The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at New York Islanders | Nov. 13, 2018

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Just putting it out there? 

What would you do, start Bachman?      yes, Bachman has 47 career games and is 1 game over 500, marky has lost the last 2 and has not gottenany rest playing back2back

Give D zone draws to Gaunce & Gaudette with Sutter &  Beagle out?  Pettersson??  I think Bo might be tired, at the end of long road trip tagging the matchups. But he's a big boy. This is his 5th year. It is exactly time to put a load on him. Where it would have been better had it been possible we could have sheltered him his second year.

Yes, give Gaunce 1/2 bo's defensive zone starts. Gaunce is defensive veteran (ya gaunce is now a vet) depth, than give Bo 35% more O zones starts

Oh wait, call up McEwen? Maybe, we do seem to be a forward short.

Nap, Bo has 17 points in 20 games.  His team solidly in playoff position, 4th in the West while they shelter younger guys on his back.   Covered this with Gaunce.

Goldobin?  Leipsic played 19 minutes. Jake 17. He also had power play time. There was a switch up in minutes allocated. You missed it. 0goal Gaudette on the PP isn't helping, put Gub'ner in front of the net,

Be a fan and enjoy the game.  Am enjoying the game but would like to see fresher players

1 hour ago, mll said:

Minutes played too and intensity of the game.  Pettersson was playing slightly above 16min in Sweden - 16:17 in the regular season and just under 16 min in the post-season. Against Colorado and Detroit he played over 22 minutes,  vs Buffalo over 24 minutes.  Since his return from injury - he has averaged 19:40 per game. 

Yeah the have to be careful, they don't ride him into the ground.

I know they wanna win, but its more important the youngsters gets to get used to the intensity of the NHL, before they are expected to carry the team on their back.

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Agree totally on Pettersson, but could Pettersson being slightly off also have something to do with the amount of games being played starting to take its toll on him?

Games at least every other night across the country, hotels etc etc... I'm not sure, but I don't think their schedule is anywhere near as hectic in Sweden, so he may improve once they get back to Vancouver again.

But yeah, he will start to become frustrated...

21 minutes ago, lmm said:

I agree except I would have played Gaunce in place of Liepsic... and without Leiper we'd have had 0 goals

But seriously, when you are the busiest team in the league, you need to use your bench.

Gaunce could sub in for Gaudtte, Leipsic, Goldy Motte, Archieven Petey because he looks tired

Biega could sub for Pouliot, Stecher or DelZ

and Bachman could play a game for Markstrom because he too looks tired

and every player that comes out would come back better

5 hours ago, The Great Canucks said:

Injuries have caught up to this team. We just can't keep playing like this.

A few late comments.

1. The Canucks were unlucky to lose against the Rangers. Against the Islanders the Canucks were outplayed, but not by a big margin. A bad play by Marky on the first goal, a bounce in off Tanev's skate, and a bounce-in off Kuhnhackl's skate (marginal kick-in, but I can see why the goal was not overturned). The games were not that different from games earlier in the season when the Canucks came away with points.

2. To some extent we are observing regression to the mean. Earlier in the season the Canucks were getting more points than you would normally expect given the quality of play. The last three games they have gotten less. As of a few games ago Pettersson had a shooting percentage of about 36%, for example. That is obviously not sustainable.

3. Fatigue was also a factor tonight. As Imm says, it would make sense to bring Gaunce in, and maybe Biega. And I voted for starting Backman tonight. Marky looks tired.

4. On the subject of fatigue, I am sure it is affecting Pettersson. Big minutes, playing center, absorbing a lot of hits (some cheap shots)  from bigger and stronger opponents, lots of travel and lots of games in a short period. It is tough to get used to. And he would be a lot better with Boeser on the wing. I would keep his minutes down. And we just have to be patient.

5. I have been down on Goldy for a while. The 3rd goal (I think it was the third) was on him. Just a lazy backcheck. The trouble is that it happens much too often. And he has not been good on the PP. Too many sloppy passes and too many losses of possession. He scored against the Islanders but with the all the looks he gets his scoring rate is too low. He needs to focus -- bear down and bury the puck. He wouldn't be playing top 6 if Baertschi and Boeser were healthy, but I wouldn't wait for those guys to come back to try someone else with Pettersson.(And Green has tried different combinations. Hope something gels.)

6. On the positive side, nice to Jake playing well, nice to see Leipsic have a strong game, and Bo continues to play well.I also continue to like Hutton's game. And Stecher does not get enough respect. 

7. And injuries are  hurting. It is about time that the Canuck injury situation "regressed" to the mean. I would love to just have an average level of the injuries right now instead of being the hardest hit team in the league. All the key injuries: Edler, Boeser, Sutter, Beagle, Baertschi, and Nilsson are really hurting the team in obvious ways. And I guess none of those guys are close to returning.

Went to bed last night after 1st period... 3-1 Down and work in the morning...

Anyway just got to watch the highlights.

Can anyone explain to me how the goal in of a skate was allowed to stand?

If that isn't a kicking motion, what the hell is?

He is clearly changing the direction of his skate towards the goal, so it should surely not be deemed a kicking motion....

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Went to bed last night after 1st period... 3-1 Down and work in the morning...

Anyway just got to watch the highlights.

Can anyone explain to me how the goal in of a skate was allowed to stand?

If that isn't a kicking motion, what the hell is?

He is clearly changing the direction of his skate towards the goal, so it should surely not be deemed a kicking motion....

Changing the angle of the skate to direct the puck into the net is allowed.  From the rule book - art. 49.2:

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. 

24 minutes ago, mll said:

Changing the angle of the skate to direct the puck into the net is allowed.  From the rule book - art. 49.2:

A puck that deflects into the net off an attacking player’s skate who does not use a distinct kicking motion is a legitimate goal. A puck that is directed into the net by an attacking player’s skate shall be a legitimate goal as long as no distinct kicking motion is evident. 

Cheers @mll appreciate you finding the rule from the rule book.

But he still moves his skate towards the goal...It is a kicking motion 100%. 

He doesn't just change the angle of his skate, he side foots it in... A good old fashioned tap in... not just a deflection.

Or at least its how I see it.

7 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Yikes, not many good performances all around.  

As bad as Marky was to start the game, he kept it from becoming a blowout.  

I thought Gudbranson, MDZ, Leipsic, and Virtanen had good games.  Not much to say about the others.

The bad starts kill us though. It is never the same game when you are trying to catch up. I'm sick of the guy. No1 priority a goalie who at least doesn't make so many momentum killing blunders.

2 hours ago, spook007 said:

He doesn't just change the angle of his skate, he side foots it in... A good old fashioned tap in... not just a deflection.

Steering vs kicking.  There's that little tap at the end that should have disallowed the goal but it comes down to how they interpret 'distinct'.  It's inconsistent because whoever is in charge that time might have a different perception of what is distinct vs someone ruling on another night.  Another official and that goal could have equally been disallowed.  

imo, the players are giving their all, sometimes it's enough to win, sometimes not. most games, it is enough to hold them in games. we have accepted the fact that until this team is rebuilt, they will struggle to stay competitive. how many of our players could make and play for any top team in the league. 

some players might be miscast but, green's job is to try and win. he doesn't have at his disposal, cdc's hindsight coaches. if we could coach from hindsight,  we could all be nhl coaches. 

9 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Sutherland belongs in prison for rigging games. There is no way you will ever convince me that worthless piece of trash is a good person.  No league that is on the level would continue to employ such a disgrace to the sport.  Time for the NHL to hold him accountable for his crimes.

Yea watch one sport then call it the worst officiating in pro sports. You have no idea what you’re talking about. Officiating in basketball is much worse and the nfl you never know what will be a catch or fumble or penalty. Then in baseball you’ve umpires doing playoff games who call strikes on clear balls.. the nhl tries hard to get it right.. you could argue so does the nfl but the nba is by far the worst not even comparable to any league and it has a history of rigging games. 

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

It’s not a kicking motion. He turns his skate and deflects it in. People just love to bitch about refs so they can blame them for everything. It was even reviewed get over it. It’s a goal. 

1 minute ago, peaches5 said:

It’s not a kicking motion. He turns his skate and deflects it in. People just love to bitch about refs so they can blame them for everything. It was even reviewed get over it. It’s a goal. 

Well I totally disagree....

He slightly lifts his skate, changes the angle and make motion towards the goal...

It has got f all to do with bitching about the refs or blaming the them for everything. This call was made from HQ. All to do with consistency....

There is another thread here, which shows a lot of No-Goal calls... If they are no goals, then surely this a no goal neither.

We can argue till the sun goes down, how much you need to move your leg for it to be a kicking motion. But this is not just him changing the angle of his skate. He lifts his foot and moves it slightly sidewards towards the goal. 

In the condensed video at 6:26 it is seen clearly he moves his foot sidewards into the crease to flick the puck in the net.

I called the 4th goal. Apparently not enough of a "sweeping motion". Not enough of a stop either. Awful call. But based on the last 5 games or so it became predictable. Reffing has been aids for us this road trip. At least it was awful on both sides tonight but wow, what an awful goal. Spirit of the rule. Can you use it. 

Gotta day.  Green made his first legitimate error in starting marky who was not ready to play and later was almost injured.  Too many games.  Too little practice has historically proven to not work for markstrom.  He overcommitted so hard on that one play he nearly blew his knee 6’ out of the crease.  Hoping green never makes this call again.

goldy played worse last night.  Floating.  He better snap out of it and put in the work or he’ll play his way back to Utica.  Kid needs to realize it’s about ep and not himself.

islanders did a great job of staying close to Pettersson and burrying him every chance they got.  Ep took a lot of bumps last night and skated himself into a dead end.  Definitely needs help out there and an option for a shot and or pass.

team is working hard though.

Archived