The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Protecting our stars (Poll)

vannuck59

Do we need to protect our Stars  

105 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Have you played hockey?   Things happen very quickly.   That play he was looking for a pass, looks up and instinctively raises his arms.   It happens.    Things don't happen in replay slow motion and you are not just looking from overhead when you play - at ice level a lot is going on and things happen at a pace that very often, you end up running into someone.   Look at number of times teammates crash into each other or a ref.    

I see a pile on happening in this thread as many of you seemingly feel the Canucks are being picked on by other teams and the refs and league are doing nothing to help.    It is unfortunate you are seeing it that way as instead of enjoying one of the truly good NHL stories so far this year and watching your team with focus on the steps it is taking, you are preoccupied with an issue that only exists by viewing bias.    

Are you a mind reader? The question goes both ways, you assume the best intentions for the opposition you seem so sure that all these plays were incidental or accidents. 

The problem is that if these "accidents" keep happening we will have an AHL team iced in no time. 

If we  cheap shot  or dirty hit players I have no problem calling them out. But sitting back and accepting it is just plain silly. 

1 minute ago, DS4quality said:

Are you a mind reader? The question goes both ways, you assume the best intentions for the opposition you seem so sure that all these plays were incidental or accidents. 

The problem is that if these "accidents" keep happening we will have an AHL team iced in no time. 

If we  cheap shot  or dirty hit players I have no problem calling them out. But sitting back and accepting it is just plain silly. 

The game was too close man. I understand that everyone is pissed and wants blood, but this team needs to learn how to close out games first. The team toughness will come in time with woo coming up and hopefully the return of groot. But right now, the team needs to concentrate on how to close out games first.

I don't assume players are trying to hurt each other.   Player is question is not that type of player.   Most of Canuck injuries have NOTHING to do with questionable hits.   Every team has injuries and some of those on every team came from a hit that was not 'ideal' but, like with the Canucks, these happen.

Who is "accepting" anything?   The Canucks dish as much out as they take.   To say otherwise is really missing the game from a bigger perspective.   There are fans of the Flames who think the Canucks play dirty.   There were lots of Penguin and Bolt fans from the last road trip very upset with the way the Canucks played.   Nature of being a fan.   Edler is not injured due to a "dirty" hit.   Tanev is not injured due to a "dirty" hit.  Nilsson is not injured due to a "dirty" hit.   Beagle is not injured due to a "dirty" hit.

The only injuries Canucks have had this year that are due to questionable plays are those on EP40 and Baer.   One ended up with a suspension.   That is pretty good ratio compare to many other teams.   Just no evidence that says Canucks are being "picked on" which this entire thread seems to imply.   

Just now, Isam said:

The game was too close man. I understand that everyone is pissed and wants blood, but this team needs to learn how to close out games first. The team toughness will come in time with woo coming up and hopefully the return of groot. But right now, the team needs to concentrate on how to close out games first.

We ain't gonna have a team by then they'll all be on the IR

Just now, DS4quality said:

Oleksiak is 6-7 244 lbs motte is 5-9  188 lbs what do you think oleksiak thought would happen. 

Uh, "I am bigger and will use that to my advantage"?    Isn't that what Guddy thinks when a smaller guy comes through his area of the ice?   Isn't that what CDC was lighting up with glee when Tryamkin was doing that very thing here a few seasons back? (including some long-term posters above who are now upset when it is the other way).

BTW, you shrunk Motte by an inch and a bunch of pounds.    

Here's the deal...I'm still riding on a high from that game and refuse to tarnish it with talk of the Av's, us sorry sack Canuck fans, etc.

I want to keep talking about the BRILLIANCE that I witnessed last night.  This other stuff detracts from it...so, out now.

Going to the threads where I can gloat about our boys.  We won, they lost...whatever.  Suckas.

9 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

You realize the vast majority of the injuries to Canuck players are by pucks and similar don't you?    When Beagle goes down to block and shot and it breaks his arm, do you seriously think someone should have "dealt" with the player taking the shot?

Injuries happen all the time man and not just through cheap shots. If we send guddy or rousell over the boards at every sleight against this team, then we are going to lose more games then we win and also teach some of youngsters bad habits like it is ok to cost our team the win in a close game as long as we beat the piss out of that one guy.  I would rather have the w and points then have instant gratification at seeing someones face like calvert punched in, because i know the next game they against each other calvert is gonna lit up in the first.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

Here's the deal...I'm still riding on a high from that game and refuse to tarnish it with talk of the Av's, us sorry sack Canuck fans, etc.

I want to keep talking about the BRILLIANCE that I witnessed last night.  This other stuff detracts from it...so, out now.

Going to the threads where I can gloat about our boys.

It was a great game and I am super jealous you were there live and I have watched it on a PVR about six hours after it happened.   Bask in the glow and continue to support the team as someone who has seemingly been positive on them win or lose for a long while.    Sorry if I took away some of the glow - I just get really upset at three things on these boards:

1. People who call any professional hockey player who has attained AHL/NHL level a "plug" or "useless" and all the similar adjectives
  2. People who call any NHL or similar player not "tough"
  3. People who think NHL referees or the league are out to "get" one team over the next.

16 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I don't assume players are trying to hurt each other.   Player is question is not that type of player.   Most of Canuck injuries have NOTHING to do with questionable hits.   Every team has injuries and some of those on every team came from a hit that was not 'ideal' but, like with the Canucks, these happen.

Who is "accepting" anything?   The Canucks dish as much out as they take.   To say otherwise is really missing the game from a bigger perspective.   There are fans of the Flames who think the Canucks play dirty.   There were lots of Penguin and Bolt fans from the last road trip very upset with the way the Canucks played.   Nature of being a fan.   Edler is not injured due to a "dirty" hit.   Tanev is not injured due to a "dirty" hit.  Nilsson is not injured due to a "dirty" hit.   Beagle is not injured due to a "dirty" hit.

The only injuries Canucks have had this year that are due to questionable plays are those on EP40 and Baer.   One ended up with a suspension.   That is pretty good ratio compare to many other teams.   Just no evidence that says Canucks are being "picked on" which this entire thread seems to imply.   

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It was a great game and I am super jealous you were there live and I have watched it on a PVR about six hours after it happened.   Bask in the glow and continue to support the team as someone who has seemingly been positive on them win or lose for a long while.    Sorry if I took away some of the glow - I just get really upset at three things on these boards:

1. People who call any professional hockey player who has attained AHL/NHL level a "plug" or "useless" and all the similar adjectives
  2. People who call any NHL or similar player not "tough"
  3. People who think NHL referees or the league are out to "get" one team over the next.

Great Rob by the way how did you vote in the pole. Just curious 39 votes for the Canucks bringing some toughness 6 say Boeser and Pettersson can look after them selves.

6 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Great Rob by the way how did you vote in the pole. Just curious 39 votes for the Canucks bringing some toughness 6 say Boeser and Pettersson can look after them selves.

Didn't vote.  I think the poll is meaningless as none of the options make sense.   The real answer is "Canucks hit other teams as much as they get hit and their star players get treated no different than other star players in the NHL".

It's not even about retribution, this team turns around at every scrum.  It's been open season on us for a while. The only grit we have has a broken arm. 

Cheap shots will never go away, but they are less likely when there's some deterrent. 

Maroon and Lucic in Edmonton protected McDavid

They can play hockey and prevented things from getting out of hand. McDavid's injury rookie year was the direct result of someone admitting to intentionally hurt him you guessed it Mr clean hockey incidental contact Brandon Manning. After that incident Maroon and Lucic defended and protected McDavid until now really. 

Don't think Lucic is a deterrent? I know not a lot of players wanna mess with him. And I'm sure McDavid appreciates his presence. 

If our players like guddy, schaller, Roussel, were actually deterrents people wouldn't be breaking sticks on players backs, getting launched into the boards from behind or smacked in the back of the head. Even if they don't result in injury you can't ignore near misses. 

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I just don't think they understand how fast the game is Rob...it is understandable

I use to be able to skate with Juniors, and thought I was fast

Then I played against some old NHL vets (40ish)….they put on the throttle and I wasn't there with anymore

I can attest to how quick things happen at ice level......been hit by a pretty small guy, and I am not small, but he did a j turn and ran into my chest

I didn't see him coming, he didn't see me.....it was not good! LOL

Point is, and you know this.....sometimes you don't see the guy coming and are just protecting yourself

Or he alters course half an inch and you don't have time to react, again only time to protect yourself, if you are lucky

But you have to agree there are enough a$$hles out there, at every level!

I actually do not have any problem with the idea of drafting a talented player (who's big, fast, skilled, has a little edge and can take care of him self) . B.Tkachuk in Ottawa comes to mind, but those types of players are far and few between, and there is very little room in this NHL to have a Semenko on the ice, or taking up a spot on the bench, it just isn't possible anymore, or at least not a good idea.

The games too fast today, development too important, and cap space too small, to have one to just police. Which is why a lot of enforcers have just left the game

1 hour ago, Isam said:

You do know we won, right?  I'd call that closing it out.

7 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

You do know we won, right?  I'd call that closing it out.

Yeah we did and i am stoked. But we still have to prove to the rest of the league that we can do it on consistent basis over the basis of a season. That takes time time to learn, but we are getting there.  That is more important right now then getting  revenge. The team toughness factor will get better as we get better. 

48 minutes ago, DS4quality said:

It's not even about retribution, this team turns around at every scrum.  It's been open season on us for a while. The only grit we have has a broken arm. 

Cheap shots will never go away, but they are less likely when there's some deterrent. 

Maroon and Lucic in Edmonton protected McDavid

They can play hockey and prevented things from getting out of hand. McDavid's injury rookie year was the direct result of someone admitting to intentionally hurt him you guessed it Mr clean hockey incidental contact Brandon Manning. After that incident Maroon and Lucic defended and protected McDavid until now really. 

Don't think Lucic is a deterrent? I know not a lot of players wanna mess with him. And I'm sure McDavid appreciates his presence. 

If our players like guddy, schaller, Roussel, were actually deterrents people wouldn't be breaking sticks on players backs, getting launched into the boards from behind or smacked in the back of the head. Even if they don't result in injury you can't ignore near misses. 

You are not watching objectively Sport.   The Canuck "deterrents" do just as much as Lucic and others.   IN spades.   McDavid gets hit just as much as Canuck star players.   Watch any game that McDavid or Crosby plays - they are great at avoiding but they do get hit, slashed, cross-checked and even by your saintly Canucks.   

You are only seeing the game through one side of the game.   I guess there is nothing wrong with that but to other fan bases you come across as pretty hypocritical given the number of times even this year a Canuck player has taken a liberty with another team's player.    It happens in EVERY game.   

Archived