The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Markus Granlund should be given an opportunity to contribute offensively

*Buzzsaw*

Markus Granlund has quietly been contributing like a good soldier... spending his time on checking lines.

He has one of the better +/- ratings on the team despite being matched against other team's offensive lines.

And yet he is up in the higher ranks of the Canucks when it comes to points.

The fact is, we all know he can score.  We all know he is a creative player.  He shows flashes of brilliance at times.  He has a brother who has put up 70 points.

So the question has to be asked... Why are Louie Eriksson and Nikolai Goldobin getting the opportunities to play on the top 2 lines instead of Granlund?

Granlund can play any position... Center, RW or LW.

Goal scoring outside of the top 5 players still needs improvement on this team... why not give Granny an opportunity?

Granlund has been given opportunities to contribute offensively. He's done better this year, but last year his stick was where offensive plays went to die. This year he's been rehabilitating himself from such a poor showing last year, but it will take time. He has already been given time on the first line on multiple nights.

I'd also point out that he'll never be a top line player. He just doesn't have that potential. His top end appears to be that of a bottom-six grinder who can contribute offensively now and then. He's similar to Hansen for me, without the proven pedigree. 

When we're a young team trying to develop forwards, you want to give your player's with potential the chance to flourish - that is why someone like Goldobin is being given more opportunity than Granlund.

Further, the points his brother has put up is irrelevant to what our Granlund can do. Just look at the Gretzky family...

3 minutes ago, Fateless said:

Granlund has been given opportunities to contribute offensively. He's done better this year, but last year his stick was where offensive plays went to die. This year he's been rehabilitating himself from such a poor showing last year, but it will take time. He has already been given time on the first line on multiple nights.

I'd also point out that he'll never be a top line player. He just doesn't have that potential. His top end appears to be that of a bottom-six grinder who can contribute offensively now and then. He's similar to Hansen for me, without the proven pedigree. 

When we're a young team trying to develop forwards, you want to give your player's with potential the chance to flourish - that is why someone like Goldobin is being given more opportunity than Granlund.

Further, the points his brother has put up is irrelevant to what our Granlund can do. Just look at the Gretzky family...

Wrong twice.

- Granlund scored 19 goals playing with a declining top line, (Sedins) over less than 1/2 of the season.

- Eriksson is not a 'forward in development'.

Considering how well Granny is playing, contributing on the PK and shutdown role... you want to change this?

Offensively, he had one good season with the Sedins.  He's never been a 0.5 ppg player in his NHL career, even in his "best" year.  What more can we expect from him?

He's got talent, and I think him getting established in his role now is helpful.  He'll make good use of his ice-time, and will contribute offensively based on the hard work of him and his line-mates.

I can't speak for Granlund, but my guess is that he would prefer contributing to the wins like he is rather than padding his stats.

My sense is Granlund is panning out exactly how the team needed him to pan out so far.  He has been a solid contributor in the bottom-6 and has also been able to play up the line-up when needed (especially right now).  Once the team is healthy, I'm not sure if the Canucks need to keep him in an offensive role.

Granlund's versatility is the main asset that will keep him in the league and it's good to see that he is enjoying a better season after last year's struggles.  He's one of those guys that will probably be able to carve out a depth role and contribute 20-30 points per season while playing defensively responsible hockey with spot duty in an offensive role.  Every team needs those guys who can do it well.

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

Markus Granlund has quietly been contributing like a good soldier... spending his time on checking lines.

He has one of the better +/- ratings on the team despite being matched against other team's offensive lines.

And yet he is up in the higher ranks of the Canucks when it comes to points.

The fact is, we all know he can score.  We all know he is a creative player.  He shows flashes of brilliance at times.  He has a brother who has put up 70 points.

So the question has to be asked... Why are Louie Eriksson and Nikolai Goldobin getting the opportunities to play on the top 2 lines instead of Granlund?

Granlund can play any position... Center, RW or LW.

Goal scoring outside of the top 5 players still needs improvement on this team... why not give Granny an opportunity?

I agree he could be filling ice time occupied by Goldy and Ericksson. We are transitioning and he should be given an opportunity just like everyone else. Throw everything at the wall and see what sticks. Kind of like how the Sedins found a winger year after year. ::D

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Hasn't Granlund been on the top line the last couple of games? 

Twas what I was going to say. He's playing with Bo and Schaller. While Schaller isn't the most offensively talented player he is getting a boat load of ice time. Markus is getting a chance to contribute.

2 hours ago, Fateless said:

Granlund is 25, just 2 1/2 years older than Goldobin. Even strength their ice time per game is really close, but despite 50% more PP time Goldoblin has fewer points and hasn't picked up a single point on the PP. The problem I see is if Goldobin isn't in the top 6 he'd likely be reduced to 4th line as he wouldn't be effective in the shutdown role on the third line or be back in the pressbox. Currently I do think Granny would be the better option on the 2nd line with Pettersson. For that matter I think Virtanen would be a better option the way he's been playing. But the problem is what do you do with Goldy? He could move up with Horvat while Sven is out but it leaves the same dilemma when he returns.

So the only reason I see not to do that is Goldy is more limited in the role he can play than either Granny or Virt. But he's going to need to produce more if he wants to stick there. At 23 this is something of a make or break year for him here. He has to prove he's a top 6 player or he'll be passed by others rather quickly.

Archived