The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings fire head coach John Stevens; Willie Desjardins named interim head coach

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

This is a $&!#ty job because the Kings are at the start of a long and painful slide.

At the same time, it is an NHL head coaching gig, and there aren’t many of those.

AV must have said no, he is one of the best coaches in the league and can pick his spot a little better.

AV's end of season presser with NYR was terrible.  Not a lot of accountability - seemed to blame everyone but himself.  Even threw in a reference to Vancouver talking about how they went through 3 coaches since he got fired without going past the 1st round.  

31 minutes ago, Provost said:

That makes no sense.  A veteran team isn’t going to give a crap what a low status coach is going to say.

That sort of team needs a veteran coach who has a track record to force his will on players 

Torts already has a job

Seriously though, Alain Vigneault's still available.

With the kind of roster that they have, I would've thought AV was the obvious choice. The "play vets over less experienced".

1 hour ago, gurn said:

so Willie is now a two time NHL head coach. Wonder if those Team's Gms know a bit more about hockey than many CDC posters?

Mike Milbury was an NHL GM.

Doug MacLean was an NHL GM and Coach.

So no.

1). Trade for Chaput and Megna out of Montreal and Washington.

2). Bring back Liden Vey from the KHL.

3). The line of Vey-Chaput-Megna will be their new 1st line. Kopitar will have to settle with 2nd line minutes behind Chaput.

Jokes aside, wish Willie the best of luck. He have zero depth on the team since his first year with the Canucks and it forced him to run with plugs like Megna and Chaput. To me, I think if he is given a decent roster, he can be a good coach. Although I still hate the Kings so much from 2012.

25 minutes ago, mll said:

AV's end of season presser with NYR was terrible.  Not a lot of accountability - seemed to blame everyone but himself.  Even threw in a reference to Vancouver talking about how they went through 3 coaches since he got fired without going past the 1st round.  

He did that even in his time here. There'd be somebody thrown under the bus if it wasn't quite going nice.

Vigneault is a fraud who crapped horseshoes into two of the best goalies of all time right at the peak of their prime. One of the lizards in tank in Stanley Park could have coached that 2011 team.

But, he was 'funny', so people liked him for that. It is what it is.

Oh, don't forget Vigneault's trademark: image.png.53be52f14cd1daaf62779d94f7b5621e.png

I'm so much happier with what we have now. Win or lose.

There are players coaches & there are players coaches.

Its a bit over discussed that he over relied on the Twins. The team was theirs as far as Willie was concerned. Who grew to slow trips back to bench. In situations in their heyday, where they would have sucked it up and back checked. In any case, we needed more use of Horvat, Baer offensively. Several or most guys, Hutton, Edler in particular even Tanev regressed Willie's last year. It might have been injuries, but Gudbrandson never found his place. Only Stecher  and Horvat made strides under Willie his last year.  Maybe he was just too soft on the team?

Then there were incidences, I have my own opinion, its just that, that he catered to some players. Prust was becoming a disappointment.  Was going to be a healthy scratch in New York, his past team. But threw a fit it was reported, and was then inserted in the line up. I believe for Jake? I saw that as the beginning of the end if such stories were making there way to the media. Those things don't make their way to the media unless guys inside the room are unhappy with how things are being dealt with. 

I had much fewer concerns tactically, or strategically than some about his coaching. He improved our team quite a bit when he arrived. But could not maintain it. 30 years in junior, he as all do, have more command and control over younger players. Handling bigger ego's & more scrutiny I believe he lost the room.

And with young guys? Professional messages never were received properly by guys like Jake, McCann, Tryamkin. Where young and old have accepted critical coaching regarding a need & how to improve from Green. I found that odd even when he first left. He was a guy who's reputation was that he developed young players in Dallas & junior. 

Since he has been on the Olympic team, and had time to cool down and reflect. Maybe he will have a handle on ego's in LA?

LA is a tough gig by the way! Lots of divisive personalities.

Poughty is a world class ego. Its reported more than one a few cocaine coyboys were rumoured a factor in mercurial changes in performances on Hollywood Blvd. Resulted in going from being a champion to out of the play off's. And then back when they decided to take it seriously again? Was it Jaret Stoll who was arrested with ecstasy & coke in Vegas. Mike Richards commercial quantities of opiode pain killers. Voynov the old school ''man'' of the family. I guess he wont be back in LA if he gets reinstated? When ex King Brad Richardson arrived here, he schooled Kassian on how to be a better pro. Dwell on that for a second? Even the year they won their first title, they fired a coach and brought in Sutter. A disciplinarian, iron fist type coach. 

And they have much if not all the same leadership group. Doughty, Kopitar, Brown, Carter, Trevor Lewis is still there. Considering the ups and downs I believe they have had too much patience with their core. As good as Doughty is when he is on, I would not have invested a swiss bank on him. 

I suppose Wiilie started by getting our group to overachieve? :wacko: 

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why "interim"? was he with them already? 

Good for Wilbrod. And good for us, we're no longer responsible for killing his career. 

Huh? Interim coach as in he is the coach of the team in the interim until they make a longterm decision in the future.

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

Huh? Interim coach as in he is the coach of the team in the interim until they make a longterm decision in the future.

doesn't seem like much of a commitment but I suppose its a good chance for him to get something longer term. 

Archived