The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

"Prospective Seattle NHL team hires former Canucks executive"

Totally milking it too seem like Linden with the title and picture...

Hockey, Sports

Prospective Seattle NHL team hires former Canucks executive

D65ee5c0c621138e6583683efa1bd7fe?s=96&d=mm&r=g
Rob WilliamsNov 05, 2018 5:43 pm7,237

Seattle’s future NHL team continues to take shape.

Though they don’t officially have a franchise yet, NHL owners unanimously recommended a Seattle expansion team in October. The NHL Board of Governors are expected to approve Seattle as the league’s 32nd team in early December, with a new team likely beginning play in 2020.

So it’s basically all systems go for the prospective NHL team, who announced a key hiring on Monday. Former Vancouver Canucks executive Victor de Bonis has been hired as OVG-Seattle’s Chief Operating Officer. As COO, de Bonis will work closely with CEO Tod Leiweke – another former Canucks exec – on the business operations side.

“Victor has been a key player in the Vancouver Canucks’ operational success and is a longtime sports industry veteran,” said Leiweke in a media release. “I’m excited to bring on individuals that I’ve personally worked with and have seen their successes firsthand. I know they will keep the astounding momentum going as we continue on a path to make the case for Seattle to be awarded an NHL franchise.”

With 32,000 season ticket deposits secured and $700 million in renovations upcoming to KeyArena, Seattle has the demand and the venue for an NHL team.

“I am excited to be coming into Seattle Hockey Partners on the ground floor and to get the chance to work with Tod again,” said de Bonis. “There’s nothing like bringing a franchise to a new city, and having a second chance to do so is an honour, including being a part of the team.”

De Bonis spent 23 years in the Canucks’ front office, including nine years as COO from 2007 to 2016, before leaving the Aquilini Group last year.

This will surely further fuel rumours that former Canucks president and general manager Mike Gillis is destined for the Emerald City.

“If [the new Seattle NHL team] flattered me enough by asking if I’d be interested in talking with them, I’d be most definitely interested,” Gillis said on Vancouver radio last month, before admitting that he’s known Leiweke for years.

Gillis and de Bonis worked together and enjoyed great success during their time in Vancouver, which included a multi-year sellout streak and an appearance in the Stanley Cup Final.

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/seattle-nhl-victor-de-bonis-canucks

I talked with Victor de Bonis a few times and met him and I have to say, he was an incredibly down to earth and nice guy. Talked about his kids and family. Felt like I was just talking with an old buddy of mine. I had some concerns as a STH and he listened to them and seemed to actually care. I was sad to see him go. It left a bad taste in my mouth when he resigned from the Canucks, and then a year later we see Trevor Linden also quit. Part of me wonders what is going on behind the scenes for these guys to just get up and leave. I do know that Victor de Bonis basically felt like he had zero pull at the Canucks organization. I think he felt like they just kept him around because he had been there for so long and sort of knew everything and everyone, but from a creative standpoint he had very little say in new ideas or anything. It sounds like in Seattle he will actually be utilized to his full potential and that will be great!

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

If they don't pick up Gillis and AV I am very disappointed. Watch the Sedins come out of retirement to captain/alternate captain their team. 

What about some former trainers too?

I like that Seattle is coming into the league, but I'm also not looking forward to the coming narrative of who gets to wear the black hat vs white hat in the Pacific NW. 

3 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

I talked with Victor de Bonis a few times and met him and I have to say, he was an incredibly down to earth and nice guy. Talked about his kids and family. Felt like I was just talking with an old buddy of mine. I had some concerns as a STH and he listened to them and seemed to actually care. I was sad to see him go. It left a bad taste in my mouth when he resigned from the Canucks, and then a year later we see Trevor Linden also quit. Part of me wonders what is going on behind the scenes for these guys to just get up and leave. I do know that Victor de Bonis basically felt like he had zero pull at the Canucks organization. I think he felt like they just kept him around because he had been there for so long and sort of knew everything and everyone, but from a creative standpoint he had very little say in new ideas or anything. It sounds like in Seattle he will actually be utilized to his full potential and that will be great!

I heard he was from the East side. Maybe Frank Aquilini didn't value his input as much anymore.

Archived