carpentry,  Electrical, Computer skills, Welding.....  as we need more skilled trades in BC. 

When i was a kid... people learning about religion on Sundays......    NOT at school.  Makes more sense in my opinion....

6 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

If you spent 12 % of our highschool time studying religion.....  guess what.... you lost 12 %  or over 100 hours per year of learning something else......

Kids now days would benefit in school with learning Carpentry,  Electrical, Computer skills, Welding.....  as we need more skilled trades in BC. 

When i was a kid... people learning about religion on Sundays......    NOT at school.  Makes more sense in my opinion....

This is just my personal opinion, but beyond just the job related part, having kids understand religions is important as a whole how we can relate to other people.  Its not just a Christian/Catholic thing, but understanding someone who comes from a Muslim background, Buddhism, Hinduism etc.

For me school isn't just about teaching kids about trades and skills to succeed in jobs, but its a time where you can also help them be more accepting of others (which is a huge problem for society being tolerant, and accepting of others), doing so comes from having knowledge and understanding. 

14 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

You must think taking Music, Art or Drama classes are a waste of time too?

I don't think I lost anything in taking religion. My HS Religion classes (at a private catholic school) taught me a lot about 4 things

1. The history of world religions, with emphasis on the Catholic Church (duh). They even taught us about the bad things.

2. We learned about ancient philosophy. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, the works.

3. Morality

4. Self reflection and the importance of evaluating yourself

Also, I'm not ignorant when it comes to discussing religion, which I feel is pretty important in today's day and age.

If you think any of these things aren't worth learning, idk what to say.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Not all private schools are equal.

My wife teaches at a small private school in Victoria that only accepts students that have learning disabilities.  It's not some fancy high and mighty institution.  They get some funding from the government and the parents pay a small tuition.  They make up the difference with fundraisers like you would see from any public school PAC.

Pulling public funding would destroy this school and all the kids that it helps.

I have no issue with that. I think a friend of mine might actually be an SEA at your wife’s school btw. 

I’m separating s school like the one you’ve mentioned from schools like Vancouver College, Saint George’s, etc. The school you’ve mentioned caters to a portion of the population that needs this sort of special help. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Don't you live in a multicultural country?  Don't you see the benefits of some semblance of a better understanding of the people around you?  Is that effort wasted?  Especially if you consider (per OP article) the societal benefits provided by graduates of these schools.

I'm not a religious person myself, but a little understanding can go a long way.

The rest of your post is spot on.  I heard something on the radio recently, where a candidate for governor (New York, I believe) had an idea for revamping schools.  After 10th grade, students would be able to choose to go to specialized schools.  So, trade schools, computer tech, fine arts, advanced studies (college prep), etc. would all be available and funded via voucher.  Sounded like a great idea to me.. worth looking into.  

My wife teaches at a small private school in Victoria that only accepts students that have learning disabilities.  It's not some fancy high and mighty institution.  They get some funding from the government and the parents pay a small tuition.  They make up the difference with fundraisers like you would see from any public school PAC.

Pulling public funding would destroy this school and all the kids that it helps.

I have no issue with that. I think a friend of mine might actually be an SEA at your wife’s school btw. 

I’m separating s school like the one you’ve mentioned from schools like Vancouver College, Saint George’s, etc. The school you’ve mentioned caters to a portion of the population that needs this sort of special help. 

This is more of the exception to the rule. Specialized private schools can absolutely better meet the specific needs of students with learning disabilities. These types of students often get left behind in public schools, and even traditional private schools.

I am not in favor of having taxpayer money go to schools whose student body is made up primarily of those with parents who are affluent enough to afford such a luxury. I am in favor of private schools receiving funding such as the one in your example, as it fulfills a specific need that the students attending would otherwise not have.

27 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Fair enough, but your earlier comment (like so many) didn't differentiate.  It painted all private schools with the same brush.  And that's where I feel I have to step up and say something sometimes.  Even the article that started this thread didn't make any mention that there are specialized private schools that are providing a great service but barely scraping by.

Schools like St. Mike's and GNS have more money than they know what to do with.  They also have alumni that go on to do high-paying things and then often contribute back to the school.  Nobody is calling up my wife's school and offering to build them a new library, or even a playground for that matter.

And as for your friend, just the fact that you referred to her as an SEA (Special Education Assistant) makes me think you are right.  Everywhere else the are usually referred to as an EA (Education Assistant).

2 hours ago, goalie13 said:

thats completely different from a religious choice or one with a perceived societal benefit. I have no issues with it if its for kids with actual needs. 

1 hour ago, ReggieBush said:

You must think taking Music, Art or Drama classes are a waste of time too?

I don't think I lost anything in taking religion. My HS Religion classes (at a private catholic school) taught me a lot about 4 things

1. The history of world religions, with emphasis on the Catholic Church (duh). They even taught us about the bad things.

2. We learned about ancient philosophy. Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, the works.

3. Morality

4. Self reflection and the importance of evaluating yourself

Also, I'm not ignorant when it comes to discussing religion, which I feel is pretty important in today's day and age.

If you think any of these things aren't worth learning, idk what to say.

I think a good education should include religious study for sure.  Maybe if people weren’t so damned ignorant about one another, there wouldn’t be so much hatred?   Of there needs to be the three Rs, but there should be social justice, religious study, economics, and a lot of other important stuff too.  I like the shop classes too.  Learning about as wide a variety as possible would really help kids.

1 hour ago, kingofsurrey said:

There is no place in our education system for Religion...... 

Religion should be taught through the home.....  

I agree King.  Religious doctrines should be taught at home.  Religious studies, where kids learn about other religions, should be in schools.  I think it would help kids be more accepting of others.

I'm confused. Some of you seem to interpret religion being taught in school as the school teaching you a specific religion to follow rather than teaching you about several religions that exist and what people who choose to follow them believe. I can definitely see why people wouldn't like the former, but do people really disagree with the latter?

Sad thing is the elite Vancouver private schools really do NOT even need the government funds given to them.

The super elite private schools are virtually awash in donated money........  

Can you say Tax receipt / Donation write off ????

Very sad to see how Public Education in BC was severely damaged by the long BC Liberal run of governments.... 

When the Premiers own  kids  go Private... was it ever really a surprise..... ?

Archived