The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings fire head coach John Stevens; Willie Desjardins named interim head coach

I just saw this.  The Kings actually won yesterday?  I think they want JH.

I missed this part - another ex-Canuck involved:

Assistant coach Don Nachbaur was also fired. Nachbaur will be replaced by former NHL player Marco Sturm, who is the current coach and general manager of the German national team

19 minutes ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

he was a terrible coach. anyone with a basic understanding of hockey knows this,   i cant wait to see the line changes and player deployment he does with LA this is going to be so good

Terrible coaches don't win the Calder Cup, Spengler Cup, 2 WHL championships, and Bronze Medals in the Olympics. 

Was he amazing? No. But he's not a terrible coach. 

Willie might not be a terrible coach but if you are looking for in-game or strategy adjustments (which are usually needed to win in the play-offs) he's not the guy.  I think it's fair to say Hartley out-coached him in the play-offs because all Willie did was literally "roll 4 lines".

23 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Terrible coaches don't win the Calder Cup, Spengler Cup, 2 WHL championships, and Bronze Medals in the Olympics. 

Was he amazing? No. But he's not a terrible coach. 

He's a very structured basics coach. Not a NHL coach in any sense of the word....Tom Renney was like that too...

23 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

Willie might not be a terrible coach but if you are looking for in-game or strategy adjustments (which are usually needed to win in the play-offs) he's not the guy.  I think it's fair to say Hartley out-coached him in the play-offs because all Willie did was literally "roll 4 lines".

hartley pulled his pants down and spanked him every game with strategy and adjustments mid game.   willie is the coach you keep on the career farm team not bring to the big leauge...  look at who his mentor ruff, lindy ruff another second place coach

1 hour ago, Cali Canuck said:

When you add in that he couldn't even set a lineup correctly, insisting on playing useless trash like Megna on the first line, it's a wonder he got another look.  Rolling 4 lines can be effective if the coach can actually be trusted to put together lines that make sense to someone who is sober.

Good to see a division rival hire that idiot.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

When you add in that he couldn't even set a lineup correctly, insisting on playing useless trash like Megna on the first line, it's a wonder he got another look.  Rolling 4 lines can be effective if the coach can actually be trusted to put together lines that make sense to someone who is sober.

That is an oversimplification at best, he had a few shifts with the Sedins when injuries piled up for a pair of games. His toi avg was 12:26 under Willie and only due to the piling up of injuries. 

Megna is not useless trash he's just a depth forward and an ok depth forward at that. 

5 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I think it’s a great situation for Willie. The team is full of veterans so he won’t be pressured to play the youth. And they really can’t get any worse can they?

5 hours ago, mll said:

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

The only thing that might help WD is if he can amend his coaching style after having been away from the game for a year now.

if he can’t adjust then LA is getting an old timer coach not fit for today’s NHL.

Good luck Willie, prove us wrong!

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

That is an oversimplification at best, he had a few shifts with the Sedins when injuries piled up for a pair of games. His toi avg was 12:26 under Willie and only due to the piling up of injuries. 

Megna is not useless trash he's just a depth forward and an ok depth forward at that. 

He had no business being on an NHL roster, even with injuries.  He won't hit, he can't score, he doesn't play great defense.  He didn't do anything to suggest he had any hope of not embarrass himself out there and Willie kept playing the bum.

2 hours ago, burrardstreetbullies said:

he was a terrible coach. anyone with a basic understanding of hockey knows this,   i cant wait to see the line changes and player deployment he does with LA this is going to be so good

his stubbornness used to drive me crazy......never been so frustrated with a coach

Interesting move by the kings. Like a few have already said, the Kings needed someone to blame for the their bad start. This is just masking the real underlying issues that will haunt this club. Like an old and declining club (Quicks knees are failing him as well). All the best Willie, first Olympic bronze last winter now a new coach gig this coming winter. Everything is coming up REAL GUDD for the Stashman! 

73C5476D-2725-4910-AD73-416D3EA23866.jpeg

25 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

He had no business being on an NHL roster, even with injuries.  He won't hit, he can't score, he doesn't play great defense.  He didn't do anything to suggest he had any hope of not embarrass himself out there and Willie kept playing the bum.

That's false he's a fine depth player. Nothing more nothing less. 

Archived