The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Public vs Private School Education

ReggieBush

Public vs Private School Education  

65 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

And as for your friend, just the fact that you referred to her as an SEA (Special Education Assistant) makes me think you are right.  Everywhere else the are usually referred to as an EA (Education Assistant).

She’s in her second year now there and loves it. Has an absolute blast with the kids. 

5 hours ago, ReggieBush said:

In my opinion they should receive government funding because they are still teaching kids who will go on and become parts of society. I don't think they should receive full funding, but at least partial.

Private schools should not get government funding, but neither should there be institutions of government propaganda using government funds to indoctrinate kids with left wing, ‘progressive’, postmodern indoctrination hilariously referred to as ‘public education’.  

I went to public from K to 12, but I would send my child to private if I had the funds.   

The education from public and private are nearly identical, so it's pointless to say one is better versus the other.  The only key differences I can say private has different standards in terms of hiring, the extra-curricular programs, support, etc.  Some are better, some are worse. 

As for religion in school.... I think it's more important to teach morality and good citizenship than anything from any particular faith.  Although the ability to understand and appreciate different views and about religion will always be useful.

I remember watching religious videos and having volunteer nuns visiting the class when I was like from K-1 in public school and having teachers from different faiths.... all it did was taught me to be more understanding of others who are different from me, and to strive to be more compassionate and charitable to others.  Whatever your views on religion and schools.... there is never anything wrong with teaching people to be nicer to others.  

The way I look at it is that the 50% government funding for private schools allows for kids to be taught essential skills to help build a society. Skills like math, carpentry, chemistry, mechanics, physics, and languages. The other 50% provided by the parents goes towards whatever reason they are sending their child to a private school. 

Those people who are saying that private schools should get no money whatsoever must think that because you went to a private school you haven't been taught necessary skills to function in society. 

1 hour ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

The way I look at it is that the 50% government funding for private schools allows for kids to be taught essential skills to help build a society. Skills like math, carpentry, chemistry, mechanics, physics, and languages. The other 50% provided by the parents goes towards whatever reason they are sending their child to a private school. 

Those people who are saying that private schools should get no money whatsoever must think that because you went to a private school you haven't been taught necessary skills to function in society. 

If a private school accepted everyone that applied I'd be on board. Instead many have entrance interviews and tests to make sure no behavioral or intellectually disabled kids get through and ruin their precious test scores. Kids with problems at home, mental health issues, ADHD, autism, money issues, guess where they go?

If you factor in the cost of supports for kids with disabilities of anykind that many private schools never have to deal with it's an unfair system. If people want to send their kids to a school of the advantaged let them pay for it. The fact is they get government funding for a school that my own kid couldn't attend, doesn't seem right to me. 

6 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

If a private school accepted everyone that applied I'd be on board. Instead many have entrance interviews and tests to make sure no behavioral or intellectually disabled kids get through and ruin their precious test scores. Kids with problems at home, mental health issues, ADHD, autism, money issues, guess where they go?

If you factor in the cost of supports for kids with disabilities of anykind that many private schools never have to deal with it's an unfair system. If people want to send their kids to a school of the advantaged let them pay for it. The fact is they get government funding for a school that my own kid couldn't attend, doesn't seem right to me. 

I guess I'm unfamiliar with most private schools. I went to a very small Christian high school of only 250 students that accepted anyone as long as they were part of a church. This included 3 autistic kids, one of whom was in my class. There were always special care staff to take care of them.

To say all private schools only accept 'elite' kids is ignorant. Nearly everyone at my school is your average human, learning essential skills that translate to the workforce. The government would not and should not cut funding, because private school students still contribute to society in a positive way 

I went to a private Catholic school for twelve years in Vancouver. We had  students with special needs and no EAs back then. It was a small school; my grad class had 32 students in it. If a student needed extra help he/she would get it. It was rated as one of the best academic schools in the city. My Mother volunteered at BINGO to lower my tuition.  I chose to go to the high school since all my friends were going there. I liked wearing uniforms; white button up shirt and grey pants or skirt....eliminated any competition and made it easy to decide what to wear in the morning. 

4 hours ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

I guess I'm unfamiliar with most private schools. I went to a very small Christian high school of only 250 students that accepted anyone as long as they were part of a church. This included 3 autistic kids, one of whom was in my class. There were always special care staff to take care of them.

To say all private schools only accept 'elite' kids is ignorant. Nearly everyone at my school is your average human, learning essential skills that translate to the workforce. The government would not and should not cut funding, because private school students still contribute to society in a positive way 

If you say you are unfamiliar with most private schools you can hardly call someone else ignorant to the topic. I clearly said many , not all, and I know a great deal about the education system as I work in it. I agree that if private schools had to follow the same rules as public they certainly have a better argument for funding but can you agree that elite private schools should not? 

6 hours ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

If you say you are unfamiliar with most private schools you can hardly call someone else ignorant to the topic. I clearly said many , not all, and I know a great deal about the education system as I work in it. I agree that if private schools had to follow the same rules as public they certainly have a better argument for funding but can you agree that elite private schools should not? 

I noticed that afterwards that's my bad Joey. 

As for elite private schools I don't know much about entrance requirements, so it's tough for me to say whether or not they deserve funding. My main point is that if an institution can prove that their alumni are contributing positively in the public or private sector then why not give some sort of funding? 

19 minutes ago, GrizzlyAdams said:

I noticed that afterwards that's my bad Joey. 

As for elite private schools I don't know much about entrance requirements, so it's tough for me to say whether or not they deserve funding. My main point is that if an institution can prove that their alumni are contributing positively in the public or private sector then why not give some sort of funding? 

Because I can't use it. If it's not available to the general public then I don't care about the outcomes. I believe it should not receive public funding. 

On 11/3/2018 at 7:40 AM, kingofsurrey said:

I would prefer my kid learn Math , Science or even welding ...... than  religion......

I would want my kid to learn about all religions, and critique each one. If the kid finds one they like, then so be it. Religion is a big part of human history, and just negating it is foolish, as there is a ton of history behind it. 

Private school is best when it is a specialized private school. I still can't justify paying a crap ton of money a year for my kid to attend private school though. I would rather shell out that money for him or her to improve in different ways, and explore their hobbies. And this is even if I was loaded.

14 hours ago, Darkstar said:

I would want my kid to learn about all religions, and critique each one. If the kid finds one they like, then so be it. Religion is a big part of human history, and just negating it is foolish, as there is a ton of history behind it. 

Speaking Latin is also a huge part of history.... but i don't really want my kid learning to speak Latin......

I would rather my kid learn Carpentry, Welding , AutoCad / Revit , Electronics and/or computer programming.........

When was a kid.... Monday to Friday was Public School.  Saturday was sports...  Sunday was Church/  Reglious studies  for religious kids and  Fishing /Hunting for the rest of us sinners......  The river, the flows  and the tribs was where i worshipped.......

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

Speaking Latin is also a huge part of history.... but i don't really want my kid learning to speak Latin......

I would rather my kid learn Carpentry, Welding , Electronics and/or computer programming.........

I wonder, with these smart phones as translators, if the teaching of languages becomes obsolete?  Plus, with the continued warnings of a big quake on the horizon, maybe survival skills should be a course?  

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I wonder, with these smart phones as translators, if the teaching of languages becomes obsolete?  Plus, with the continued warnings of a big quake on the horizon, maybe survival skills should be a course?  

I am proud to say all my kids are fluent in both English and French.......   It is a great advantage when applying for CDN government jobs or even large Canada Wide  companies .     

Learning languages at a young age is a exercise for the brain....  similar to playing a musical instrument or playing chess......  Great for brain development.....

1 minute ago, kingofsurrey said:

I am proud to say all my kids are fluent in both English and French.......   It is a great advantage when applying for CDN government jobs or even large Canada Wide  companies .     

Learning languages at a young age is a exercise for the brain....  similar to playing a musical instrument or playing chess......  Great for brain development.....

True.

The person that wrote the article quoted by the OP works for Cardus, which is a "faith-based think-tank" (https://www.cardus.ca/).

I'm sorry, but I am hesitant to take at face-value the results of a report produced by an agency that thinks faith belongs anywhere near research. That is basically the antithesis of research. Not to mention, this is a terrible research design. There are no controls for things like parent income, socio-economic status, parent education, etc. The kids that go to private school might simply come from a more advantageous background, and it is this background that resulted in more favorable adult outcomes. Private versus public school might not have a damn thing to do with the differences that Cardus reported. However, since they have a particular slant, of course they aren't going to control for relevant moderators. 

10 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

I would rather my kid learn Carpentry, Welding , AutoCad / Revit , Electronics and/or computer programming.........

When was a kid.... Monday to Friday was Public School.  Saturday was sports...  Sunday was Church/  Reglious studies  for religious kids and  Fishing /Hunting for the rest of us sinners......  The river, the flows  and the tribs was where i worshipped.......

Latin "died" hundreds of years ago lol. It's a bit of a stretch to compare a dead language to any current religion. It's not like anyone is going to teach their kids about an ancient religion that nobody practices anymore. Carpentry, Welding, and all that exciting stuff is important, but learning about utilizing critical thinking to understand other perspectives is a lot more important than people think.

Archived