The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Kings fire head coach John Stevens; Willie Desjardins named interim head coach

15 hours ago, rekker said:

Meh. I see Willie D kind of like the "Reid Boucher" type of coach. Real good minor leuguer and junior guy who had success at those levels. Not sure if he can think the game quick enough and adjust to the NHL level. 

Unlike Boucher WD actually did well in his first season in the NHL. 101 points. Then JB and TL expected him to drag a team off the street and keep winning.

Transcript via Dan Rosen of some of the quotes from that interview.  

His full article here: https://lakingsinsider.com/2018/11/05/building-pace-and-digging-in-and-some-reflection-on-desjardins-first-day/

“It’s funny, the speed of the game has come through the puck more than skating – the way the puck moves,” he said. “And the one thing is these guys are really smart. They have some really smart guys out here that know where to go and what to do. I think one thing we’ll try to do – people who saw practice – we’ll jump at the start of practice. Every day we’ll get our habits, we’re moving our feet and going. But they can play faster just because of how smart they are.”

“It’s hard, because one of the big things you need from players and coaches, you’ve got to have some trust, and trust I gained over time. But we don’t have time for that. We can’t say, ‘well, we’ll play five games and try to build that trust.’ We can’t. It’s kind of like you’ve got to trust each other right now. That’s harder to do, but we have to do it.”

Willie Desjardins, on how he would like the LA Kings to play:
I want to see us play fast. The word ‘passion’ has been used. I want to see us play with passion. I want us to be excited when we get to the rink. I want us to start each period quick. We want to find ways to win. We’re all about finding ways to win, so when we come to a game, that’s how we approach it. Obviously you hate to lose, but more than hating to lose, we love to win and finding ways to win.

Desjardins, on any messages or themes from the first day of meetings and practice:
I think the theme we had is you can’t wait. You only have so many years that you have a chance to win, and you’ve got to win now. The easy road would be to say ‘we can’t do it this season.’ But you can’t afford to waste the season, because you never know what’s going to happen in the future. It’s the same with me. I didn’t know if I’d get another shot at the NHL, so this is my chance. I’ve got to make it work, and I think that’s the same message to the players. You have to find a way to make this season work. What exactly it is, well, we have to find it out, and some of it will be finding it out as we go, but we have to find a way to make it work.

Willie leaves our old man group for another old man group and is expected to make old slow players work in the new speed youth world we are in. Poor guy. Lol. LA is the oldest team in the league. They have 3 guys in the 20-24 range (least in the entire league, for reference we have 9 players in that range), 0 under 20 (we only have 1 so that's not a huge deal, most teams only have 1 or 2 under 20). (All according to RosterResource). LA is in the same position I'd say Torts was in when he picked up our team. Best of luck Willie, but if LA really wants to be competitive again they need to get faster not fire coaches.

Edit: the RosterResource numbers for Vancouver may be misleading because we have so many injuries, not sure if it accounts for extra/missing bodies.

Archived