The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings fire head coach John Stevens; Willie Desjardins named interim head coach

11 minutes ago, 6string said:

Wasn't John Stevens on the short list and a fave choice here in this room when Desjardins was hired ( if memory serves me...)

The Kings are now beginning the reshuffling of the deck on the Titanic.

You are correct he was on Mike Gillis’s list after AV got fired. FA wanted Torts and so we went with him instead and the rest is history. 

7 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I don't think coaching's their problem.

7 hours ago, City-in-state-of-emergency said:

It is now.

Even though I don't necessarily agree with the seemingly universal condemnation of WD on here... ...I couldn't help but spit up my beer when I read that one.

happy for WD. Deserves another shot.  Green is good, but last yr he also showed what poor depth and injuries can do.  Coaching can only go so far.

We all him and green to them to thank for drafting high, and JB and co for getting BB, EP, Hughes. 

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

You are correct he was on Mike Gillis’s list after AV got fired. FA wanted Torts and so we went with him instead and the rest is history. 

Thanks for clearing that up, I was on the Torts side of the equation as I recall.

Willie seems like a good guy and I wish him luck. I didn't like a lot of his decisions when he was here. I bet he would be a great assistant but I seem to remember him getting outmatched by other head coaches while here. Surprised at this decision by the Kings.

I always felt WD was more fit to be a coach on a older veteran type team then a rebuild team, he just never wanted to have the patience to let kids make mistakes and learn, so imo this is a good opportunity for WD, LA is more older team so maybe his system will work better now. Although the goalie situation sucks for him lol.

Archived