The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Mike Gillis Interview on TSN 1040 Part 2

Rindiculous

Though I loved the team he put together, I was never an MG fan because he was so short sighted.  He couldn't see the forest through the trees, and how hard it was going to be to rebuild with those anchor contracts.  That said, he will always be the architect of my of my favourite Canuck incarnations and I'll always appreciate that.

4 hours ago, tas said:

what about the 11 american teams that haven't won it in that span? are they also victims of the conspiracy?

your cancer researcher friends are misguided. you can't figure out the odds of something like that because it's not like winning a lottery, stanley cup winners aren't randomly drawn from a hat. it's earned through effort and achievement, skill and luck. teams winning multiple cups is not equivalent to being struck by lightning twice.

maybe it's just coincidence, or maybe factors such as the weak canadian dollar from 1993-2005 (pre-salary cap) and the canadian market fishbowl effect deterring marquee players from coming to canada is to blame. the only sure thing is that there is no conspiracy and any talk of there being one is juvenile. 

I agree with you about the fact that there is no conspiracy and that the lack of Canadian cups is likely coincidence/luck/lack of skill.  But the numbers are still surprising.

All things being equal (which I know they are not, but most Canadian teams have been both at the top and bottom of the league at some time over the past 25 years), you would expect a Canadian team to have won about 5 or 6 times by now, and the odds that none of them would win during that time is about  0.0018%.  That's pretty remarkable.

26 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

I agree with you about the fact that there is no conspiracy and that the lack of Canadian cups is likely coincidence/luck/lack of skill.  But the numbers are still surprising.

All things being equal (which I know they are not, but most Canadian teams have been both at the top and bottom of the league at some time over the past 25 years), you would expect a Canadian team to have won about 5 or 6 times by now, and the odds that none of them would win during that time is about  0.0018%.  That's pretty remarkable.

it would be remarkable if it wasn't completely meaningless. 17 of the 24 cups since bettman took over were won by 6 teams. 

13 hours ago, Darkstar said:

The one thing that I always appreciated about Gillis was that he made an all-in move for the Cup, and unfortunately it didn't pay off. 

Gillis not replacing Ehrhoff in 2012 and 2013 effectively closed the window of the team, but that 2011 team was something else.

If only Ehrhoff wasn't greedy and decided to take shot in Buffalo for big $$$ and think the team shoe-in to win the Stanley Cup...

23 minutes ago, tas said:

it would be remarkable if it wasn't completely meaningless. 17 of the 24 cups since bettman took over were won by 6 teams. 

It's not meaningless, we just don't know the reason for it.  In any event, it is remarkable.  It is remarkable that 7 teams have been so bad, unlucky, whatever, for so long.  If you give almost quarter of the teams in the league 25 tries to come out on top, it is remarkable when they can't do it - for whatever reason.

13 hours ago, Darkstar said:

The one thing that I always appreciated about Gillis was that he made an all-in move for the Cup, and unfortunately it didn't pay off. 

Gillis not replacing Ehrhoff in 2012 and 2013 effectively closed the window of the team, but that 2011 team was something else.

Ehrhoff dipping the way he did was beyond a joke. It was a joke at the time when he said what he said about Buffalo. He killed his career leaving, effectively killed our chances at getting back to the finals. What a goof.

25 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

It's not meaningless, we just don't know the reason for it.  In any event, it is remarkable.  It is remarkable that 7 teams have been so bad, unlucky, whatever, for so long.  If you give almost quarter of the teams in the league 25 tries to come out on top, it is remarkable when they can't do it - for whatever reason.

but it's not 7 teams, it's 18 teams. the canadian connection is arbitrary and meaningless. 

Not sure about the "you have to put your chips in the middle" quote "if you want to win".

I'm not sure that jives with the "Detroit model".

If you want to win consistently and longer term - you need to build a drafting and developing system to sustain competitiveness.

In that sense, I think Benning's "transition" approachi is actually superior to Gillis'.

What Gillis was outstanding at, though, was filing out a roster with complementary pieces without the internal push of youth and talent to do so.

Ideally he would have focused more on the actual "Detroit model" in that sense, but I'm not one to complain - I really enjoyed his strengths as a GM and watching that team's window, even if it wasn't really extended beyond a few years of prime-time contending.

I really enjoyed the part of how they negotiated everyone's contracts. I'm wondering if Dubas and Gilman are using similar tactics on Nylander.

Could it come down to a final hour sign or trade?  Very fascinating. I thought he was for sure going to say Nick Jensen was his worst pick.

He kind of implied he regretted the Hodgson one because Karlsson turned out so well. But that is more speaking to the play of Karlsson then the career of Hodgson all though I'm sure they can go hand in hand.

38 minutes ago, tas said:

but it's not 7 teams, it's 18 teams. the canadian connection is arbitrary and meaningless. 

not really "meaningless"...

24 cups

0/7 Canadian teams have won the cup.

12/23 US teams have. 

Unless you are really trying to argue that there is a huge discrepancy between the quality of US and CAD teams assembled during this time, the odds of the above happening can be calculated, and it is not a high %.

I like MG a lot. Felt he got some undeserved knocks by many in Vancouver. Anyway, no rear view mirror, I love what we finally are building now. 

His story about AV freaking out butt naked in a hotel hallway at 2 am had me laughing a lot while I was driving around today.:lol:

30 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

not really "meaningless"...

24 cups

0/7 Canadian teams have won the cup.

12/23 US teams have. 

Unless you are really trying to argue that there is a huge discrepancy between the quality of US and CAD teams assembled during this time, the odds of the above happening can be calculated, and it is not a high %.

the thing is, separating the 7 canadian teams that haven't won it from the 11 american teams that also haven't won it is drawing an arbitrary, imaginary line.

13/31 teams have won the cup since '94. the canadian teams just so happen to fall into the 18 that haven't. 

Archived