The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Could The Playoffs Be Possible and Is That A Good Thing Right Now?

TheGuardian_

Just really impressed by the team, especially Pettersson and Boeser. The goaltending has been very good. And they're still winning games with all of the injuries. Imagine once everyone is healthy (if that happens). Beagle and Sutter add great defensive play, faceoffs and on the pk. Edler and Tanev would really improve the D. But can't take away the great job players like Motte, Gaunce, Roussel, Gaudette, Pouliot and Biega have done to fill in. I hope they can find a way to keep Motte and Gaudette in the lineup, even if there are no injuries. Maybe a line of:  PETTERSSON - GAUDETTE - BOESER could be interesting. I'm not holding my breath though.

The Canucks are playing hard for 3 periods, there is no quit. They're a younger, faster team. Pettersson is a phenom who, according to one of the hockey panel (Doug MacLean?), 'might be too good for this league'. lol Really love that Pettersson and Boeser are clicking. That's 2/3 of an awesome 1st line right there. I'm loving the early success, but I wonder if some of it has to do with other teams not really knowing how to play the Canucks anymore. Previously, they targeted the Sedins and that took away most of the offence. Now, they`ve got an onslaught of Pettersson, Boeser, Virtanen and Gaudette to contend with. Plus, the Canucks are no longer push-overs. Guys like Horvat, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, Gudbranson and Motte make this team tougher to play against. 

1 hour ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

As much as I love seeing this team winning games I have zero delusions that they will more likely than not not make the playoffs.  That being said, JB has shown it doesnt matter where you draft, you just have to draft well.  The team is showing it has a good core of young players and regardless of where they end up draft wise they'll try to compliment that group.  

If the Canucks can become a winning team with their current stable of players why wouldnt you want that?  And I think most people agree they are going to keep getting better as younger players keep developing.

I've been saying since the off season that this team would be fighting for a wild card spot by the end of the season, but just missing the playoffs. This was when I was being cautiously optimistic about Pettersson. But with that said, I still feel like they will be fighting for a wild card spot at the end of the year, but Pettersson might put them over the top. I'm fine either way as there will be decent picks in the middle of the rounds anyway.

1 hour ago, Slegr said:

We have enough draft talent now. Any more superstar picks in the couple years and we’ll exceed cap. Late picks and smart trades can round this team out for years. 

The time is now to start making the playoffs. Ships take a while to turn around, you don’t just snap fingers and start winning. Playoffs this year is a step in the right direction.

We don't have to be like the Toronto media and start suggesting the rebuild is over. The playoffs doesn't have to be now. I'm seeing progress and that's all we should expect regardless of playoffs or not. Although playoffs are looking more and more of a reality after some dark times.

1 hour ago, TheGuardian_ said:

That was a fluke, just about all the scouting reports had him ranked 23 to 26 so he was drafted in his ranking position. The scouts had it wrong, late round picks are not as impactful as top 3 to 7 picks, there is a lot less success the later the pick. There are "exceptions".

Boeser at the Canucks pick, a monkey could have done that he was just next the list.

If the draft was redone he would move up the list quite a bit but not likely into the top 7.

The top ten that year have been outstanding and most are already cornerstones on successful franchises.

McDavid, Eichel, Marner, Barzol, Rantanen, Provorov, Werenski,

Now drafting a guy like Tryamkin looks to be is a steal

What does it being a fluke or not have anything to do with it? The point is that there are good players to be had as long as the right choice is made from who's available. Therefore if we make the playoffs or not, as long as the scouting department has done their homework, they should be able to pick out the BPA on their list which hopefully turns out the indeed be the BPA on the board at the time and also hopefully surpass those picked above that chosen player.

If the Canucks make the playoffs it will be on the shoulders of Petterson and that would make him a generational player, like McDavid and Crosby. Personally, I think he looks like Datsyuk but even more skilled offensively which is scary if he isn't on your team. He didn't play with us last year so us getting Hughes the last draft is a big bonus and we drafted Boeser 23rd overall so we have shown the ability to draft further back.

How many times have drafted first or second overall repeatedly and still can't make the playoffs? Tampa keeps drafting at the end of the first round and picking studs... Not to mention this year's draft Jack Hughes doesn't look all that impressive. Then on top of all that any team that misses the playoffs can win a top 3 pick so who really cares... We make the playoffs or not we have Pettersson who looks like he is going to be the 2nd best if not the best player in the league.

FYI, I thought Datsyuk was the best player in the league. I would have taken him over Crosby.

TBH no matter what happens we win this year.

The seasons already a success we have seen what it can be in the near future. We now have hope.

Winning culture is important and our kids are all winners. 

If we are in the playoff race come spring that will be a great experience for the team and a fun ride for us the fans. 

If we start losing more then winning but continue having exciting hockey games and finishing Boltom 5 fans will still support the team and believe in our exciting future. 

Luckily this years draft is really deep so even if we narrowly miss the playoffs we will still get a really high end prospect. 

We have nothing to lose but to enjoy the games and see how things go.

Going to be a great ride Canucks nation!

If we are in a playoff spot after 40 games then yes playoffs are good =) if I learned anything from the past few years it's enjoy the moments when we win. Every team has their up's and downs. I'm still expecting us to come down to earth but my Homer side says EP will keep us top 3 in pacific. 

1 hour ago, theo5789 said:

Depends which vets you're talking about. I see more value long term in keeping guys like Edler and Tanev for example playoffs or not (unless of course the return would be unreal and with the assumption we would be extending them rather than letting them walk). But I would still move guys like Del Zotto if there's a market for him, but it would be hard to justify for a playoff team to be offloading depth and guys that got them to the playoffs.

I'd be perfectly happy (should he be willing to waive his NTC) to move Edler at the TDL (and ideally, re-sign him in the summer) regardless of what kind of playoff position we're in. Of course he's perfectly within his rights (and perhaps most likely) to not waive as well.

Management has stated numerous times that they're well aware of where the organization is and that the future of the team is their primary concern. They've also stated numerous times that they'll do everything in their power to get value for expiring vets where possible.

Again, this team's playoff hopes (either now or in the future) will depend on youth, not vets (not that guys like Edler can't be a solid contributors in those efforts).

3 hours ago, canuckster19 said:

We got Boeser at 23rd didn't we?

You are correct, in the 2015 Mcdavid draft year. As well as the last year we made the playoffs. 

I am excited but holding expectations just yet. With so many injuries I don’t know how sustainable this great start can keep it up. If we are in the hunt after New Years I will be more optimistic about our chances. Plenty of games to play still. But wow that was the most exciting back and forth live game I have ever witnessed. The arena was loud and proud of what is growing. I am also pretty happy the draft is in Vancouver so I wouldn’t mind landing one more top 10,5 or just maybe a lottery pick. That would seal the rebuild in my opinion(as long as Benning gets a few more picks).

Thing that blows me away out of this rebuild is that we have done it in spite of getting screwed each and every time in getting a top 3 pick. That’s something management can definitely be proud of.

4 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

With LA tanking or at least injured, old and horrible right now, that is one position closer to a playoff spot. Anaheim is somewhat questionable as is Vegas.

It is still really way too early yet to tell but that makes it a 5 team competition for the top 3 divisional spots and a 5 team competition for the remaining 2 wild card spots if not a divisional, that might be doable with a little work and if EP keeps it up, a playoff berth might/may be more than a possibility.

So it could be a good thing if a playoff spot is the overall goal. Good for the fans, the owner but the goal of a cup with come cap certainty?

I could be a bad thing as well due to numerous factors.

Leaving the lottery reduces the chances to get players like EP or Horvat.

With the CBA and potential lockout on the horizon, if the NHL reverts to past practices, two more poor seasons could result in an extra (2021) top 7 selection and 3 more top 7 picks should almost guarantee a decade of cup contention and maybe a couple at that. There will be teams looking to trade 2 bad years for up to 4 top 7 picks, 3 picks for sure.

Making the show right now might mean being stuck in the middle, the upper middle, but still like "kissing your sister", years/decade of "almost there".

It is conflicting right now, it is great to see EP, Horvat, Boeser, Virtanen, Goldy and a little bit Gaudette bloom but the D is nowhere close, it needs 3 more players and OJ can't crack/make this group no matter his 3 years of development. Groot, maybe, Hughes, he is just so small for NHL playoffs.

In the few games so far it is great to see possibilities for the future but short terms gains in the standings at this juncture in exchange for a mere 2 more lottery years and even longer term certainty/plan of cup contention?

It is not JUST the regular season. I cheer when I see those young kids being so successful and cringe if management figure the job is done.

This looks like a quote that you may regret very soon.

NHL playoffs are rough but skilled and smart players like Hughes will find a way to get things done.

The last time we made playoffs, it got us Boeser. If we make the playoffs this season, then I think that's great. We may get a very good player once again.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just really impressed by the team, especially Pettersson and Boeser. The goaltending has been very good. And they're still winning games with all of the injuries. Imagine once everyone is healthy (if that happens). Beagle and Sutter add great defensive play, faceoffs and on the pk. Edler and Tanev would really improve the D. But can't take away the great job players like Motte, Gaunce, Roussel, Gaudette, Pouliot and Biega have done to fill in. I hope they can find a way to keep Motte and Gaudette in the lineup, even if there are no injuries. Maybe a line of:  PETTERSSON - GAUDETTE - BOESER could be interesting. I'm not holding my breath though.

The Canucks are playing hard for 3 periods, there is no quit. They're a younger, faster team. Pettersson is a phenom who, according to one of the hockey panel (Doug MacLean?), 'might be too good for this league'. lol Really love that Pettersson and Boeser are clicking. That's 2/3 of an awesome 1st line right there. I'm loving the early success, but I wonder if some of it has to do with other teams not really knowing how to play the Canucks anymore. Previously, they targeted the Sedins and that took away most of the offence. Now, they`ve got an onslaught of Pettersson, Boeser, Virtanen and Gaudette to contend with. Plus, the Canucks are no longer push-overs. Guys like Horvat, Roussel, Beagle, Virtanen, Gudbranson and Motte make this team tougher to play against. 

Hopefully, Dahlen can join them on the first line in a season. 

But it does leave the second line pretty weak. The winger options for Bo are Baertschi, Granlund, and Goldobin at the moment. It's good enough for now but probably not good enough to compete with the best teams of the NHL.

Didn't expect Motte to be this effective of a player. I remember the media and the fans bashing JB for not getting a draft pick for Vanek when that trade was made. Wanting a draft pick over an NHL player lol.

Our bottom 6 is making the team really difficult to play against indeed. Virtanen, Motte, Gaudette, Beagle, Schaller, Roussel, Sutter. 

This new core is really going to be exciting.

2 hours ago, peaches5 said:

If the Canucks make the playoffs it will be on the shoulders of Petterson and that would make him a generational player, like McDavid and Crosby. Personally, I think he looks like Datsyuk but even more skilled offensively which is scary if he isn't on your team. He didn't play with us last year so us getting Hughes the last draft is a big bonus and we drafted Boeser 23rd overall so we have shown the ability to draft further back.

How many times have drafted first or second overall repeatedly and still can't make the playoffs? Tampa keeps drafting at the end of the first round and picking studs... Not to mention this year's draft Jack Hughes doesn't look all that impressive. Then on top of all that any team that misses the playoffs can win a top 3 pick so who really cares... We make the playoffs or not we have Pettersson who looks like he is going to be the 2nd best if not the best player in the league.

FYI, I thought Datsyuk was the best player in the league. I would have taken him over Crosby.

Still can't believe we got lucky with Hughes falling to us. This is the kind of defenceman that has always found a way to fall in the draft to other teams but always getting scooped up before falling to us. I think JB is our lucky charm. Since JB took over, our drafting has been great and we have been lucky. Sure, we didn't win any first overall picks but in 2017, you might as well say that we did. In 2015, Boeser dropped to us. 2018 Hughes with Montreal wanting a center and Arizona going a bit off the board.

Jack Hughes is being compared to Patrick Kane. I think EP ruined Canucks fans expectation when it comes to the prospects: if you are not a generational talent, then you suck. Sure, Hughes may not be as good as EP but if he pans out as Patrick Kane, then that's like three time Stanley cup champion who scores clutch goals. Wouldn't he look greatly beside EP-Boeser or lining up on the 2nd line with Bo?

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

We don't have to be like the Toronto media and start suggesting the rebuild is over. The playoffs doesn't have to be now. I'm seeing progress and that's all we should expect regardless of playoffs or not. Although playoffs are looking more and more of a reality after some dark times.

a rebuild should never be "over".  If you have a front office who can draft well, once you get a good pipeline established, there should be a continual cycle of moving vets out and bringing youth in.

I want us to tank for Jack Hughes but i suppose winning isn't too bad. 

also, SJ is off to a slow/bad start and EK has 0 goals. Maybe he sees the EP40 show and decides to take his talents to Vancity on July 1st and join the movement. :P

I have no idea how people are still on “team tank”.

Every example we have shows that it doesn’t work.   Even if you get remarkably lucky, the salary structure has changed and you only have 3 years before you are paying market rate for your players.  There used to be a cheap post ELC period where you got an RFA discount.

Now you have a very short window to leverage a top ELC player and surround them to be able to win.

We have what appears to be a 1C, a 2C, a legitimate top line winger, a couple top goalie prospects, and a young top pairing D prospect.

This is the time to start getting better.  It takes 2-3 years of adding and tweaking to get the right complementary pieces that get you longer playoff runs.

You want to be in a position when a guy like Petterson’s contract is up that you have had some incremental success and can see being a contender in a really short period.  That is how you manage not to overpay him just to sign long term.

Getting into the playoffs and even winning a round would be the best possible thing to happen.  It would probably shave off at least half a million on what we have to pay Boeser as well.  Guys want to win, positive team atmospheres get forged from winning... especially in the playoffs.

51 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

You are correct, in the 2015 Mcdavid draft year. As well as the last year we made the playoffs. 

I am excited but holding expectations just yet. With so many injuries I don’t know how sustainable this great start can keep it up. If we are in the hunt after New Years I will be more optimistic about our chances. Plenty of games to play still. But wow that was the most exciting back and forth live game I have ever witnessed. The arena was loud and proud of what is growing. I am also pretty happy the draft is in Vancouver so I wouldn’t mind landing one more top 10,5 or just maybe a lottery pick. That would seal the rebuild in my opinion(as long as Benning gets a few more picks).

Thing that blows me away out of this rebuild is that we have done it in spite of getting screwed each and every time in getting a top 3 pick. That’s something management can definitely be proud of.

it's all going to rest on Marky and Nilsson.  We're seeing that if they get dependable, trustworthy goaltending, then they can play the aggressive style that has been successful thus far.  If the goaltending slides, they're in a tight spot.

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I have no idea how people are still on “team tank”.

Every example we have shows that it doesn’t work.   Even if you get remarkably lucky, the salary structure has changed and you only have 3 years before you are paying market rate for your players.  There used to be a cheap post ELC period where you got an RFA discount.

Now you have a very short window to leverage a top ELC player and surround them to be able to win.

We have what appears to be a 1C, a 2C, a legitimate top line winger, a couple top goalie prospects, and a young top pairing D prospect.

This is the time to start getting better.  It takes 2-3 years of adding and tweaking to get the right complementary pieces that get you longer playoff runs.

You want to be in a position when a guy like Petterson’s contract is up that you have had some incremental success and can see being a contender in a really short period.  That is how you manage not to overpay him just to sign long term.

Getting into the playoffs and even winning a round would be the best possible thing to happen.  It would probably aha e off at least half a million on what we have to pay Boeser as well.  Guys want to win, positive team atmospheres get forged from winning... especially in the playoffs.

exactly

more often than not it takes 2-3 tries in the playoffs, at least, to get to the actual true contender spot.  They need to start winning and getting that experience as soon as possible.

Archived