The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(our own) Richard Brodeur vs Wayne Gretzky

Kevin Biestra

It has been a somewhat well-documented NHL record that our own Richard Brodeur (first ever Memorial Cup MVP, WHA AVCO Cup Champion, hero of our 1982 playoff run) was the goalie against whom Wayne Gretzky scored the most goals.

I was wondering if someone with better access to statistics than myself could find out / confirm if Richard Brodeur is also the goalie who made the most saves against Wayne Gretzky?

Long live the King.

I imagine that's such a niche stat that it isn't really documented. Especially for 30+ years ago. Most saves against a specific player? If someone can find that stat kudos to you.

As for King Richard getting lit by Gretzky, I did not know that. All I know is Richard Brodeur has a really sick nickname. Playing in the same division I imagine the Canucks got torched a good many times by the Great One. Was that as fun to watch as it is to watch McDavid come to town?

36 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I imagine that's such a niche stat that it isn't really documented. Especially for 30+ years ago. Most saves against a specific player? If someone can find that stat kudos to you.

As for King Richard getting lit by Gretzky, I did not know that. All I know is Richard Brodeur has a really sick nickname. Playing in the same division I imagine the Canucks got torched a good many times by the Great One. Was that as fun to watch as it is to watch McDavid come to town?

It's not even close. The Oilers of the 80's were head and shoulders above the current Coil. 

No contest

Just now, luckylager said:

It's not even close. The Oilers of the 80's were head and shoulders above the current Coil. 

No contest

Oilers as a whole I know are pretty average, I was speaking specifically to McDavid. I don't watch the Oilers to see Lucic's lead skates. Lol. I watch to see McDavid do something crazy. 

55 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

The stat should be no embarrassment at all to Brodeur.  He was the Canucks' starter in the Smythe division for pretty much all of Gretzky's Oilers career.  In the 80s.  With the Canucks' 80s defense.

Watching Gretzky was something otherworldly.  We didn't appreciate what we were witnessing.

18 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Was that as fun to watch as it is to watch McDavid come to town?

Gretzky's closing in on 50 in 40, 5 goals out, game 40 in Vancouver, I have to get extra tickets, so what happens, game 39 Philly pulls their goalie for an empty netter Gretzky gets 50 in 39 with 3 rotten seconds left, Canucks win 3 - 1,:sadno:

30 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Oilers as a whole I know are pretty average, I was speaking specifically to McDavid. I don't watch the Oilers to see Lucic's lead skates. Lol. I watch to see McDavid do something crazy. 

Wayne did something special every shift.

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

It was the show to beat all shows.  There will never be another team like that one.

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

As a younger guy it definitely makes me sad I never got to see Gretzky or Super Mario or Bure.  

Bure was exciting, but he was nothing compared to the genius of Wayne and the unbelievable skill of Mario. 

Was a great era of hockey.

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I saw them all, but Gretz was far beyond even Mario.  

True

But Wayne never took over a game by force, he took over with smarts and finesse which left you in absolute awe.

Mario was different and IMO, more exciting. The way he'd dangle three guys through the neutral zone then drop his shoulder and knock dmen out of the way at will before totally undressing a goalie... Unreal. 

Just now, luckylager said:

True

But Wayne never took over a game by force, he took over with smarts and finesse which left you in absolute awe.

Mario was different and IMO, more exciting. The way he'd dangle three guys through the neutral zone then drop his shoulder and knock dmen out of the way at will before totally undressing a goalie... Unreal. 

No argument here, I loved Mario too and got to see him play many times, and every shift was magic.  He might have been the most skilled player to ever play the game, but Gretz saw the ice like no ever had or likely ever will. 

Mario made linemates better, Wayne made his entire team better.  

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

I suspect the stats are available to figure this out, but it would involve a lot of manual work. Hockey-Reference has game data back to 1987, but I know there's game data out there dating back to at least the early 50s.

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

No argument here, I loved Mario too and got to see him play many times, and every shift was magic.  He might have been the most skilled player to ever play the game, but Gretz saw the ice like no ever had or likely ever will. 

Mario made linemates better, Wayne made his entire team better.  

Bang on, Stawns. What a beautiful era

Every morning I look at my aging, stain collecting autograph jersey of Richard and think to myself would anyone in Vancouver remember the King. He is such a great guy too if you get to see him around downtown. I wonder how well he would fair in today's game as he was considered to be a top 10 goaltender of the 80s. 

He is also great oil painter in Vancouver side note dont think Gretz or Mario can compete with him n that scale 

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

It has been a somewhat well-documented NHL record that our own Richard Brodeur (first ever Memorial Cup MVP, WHA AVCO Cup Champion, hero of our 1982 playoff run) was the goalie against whom Wayne Gretzky scored the most goals.

I was wondering if someone with better access to statistics than myself could find out / confirm if Richard Brodeur is also the goalie who made the most saves against Wayne Gretzky?

Long live the King.

I believe Dana Murzyn (of all people :P) was one of the rare D that Gretzky had a hard time against (though that might've more in Murzyn's days as a Flamer).

Archived