The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protecting our stars (Poll)

vannuck59

Do we need to protect our Stars  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The crowd was blood thirsty after the Boeser hit from behind. It was really late and sneaky no one saw it until the replay on Jumbotron too.

it was too crazy of a game too respond late too I guess.

but the crowd was blood thirsty I'll tell you that. Even when petey got hip checked / hit on the boards (was a clean it) crowd was freaking out, one guy a couple rows in front of me sounded like he was gonna kill him lmao 

lets be thankful Boeser wasn't hurt, but we are going to have to start responding Im not gonna complain though after one of the most exciting games I've ever watched 

6 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

there won't be any change (barring a trade)... Guddy was standing right behind Calvert in our crease after the incident, and nothing... 

just gotta be happy we're winning games

Its not about winning and loosing right now, its about developing our prospects and stars and that is harder to do when the opposition is slapping us around like rag dolls.

We need a Dorsett type player and the team needs to look at themselves and decide when they are going to start standing up for themselves

We don't get away with it, that's the problem.  If the refs did their jobs, we wouldn't have to have this conversation.  THAT'S where the pressure should be....and it's starting. 

Sports talk is starting to call it out and it's not a hidden secret that the league is holding. 

I'd rather the game keep moving toward speed and skill and start addressing the BS that aims to hurt that.  I saw the Av's get a little embarrassed at times and then come back with some lashing out.  The game was physical (a good thing...our team was fine in that department) but crossed over to dirty at times.  That's not fine and if it becomes a free for all, it's really not fine.

But this league...yeah.  Sure.  Nope.  Pick and choose.  See what you want to.

They even used the word "game management" in post game commmentary when talking of the calls (and lack of) last night.  They need to find consistency BEFORE someone gets hurt badly.   Again.

Don't undermine what they did do last night.  The team DID stand up for themselves.  It was a fast physical game and they stood in there just fine and...won.  If they'd gone back at them it might have changed the face of things. 

The refs.  THEY needed to do a better job.

100% we need better physical responsibility. However,  we do not need to be taking a penalty ever time a star gets played hard . In tight games , one powerplay can mean a win or a loss . Teams may not stop cheap shotting even if we have a tough guy. In fact they may try and use that to instigate players into taking penalties and losing their  focus on winning games. 

In summary,  sometimes having a guy that goes after every player that plays ur stars hard actually makes it happen more often . Thats why one of the reasons players like Burrows were so effective.  He goated teams into losing focus on winnjng , and focus on him instead.  

17 minutes ago, R3aL said:

The crowd was blood thirsty after the Boeser hit from behind. It was really late and sneaky no one saw it until the replay on Jumbotron too.

it was too crazy of a game too respond late too I guess.

but the crowd was blood thirsty I'll tell you that. Even when petey got hip checked / hit on the boards (was a clean it) crowd was freaking out, one guy a couple rows in front of me sounded like he was gonna kill him lmao 

lets be thankful Boeser wasn't hurt, but we are going to have to start responding Im not gonna complain though after one of the most exciting games I've ever watched 

Thing is, if he's being targeted AWAY from the play. it's not cool.  Clean hits on a guy who doesn't have the puck aren't always so.  I saw a few of those kinds...and a few cross checks that were sneaky and dirty.  I was part of that blood thirsty crowd because....I'm not willing to lose such a valuable asset to hissy fits from guys who are being undressed by his play out there.  That's what it boils down to...he IS being noticed but where's the respect for the game, itself, with these guys?  They're cheapening it by not keeping it clean.

9 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, if he's being targeted AWAY from the play. it's not cool.  Clean hits on a guy who doesn't have the puck aren't always so.  I saw a few of those kinds...and a few cross checks that were sneaky and dirty.  I was part of that blood thirsty crowd because....I'm not willing to lose such a valuable asset to hissy fits from guys who are being undressed by his play out there.  That's what it boils down to...he IS being noticed but where's the respect for the game, itself, with these guys?  They're cheapening it by not keeping it clean.

I don't disagree - but no one saw that one onBoeser. It's hard to react when you don't see it happen. 

All the players on the ice were looking up to the Jumbotron to see what happened 

i really do want to see a response next time though, cause players are getting no recourse for these late hits and these are the hits that hurt players.

36 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

there won't be any change (barring a trade)... Guddy was standing right behind Calvert in our crease after the incident, and nothing... 

just gotta be happy we're winning games

Thats probably why we won the game . Id rather the respose be to go out and score . That can be a better detereant sometimes . That being said , we cant have it going as far as playes getting injured , which has been happening. Id like to see more pushback to a degree, but after watching the response last night ( winning the game and brock playing harder after the cross check) , id be cautious to suggest we need an overreaction instead. 

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I don't disagree - but no one saw that one onBoeser. It's hard to react when you don't see it happen. 

All the players on the ice were looking up to the Jumbotron to see what happened 

i really do want to see a response next time though, cause players are getting no recourse for these late hits and these are the hits that hurt players.

Oh,  mine was directed at the refs, not the team.  They just have to get these things in check.  Maybe they could start stopping games to look for them if that's what it takes? 

The problem is the league won't review anything because it looks like our team doesn't seem to care when opponents take liberties with the players. When neither the refs, league, our teammates will protect our players who will? It's still very much open season on our team. I heard IMac say the players didn't like being called soft after the Matheson hit, but no one has done anything to lift that stigma. If there's no response to another hit we should start throwing butter at the players. At least it toughens up when it's cold. 

They need more pushback. The game was close last night so I don’t know how it could have been handled after brock was hit.

anyone see the flames avalanche game on Thursday? Cole ran at jankowski. The score was like 4-1. 

18 yr old Bennett jumped in and destroyed cole in a fight. Turning point inthe game. Flames won 6-5.

pushback can turn games around. 

they need a tough kid in the top 9. 

2 minutes ago, Darius said:

They need more pushback. The game was close last night so I don’t know how it could have been handled after brock was hit.

anyone see the flames avalanche game on Thursday? Cole ran at jankowski. The score was like 4-1. 

18 yr old Bennett jumped in and destroyed cole in a fight. Turning point inthe game. Flames won 6-5.

pushback can turn games around. 

they need a tough kid in the top 9. 

How many tough guys do they need?  Roussel and Schaller were brought in for pushback - and before them Gudbranson.  All were playing last night.  Virtanen says he wants to play more physical.

3 minutes ago, mll said:

How many tough guys do they need?  Roussel and Schaller were brought in for pushback - and before them Gudbranson.  All were playing last night.  Virtanen says he wants to play more physical.

If those guys can fill that role that’s great. Just haven’t seen anything yet.  I get it that roussel is coming off a head injury himself.  And to be fair Schaller was in landeskogs ear all night. Just would like to see something immediate after one of the stars is mauled. 

3 minutes ago, Darius said:

If those guys can fill that role that’s great. Just haven’t seen anything yet.  I get it that roussel is coming off a head injury himself.  And to be fair Schaller was in McKinnon’s ear all night. Just would like to see something immediate after one of the stars is mauled. 

Thing is, dirty Avs are still dirty Avs. ...that's what I took away from watching them play last night.  But it hasn't resulted in a "win" for them in two important games. so, perhaps, they need to change their ways?   Rather than teams adjusting accordingly?

Was a different scenario....Flames were getting blown out and frustration obviously sets in and reactions reflect that.  We weren't in that same position. 

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, dirty Avs are still dirty Avs. ...that's what I took away from watching them play last night.  But it hasn't resulted in a "win" for them in two important games. so, perhaps, they need to change their ways?   Rather than teams adjust accordingly?

But it's not just the Avs, it's the panthers, the penguins, the Blackhawks etc... It's not our opponents it's really just us. 

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Thing is, dirty Avs are still dirty Avs. ...that's what I took away from watching them play last night.  But it hasn't resulted in a "win" for them in two important games. so, perhaps, they need to change their thinking/ways?   Rather than teams adjust to theirs?

Could be ... it would also be nice if the friggen Refs did their job. Petterson gets mauled no call. Baer no call. Stecher no call. Brock no call. Ref standing nearby doesn’t call anything. 

Im worried for pettersson. Look at all the attention he is starting to generate. How long before he is the primary focus of rats and pukes? 

Relying on incompetent reffing and the good will of the other team isn’t gonna help. 

Archived