The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hawks fire Quennville

VanGnome

35 minutes ago, Quantum said:

My gut says we are going to see AV coach the Seattle team. He probably takes the year off to recharge his batteries after almost 15 years coaching in the league between Vancouver and NYR.

JQ probably ends up in Anaheim or St. Louis

Blashill will coach the remainder of the season with Detroit but get fired in the offseason.

Sheldon Keefe will get hired somewhere in the offseason.

I'm interested to see how Jeremy Collition does as NHL's youngest head coach. Is Jeremy the youngest NHL head coach at 33? He was apparently drafted only a few spots before Corey Crawford the year they were both drafted. 

Interesting day in Chicago 

He was picked 6 spots after Crawford, and will now be coaching him. Interesting dynamic.

Edit: Seabrook was from that famous 2003 draft too

I hear Ottawa needs a new coach.

My bets lie on Edmonton, Ottawa and Arizona to find a way to bring him in.

It's shocking how fast he got turfed though when you consider what he did with that team that had major parts of its core outside of Toews/Kane/Keith and Seabrook essentially rebuilt 4 times under his tenure

1 minute ago, BobbyClarke said:

Damn, I want JQ here.  Do it all again with our young prospects.

why? Green's getting the most out of this team. Don't see how JQ makes an appreciable difference where this team is currently at. 

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

why? Green's getting the most out of this team. Don't see how JQ makes an appreciable difference where this team is currently at. 

Because JQ is a proven winner and started with the Hawks in a similar situation.  JQ will not be out of work for long and that speaks for itself.  

Don't get me wrong, I like Trent, I just like JQ more.

The start of the article below is not behind the paywall:

Fall guy: Joel Quenneville takes the heat for Stan Bowman’s roster decisions

Stan and Scotty Bowman won.

The Blackhawks fired the second-winningest coach in NHL history on Tuesday, jettisoning Joel Quenneville after the best 10-year stretch in the history of the franchise. It’s as unthinkable as it was inevitable, the end of a power struggle that has lasted more than six years. And if you have any doubt about that, just look at whom the Blackhawks have named an assistant coach in the wake of the firing of Quenneville and his top two lieutenants, Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson: Barry Smith.

It was Smith, you might remember, who was foisted upon Quenneville during the 2011-12 season against his wishes, ordered by Bowman to join Quenneville on the ice to work with the anemic power play. Multiple sources said Quenneville was furious and angrily confronted Bowman about it. Smith was reporting back to Bowman directly, and Quenneville strongly resented his presence.

Quenneville was closer to being fired after that season than most people realize,.

Archived