The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Matt Calvert - the guy that gooned Boeser

Ray_Cathode

It should have been a two minute penalty. 

Compare the worst of the guys playing now to Chris Chelios who cheap shotted  someone every time he stepped on the ice and especially after every whistle. Hell, compare them to Pronger. 

The game is cleaner now. I am all for cracking down on head shots and boarding but it is a fast violent game and needs to stay that way. 

21 hours ago, luckylager said:

Seems like a few teams have an eye on him. It's just a matter of time before someone goes out of their way to teach him a lesson if the league keeps ignoring his cheap, behind the play crap.

If the league wants to keep players from policing each other on the ice, they need to implement some sort warning system for cheap crap that was missed during play.

If they can stop a game to check a number, they should be able to follow up after a game to check for things too.    To at least follow up and issue a bit of a warning that "we saw what you did" and put them on notice.  If they REALLY want to clean up the game.

21 hours ago, chon derry said:

I cant see corn on the cob in his diet   long term. 

Cream of everything soup.

20 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

So when Burrows was with Canucks and speared players, like this below, and didn't get a penalty you were all up in arms too?   When Guddy cross-checks people it upsets you and you want the league to "do something"?

You were happy Guddy got called for this hit that could have ended a career?   Worse than hit on EP40 don't you think?

Here's what you're missing, Zepp.  I don't give a rat's behind about "other teams"...that's their fan's job. 

And if they're pissed, that's their deal...I'm sure they were.  Doesn't mean I can't be (too) when someone does a dirty on my team.  You keep expecting us to go through a process where we say "oh well, it's happened before to others...I accept it then"...I don't.  

There are no double standards involved..when we dish it out, I understand if fans on the other side scream about it.  But I'm not joining them. 

We take some and we give some.  But if one our top prospects is taken out on a dirty play....no, I won't be silent because something else has happened in the past.   It all needs to stop if this league is serious about eliminating potential for serious injury that is preventable.   And that's not wrong, if even by your standard

You're using words like "happy"...I'm never happy when a player is hurt (except maybe a Bruin).    PC is so over rated though and perhaps zombies can watch the game as you'd like, but I'm a human being and passionate about this game and my team.  Emotions do factor in and what is "logical" in relation to comparisons to other fans really doesn't interest me.  I'm all about THIS team.  I'm not suggesting "just" to clean up on the Canuck's behalf...I'd like it to be more consistent league wide.  It's just not my deal to rally for other teams, I have enough on my plate just trying to get justice for this one.

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

OK, apparently as you are the judge of all things I guess you are right.      

Anyway, as you have spoken as the judge I guess that seals it.  

This stuff, here, is crap.

You've presented your "opinion" and now it's acceptable for others to do the same.  Nothing "seals" it...it's a discussion board and that's sort of the point (to offer opinions back/forth).

20 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I'm way past senility, my eyes are so old my distance vision has come back, sex isn't even a memory, and booze doesn't make me feel any different from normal.  On the other hand, my fingers have become so enormous I can never hit the right keys, even if I could remember which ones I should hit to complete the last half of any given sentence.

giphy.gif

The best the fans can do is openly criticize league discipline until it changes.  Physicians have moved the league a long way to taking out headshots.  Fans have to decide what they like more, fast, hard, clean hockey or rat work - are they really that entertained by watching Crosby getting elbowed in the face, oe Pettersson body slammed, or do they prefer the kind of hockey those kind of players can play?

21 hours ago, riffraff said:

So you’re comparing that to a direct cross check to the expose lower back kidney area when Boeser is not in possession of the puck.  And I know you’re experienced enough to know that all players would be aware of brocks injury from last year......

sorry rob I really think you’re comparisons are a stretch.

and anyway I’m not sure you’re argument anyway.  I never said Canucks aren’t capable of dishing out crosschecks and the like.  My point is and has been since ep was injured:  that there has been no pushback response from the team after players have been cheapshotted and injured to the point of missing games.  You’re creating an argument that I’m not even angling towards.

i already addressed that there have been players on this roster that have embarrassed me at times with their decisions.

i didn’t play cheap.  I don’t play cheap and I’ve never respected anyone who continually plays that way.

manning and Calvert are repeat cheap shot artists.....you’re comparing players like GudBranson and virtanen to these players.....really?

at least I mentioned legitimate players from Canuck history that are worthy of criticism.

Why are you sorry???    Anyway, I don't disagree that Calvert is not an "angel" but I still say you don't see the things Canucks do that are similar.   I am a Canuck fan.   Period.   I just don't think they get mistreated or worse officiating etc. than any other team in the league.  They have as many players who take "liberties" as any other team and they get calls missed just in the same way as well.   

We are both fans of the team.   Can we agree on that?   

18 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Hey, looking at the Guddy clip, he got a penalty - a five minute major.  And he deserved it.  There should have been supplemental discipline every time Burrows speared somebody.  He deserved that.  But then so did every SOB that cross checked the Sedins, and the two are related.  But what is also significant is the careful selectivity of the NHL in its enforcement on the ice and in the unforgiving light of considered discipline, or should I say, the  deliberate  application of selective justice.

Do you really believe the NHL has it out for the Canucks?   

Just now, Rob_Zepp said:

there are certainly a small handful of veteran ref's that do, there's no doubt about that. I don't know if other cities have similar issues. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

there are certainly a small handful of veteran ref's that do, there's no doubt about that. I don't know if other cities have similar issues. 

I spent a year in Toronto during the Clark era... and yes the league was against the Leafs winning anything! Worked in Alberta for a few years... and yes both Oiler and Lames fans think the same :)

3 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I’m just pointing out non-calls and at other times comparing them with calls made.  The worst thing that one could allege is that the process is entirely arbitrary.  But if it is not arbitrary, what is it?

10 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

If they can stop a game to check a number, they should be able to follow up after a game to check for things too.    To at least follow up and issue a bit of a warning that "we saw what you did" and put them on notice.  If they REALLY want to clean up the game.

Cream of everything soup.

Here's what you're missing, Zepp.  I don't give a rat's behind about "other teams"...that's their fan's job. 

And if they're pissed, that's their deal...I'm sure they were.  Doesn't mean I can't be (too) when someone does a dirty on my team.  You keep expecting us to go through a process where we say "oh well, it's happened before to others...I accept it then"...I don't.  

There are no double standards involved..when we dish it out, I understand if fans on the other side scream about it.  But I'm not joining them. 

We take some and we give some.  But if one our top prospects is taken out on a dirty play....no, I won't be silent because something else has happened in the past.   It all needs to stop if this league is serious about eliminating potential for serious injury that is preventable.   And that's not wrong, if even by your standard

You're using words like "happy"...I'm never happy when a player is hurt (except maybe a Bruin).    PC is so over rated though and perhaps zombies can watch the game as you'd like, but I'm a human being and passionate about this game and my team.  Emotions do factor in and what is "logical" in relation to comparisons to other fans really doesn't interest me.  I'm all about THIS team.  I'm not suggesting "just" to clean up on the Canuck's behalf...I'd like it to be more consistent league wide.  It's just not my deal to rally for other teams, I have enough on my plate just trying to get justice for this one.

Wow.   Thanks for reading my mind and telling me what I am thinking.   When have I said it is acceptable?    What you and others seem to be missing is the team does take care of things.   A few of you seem to think somehow the Canucks are treated differently by other teams and by officials than any other team and that the players on the Canucks do not do enough to address on ice transgressions.   

I am a Canuck fan too.   I just find the rhetoric that somehow the Canucks are treated unfairly by "the league" something kids would invoke.   I am not asking for anyone to like it when a player gets a dirty hit - I sure don't like it at all.   However, I do know that between the players themselves and the league, I find on balance the Canucks and the rest tend to balance out just fine.   No question better officiating would benefit hockey but it isn't bad just for the Canucks....even if that is all you care about, I sure you cannot think it is biased against your team and your team alone.  

Now you have changed your tune to wanting better and more consistent officiating - I am all there on that one too.    That is far different than where the thread started.

2 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I’m just pointing out non-calls and at other times comparing them with calls made.  The worst thing that one could allege is that the process is entirely arbitrary.  But if it is not arbitrary, what is it?

No question NHL could have better officiating but you didn't answer the question - do you think the Canucks get it worse than any other team or do you think it is equally good or bad across the NHL?   

Archived