The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Nov. 13, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

18 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Mario's possibly the best example I can think of who made plugs into stars.  He did it better than EP and was a hell of a lot stronger, but he didn't have the selfless attitude and 200 foot game.  I don't think EP's on Mario's level and I'm fine with that.

(I'm one of the people who will argue until he's blue in the face that Mario was better than Gretzky, but that's a separate argument.)

Yeah that Jagr guy sucked. We still need those elite players on his wing before we can see what he is capable of. This team is still a few years and a couple of drafts away from being great. This year was supposed to be about development, but the early success has put a spotlight on players like Goldy, who people are crapping on for not being elite enough to play with Petey. We're in great shape from a rebuild standpoint. There does need to be the type of pressure that it takes to become a great team, but the growing pains that they're going through are the natural progression for a rebuilding team.

1 minute ago, canuckledraggin said:

Yeah that Jagr guy sucked. We still need those elite players on his wing before we can see what he is capable of. This team is still a few years and a couple of drafts away from being great. This year was supposed to be about development, but the early success has put a spotlight on players like Goldy, who people are crapping on for not being elite enough to play with Petey. We're in great shape from a rebuild standpoint. There does need to be the type of pressure that it takes to become a great team, but the growing pains that they're going through are the natural progression for a rebuilding team.

When Mario was young he had guys like Doug Shedden and Rob Brown and elevated them to 35-40 goal scorers.  Mario was pretty much the only elite guy on the Penguins when he was coming up.  We'll have to make do with a worse supporting cast than Mario had, as those Pens teams would never manage to be cap compliant in today's era.

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I get what you're saying but disagree.

Then he's not in the same convo as the great one. The kid has had something like 10 shots in the past three games and hasn't done anything. Gretzky would have put points on the board by now and been the difference maker.

I'm challenging his hype right now. If he's going to be compared to Gretzky, we need to see more difference making in games. Otherwise he's a mere mortal. ;)

Your challenging the hype of a 20 year old rookie who has had the best season for a rookie in the modern SHL and the best start of a rookie in the modern NHL? He has set up Players who haven't finished and he himself has hit the post. he is in a league of his own and does look tired but that will pass. Not going to get points if your line mates don't play well. He is still leading the Calder and has averaged more than a ppg. and despite 3 games with-out a point he has had chances and set up chances. The team is ravaged by injuries! your comment is embarrassing to all CDC and is a comment CDC'ers should wait until they calm down to make . Is it like 3 of our top power play guys out? He could and would easily have 3 points with the guys back. Gretzky didn't win any cups after leaving the holy city of Edmonton! Gretzky proved its a team game and one player doesn't win championships! But this is like his 13 th game! 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

When Mario was young he had guys like Doug Shedden and Rob Brown and elevated them to 35-40 goal scorers.  Mario was pretty much the only elite guy on the Penguins when he was coming up.  We'll have to make do with a worse supporting cast than Mario had, as those Pens teams would never manage to be cap compliant in today's era.

Sure but there was 2 line passing and people used to water-ski behind the guy with the puck. Goalies didn't wear giant pads and only Iafrate and MacInnis had huge shots...Exaggerating obviously, but composite sticks made everyone dangerous even with a wrist shot. It's just not possible to compare the eras. The science of sport has changed hockey more than any other sport, along with the lou lam coaching. As far as an individual I agree there wasn't anyone better than Mario, but we can't compare anyone from that era to the modern game. It makes no sense.

Just now, cory40 said:

Your challenging the hype of a 20 year old rookie who has had the best season for a rookie in the modern SHL and the best start of a rookie in the modern NHL? He has set up Players who haven't finished and he himself has hit the post. he is in a league of his own and does look tired but that will pass. Not going to get points if your line mates don't play well. He is still leading the Calder and has averaged more than a ppg. and despite 3 games with-out a point he has had chances and set up chances. The team is ravaged by injuries! your comment is embarrassing to all CDC and is a comment CDC'ers. Is it like 3 of our top power play guys out? He could and would easily have 3 points with the guys back. Gretzky didn't win any cups after leaving the holy city of Edmonton! Gretzky proved its a team game and one player doesn't win championships! But this is like his 13 th game! I would like to challenge your IQ based off this bone headed statement! 

Get off me with your personal attack. You had me until you just had to throw that in there, which is revealing.

I don't mind debating anything with anyone but you just showed your IQ with your last sentence, which tells me you're reacting emotionally not logically. If you were as smart as you think you are, you would have recognized that. 

2 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I remember Gretzky being a difference maker. If Petey is going to be in the same convo, he single handedly needs to be clutch!

I remember Gretzky having to learn to be a difference maker! Watch their first Stanley cup series! No points Gretzky. Hey even if he finishes the year with 50 points. He still could be a Gretzky type! But 50 would be a very low number considering players are going to start returning from injury! 

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Get off me with your personal attack. You had me until you just had to throw that in there, which is revealing.

I don't mind debating anything with anyone but you just showed your IQ with your last sentence, which tells me you're reacting emotionally not logically. If you were as smart as you think you are, you would have recognized that. 

I did remove that like 3 seconds after I Posted it. But it did have me wondering! 

1 minute ago, cory40 said:

I remember Gretzky having to learn to be a difference maker! Watch their first Stanley cup series! No points Gretzky. Hey even if he finishes the year with 50 points. He still could be a Gretzky type! But 50 would be a very low number considering players are going to start returning from injury! 

Do you actually get what I'm trying to say?

4 minutes ago, cory40 said:

I get it totally and maybe its the fear that you could be right! Maybe I don't want to go that way yet! But I am sorry for my first reaction!

Dude, thanks for your honesty. I think I may be going to the extreme too quick. At least we can eliminate 100 more useless posts. That's a victory. ;)

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

What a sloppy game tonight. 

The team looks tired. Bo looks tired. 

Sloppy. 

Yeah they're tired alright.  They have played a lot of hockey so far + have had two eastern road trips already. Missing 2 top 6 fwds, #1 dman and their top 2 defensive fwds has pressed players into roles above their heads and has significantly increased minutes of play for others.  Most of them (probably all of them) have been playing beyond expectations and are playing hard at it. 

I give then a ton of credit for what they have achieved, but I don't know if it's sustainable for much longer.  Getting Brock back will help a lot, but they really need Edler, Beagle and Sutter badly. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen anytime soon, so I think we will see a bit of a roller coaster ride until then.

I will keep cheering for them regardless of game outcomes, because the team's hard work, character and heart is obvious and I also see a vision of a future that looks very bright. 

GCG

Nothing to worry about re:Pettersson.

The team has no top line right now, period.  Horvat is forced into shutdown service, Baertschi is out, Boeser is out.

Pettersson's line is isolated - and the rookie does not have a full complement, period.

Not only Sutter and Beagle absent to stem the opposition and produce territory, but likewise on the blueline - and it all adds up to an exhausted, depleted young group of players stepping up into roles they're not all ready for.

Nothing of real concern - aside from the health of the club.

This will pass.

Not even mad.

These guys are hanging in there pretty well, considering.  Very impressed with them, nearly to a man.

23 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Yeah they're tired alright.  They have played a lot of hockey so far + have had two eastern road trips already. Missing 2 top 6 fwds, #1 dman and their top 2 defensive fwds has pressed players into roles above their heads and has significantly increased minutes of play for others.  Most of them (probably all of them) have been playing beyond expectations and are playing hard at it. 

I give then a ton of credit for what they have achieved, but I don't know if it's sustainable for much longer.  Getting Brock back will help a lot, but they really need Edler, Beagle and Sutter badly. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen anytime soon, so I think we will see a bit of a roller coaster ride until then.

I will keep cheering for them regardless of game outcomes, because the team's hard work, character and heart is obvious and I also see a vision of a future that looks very bright. 

GCG

I agree completely. The team as is only has a chance to win if everyone is playing at their absolute best. Many guys are logging way more minutes than they should and while they were holding their heads above water, late into this road trip, it's starting to show. 

Im just happy that the games are fun to watch. 

3 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Observations ...

If we didn't have Marky, we'd be frakked!

Yeeeess, indeed. Marky, with his sparkling 3.28 GAA and .896 Sv%. Where would we be without him and not an actual average starting netminder?...

Sorry about the sarcasm, no offence intended. We see things on opposite ends of the spectrum though. Today I saw Markstrom get beaten 5 times, again. That's cool when we're scoring 6 or more but we dont have a chance most of the time that way. Markstrom has started 14 games now and this was the sixth time he's allowed 5 or more goals. I know the defense isn't very good and we have key injuries, but I cant understand giving Markstrom credit for the Canucks not being frakked. Now that the scoring is drying up we're starting down the road to being just that. Frakked.

3 hours ago, Rounoush said:

Why are the Canucks the only team to play 20 games? It's definitely showing.

at the end of the season it will all be equal.

At some point  the boys will play at home against teams that are playing more often than they are

Archived