The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Interview on TSN 1040 Part 2

Rindiculous

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040/gillis-pettersson-coming-along-at-right-time-as-league-emphasizes-offense-1.1206006

Another great interview with Mike Gillis on Sekeres and Price.  I've loved both of these interviews he's given.  He's opened up even more on his point of view as a GM of the Canucks and these interviews have given me a new respect for the man.  Listening to him he was such a contract genius with all the Canucks players, and helped them buy in to the team.  Really got to listen to it for yourself.

7 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Good stuff.  I didn't think 1040 had it in them to put anything worth listening to on the airwaves, but Gillis is an interesting guy when he's not being unnecessarily gruff and terse.

He reminds me of a guy who thinks he’s the smartest guy in the room, which he might be but it’s kind off-putting.

43 minutes ago, rekker said:

To be honest. I still struggle with 2011. Gilles, AV, Lu, Bruins, reffing, Burr, Juice, Kes,  Rome, Twins. Will always hurt. I was around for 82, 94. I though we had it in 2011, really did..... I know......get over it. 

I won't be over it until we actually win.

My friends and I often still discuss how it was ridiculous that we didnt.

52 minutes ago, khay said:

The trade involving Burrows, I wonder who was the counterpart in the deal. MG says that if he made that trade, it would have been a good trade. Maybe Burr + Bieksa + extra for Hedman may indeed have been true. Dang.

He said it was with a "good friend" ... which GM's was GMMG good friends with??

CDC can sleuth this out ... that's a good clue :D 

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Good stuff.  I didn't think 1040 had it in them to put anything worth listening to on the airwaves, but Gillis is an interesting guy when he's not being unnecessarily gruff and terse.

Let's give 1040 a fair shake. They had Laurence Gilman on a number of times and he was great, insightful radio. 1040 used to have any/every decent interview there was in this market. SN650 has provided an alternative, which is great. I even won tickets to Jim Jefferies when he was in town and I've been entered into their NYE in NYC draw. But when it comes down to it, the only differences between the 2 radio stations is 1040 has more commercials and the 650 hosts are glass half full fan boys. Where as 1040 hosts are more TMZ/Tabloid. I'm happy to listen to either though. The more Canucks talk, the better!

1 hour ago, rekker said:

To be honest. I still struggle with 2011. Gilles, AV, Lu, Bruins, reffing, Burr, Juice, Kes,  Rome, Twins. Will always hurt. I was around for 82, 94. I though we had it in 2011, really did..... I know......get over it. 

Yup. I still occasionally say or think “how the F did we lose to Boston?”

We basically needed a lot to happen to lose that year and unfortunately it did.

The one thing that I always appreciated about Gillis was that he made an all-in move for the Cup, and unfortunately it didn't pay off. 

Gillis not replacing Ehrhoff in 2012 and 2013 effectively closed the window of the team, but that 2011 team was something else.

2 hours ago, rekker said:

In my opinion there's no question that the league moved the goalposts after game 2. The Bruins started getting away with all kinds of stuff. Is it just coincidental that no Canadian team has won the cup during Bettman's tenure? I'm not normally a fan of conspiracy theories but I have some friends who work in cancer research and they have used their computer programs to figure the odds on this happening. The numbers are staggering.

12 minutes ago, ynwa said:

In my opinion there's no question that the league moved the goalposts after game 2. The Bruins started getting away with all kinds of stuff. Is it just coincidental that no Canadian team has won the cup during Bettman's tenure? I'm not normally a fan of conspiracy theories but I have some friends who work in cancer research and they have used their computer programs to figure the odds on this happening. The numbers are staggering.

Not just Canadian teams actually. Go watch the Chicago vs Boston final again. Hawks got all the penalties even though they were tiny and the Bruins were gooning it up. Fortunately, the hawks were relatively healthy and Bolland heroics prevented it from going any further or the NHL would have gifted them another cup.

6 hours ago, ynwa said:

Flames and oilers also got screwed in the finals. It is alarming no Canadian team has touched the cup since Bettman. 2011 was our year, we did everything except raise the cup. 

6 hours ago, ynwa said:

what about the 11 american teams that haven't won it in that span? are they also victims of the conspiracy?

your cancer researcher friends are misguided. you can't figure out the odds of something like that because it's not like winning a lottery, stanley cup winners aren't randomly drawn from a hat. it's earned through effort and achievement, skill and luck. teams winning multiple cups is not equivalent to being struck by lightning twice.

maybe it's just coincidence, or maybe factors such as the weak canadian dollar from 1993-2005 (pre-salary cap) and the canadian market fishbowl effect deterring marquee players from coming to canada is to blame. the only sure thing is that there is no conspiracy and any talk of there being one is juvenile. 

6 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Not just Canadian teams actually. Go watch the Chicago vs Boston final again. Hawks got all the penalties even though they were tiny and the Bruins were gooning it up. Fortunately, the hawks were relatively healthy and Bolland heroics prevented it from going any further or the NHL would have gifted them another cup.

Actually Boston was dominating to start. Then Coach Q realized you can't play Boston's way and win. So they started playing what made Chicago good. They used their speed and strong defence and Boston couldn't cope with that. I chalk that up to good coaching, and working with a teams strengths. 

The salary cap has helped balance the league. It's hard to win a cup when the Rangers, Red Wings were outspending everyone. Toronto tried to buy a cup, but countless GM's couldn't pull it off. In fact Pat Quinn was probably one of the better GM's for the Leafs, but he wasn't getting the results the Leafs wanted. 

Doesn't help when Edmonton trades for one of the best D-men in Hockey then is forced to trade him because of his wife wasn't happy. 

Sure helped out Anahiem more than Edmonton. 

8 hours ago, ynwa said:

At some point the league should be sued by the ticket season holders of all the Canadian teams. 

Have a look at the Chicago vs Boston series officiating vs the Canucks vs Boston series.

The lawsuit should also be held in Canada, as it would be the national news lead story for a year, where as in the US it won’t get 2 minutes of midnight cable news mention. 

For anynayers, FIFA, NBA Olympics. So many leagues have had huge scandals regarding rigging the results that it is Gerrymandered.  As another poster commented, odds are staggering that no Canadian team has won the cup since Bettman is statistically so unlikely that it would almost have to be rigged.   

The only exception was Ottawa vs Anaheim.  The Ducks simply crushed the Sens.  There was no need to put the foot on the proverbial scale. 

Archived