The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Hawks fire Quennville

VanGnome

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Their situation isn't much better with Holland's mismanagement.  Edmonton is my pick, which isn't good for the rest of our division.

I wouldn't be that worried, he still can't do the skating for Lucic. 

39 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Vancouver has had some outstanding coaches, but none at Quennville's level imo. 

Have to play with the card you are dealt (if you're given a bad hand, there's not much you can do except bluff).

Torts was an awful coach for *that particular Canucks team*.  But he's also the guy that won the NHL coach of the year award twice.  One of those awards came one or two years after he got canned by the Canucks (suspect he might get canned again by the Blue Jackets this season).

7 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Stan Bowman just trying to save his butt.  Yes Quenneville's time might have expired, but Bowman has made way more mistake than Q.  Panarin/Saad, Seabrook extension, trading young players like Hartman, Teravainen, Danault.

Panarin Saad wasn't a bad idea, if Saad had actually worked out... Blackhawks cant afford the 8million+/year Panarin is going to command. 

11 hours ago, timberz21 said:

Stan Bowman just trying to save his butt.  Yes Quenneville's time might have expired, but Bowman has made way more mistake than Q.  Panarin/Saad, Seabrook extension, trading young players like Hartman, Teravainen, Danault.

He mostly inherited his team too. Toewes, Kane, Keith, Seab, Crawford, and I might be wrong but even Hossa was signed by Tallon. Not sure if he is really a good GM compared to other GMs except for the fact that he gets to have his hall of fame dad as an advisor and yet he screwed it up.

Interesting, imo it's the GM who is at fault not Joel, why did they go get Kunitz.... I know last year there was some stuff going on Joel was healthy scratching Seabrook and someone else forgot who, but he didn't seem happy with some of his players efforts last year, maybe it's kind of going on again and they just decided to change the coach instead. Look for someone else who's younger to deal with these new millenials who seem to not be able to handle the older style of coaches who are harder on players.

I did first think of AV when I saw the title, but I guess not now, someone else mentioned it this will probably start the trend with more coaches possibly being fired sooner now, so Joel and AV will have another opportunity to join a team. Although the one coach I'd like to see get another shot or chance as a head coach in the NHL is Marc Crawford, if he is still interested I would think he would be, but would like to see him have another chance.

From Friedman's 31 thoughts

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-fallout-senators-uber-video/

1. With the stunning announcement that Joel Quenneville is out after the greatest run in Chicago Blackhawks’ history, it was impossible not to wonder if the heat transferred squarely on to the shoulders of GM Stan Bowman. Team President John McDonough temporarily quashed that saying, “I did not consider (firing) both. I believe in this roster, I believe in Stan.” 

He’s a demanding boss, however, and made it very clear a prolonged rebuild is not on the menu. “My expectations are that this is a playoff team. Sometimes, as painful as it is, we need a fresh start.” For his part, Bowman did not seem eager to alter the roster, saying “I think we have to let things set a little bit here.” Whatever the case, Quenneville’s firing is the beginning of the dismantling of the Blackhawks dynasty. Seismic day.

2. McDonough offered clarity on why the Blackhawks chose not to make the change at the end of last season, arguing the unexpected losses of Corey Crawford and Marian Hossa made 2017-18 a little unfair for Quenneville, that he deserved another shot. Things looked great early, with a rejuvenated Jonathan Toews launching Chicago out of the gate. Crawford returned and stood on his head for a couple of games. But, as the results reversed, one event stuck out. 

The Blackhawks did not put a player in the penalty box for the ejected Duncan Keith last Saturday night in Calgary, and were caught killing an extra 1:47 when there was no whistle as the five minutes expired. That’s too coincidental to be anything but the final straw in the lengthy behind-the-scenes Cold War between Quenneville and Stan Bowman. Bowman once again rejected that characterization, saying it is “just not true,” but there is way too much smoke out there not to believe…something. 

From Mike Kitchen to Niklas Hjalmarsson to Artemi Panarin, things were never easy, culminating in Quenneville’s refusal to attend the first round of the 2017 NHL Draft in Chicago (the day Hjalmarsson and Panarin were traded). It’s completely foreign to me, because when you are that successful there is plenty of credit to go around. Hopefully, someday in the future, they will put up a banner (retire his moustache?) and give him the sendoff he deserves. 

Quenneville objected to Barry Smith’s on-ice presence in practice seven years ago, and Smith is now an assistant to new Hawks coach Jeremy Colliton. This hiring is a sign that, as wealthy as the Blackhawks are, there’s a limit. Departed assistants Kevin Dineen and Ulf Samuelsson combine for around $1 million per season. Add Quenneville’s $6 million this year and next. That’s a lot of dead money. 

3. Does Quenneville want to coach, or does he wish to recharge? Another team can’t just pay him $1, holding the Blackhawks responsible for the rest. A new employer has to offer something resembling the market rate.

4. One note about Colliton’s coaching: opponents said AHL Rockford became much more aggressive under him. Lots of activity from the defence in the offensive zone, which is similar to what the NHL club prefers. They also aggressively held the blue line, stopping and attacking in certain cases. Previously, they tended to sag back and protect the net.

Archived